Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you change about the stadium (and site) if it could be done over again?

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Steeper rake in the north stand.

If the law that bans standing areas at grounds ever gets revoked, I'd like to see standing areas in the North stand.

Other than that, the place is bloody brilliant and I wouldn't swap it for anywhere, I can't believe just how quickly this season has gone and for me, the stadium has been a major influence there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But 'the mega money' they take will just be transferred from what most people spend in the ground. Yes there are gripes about the catering but I seem to remember at Withdean there were plenty of queues at the southstand outlets.

I would think not I as I am sure there are a lot of people who do not want a pie and do not like the hot dogs etc that are on offer so spend nothing. I never buy food in the concourses as I think the pies are too dry and difficult to eat. I accept that I may be in the minority with that but if I want anything to eat I wait until after the game and buy something away from the stadium and judging by the queue in the chippie by the Hikers and others in Moulscombe etc I wouldn't think that I am alone. If travelling by train I wait until I get into Brighton. If others do the same that is a lot of lost revenue.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Can't change the site at Falmer, it is what it is - and at least it is within the City boundaries. The Stadium compliments the site well and has made most of the limited options available. I agree that probably the only thing inside would be to have a steeper rake in the North stand. Even so the next phase of development will make it even more special and probably address most 'half finished' comments from away fans.

On the outside I would have hoped for a more radical approach to the transport infrastructure ie a shared park and ride facility serving the Unis and enhanced rail station but these are largely beyond the Clubs control. Maybe a community / partnership approach will allow some of this to happen later? Ideally we would have one or two more pubs too, but at least we have decent concourses which adds to the Clubs coffers.

I like the fact that 'our' stadium is distinctive and the transport policy is rightly focused on public transport - although many visiting fans who are pampered do struggle with that. Maybe we have a bit more to do on communicating the 'stay behind after the match, mingle and have a beer or two and let the crowds disperse' approach. Fans just need to allow a bit more time to get to/from the City.

OK it would be nice to have huge car parks within 2 minutes of your seat as at the Keepmoat, KC or Pride Park (and Amsterdam) but they are largely located in faceless commercial retail parks that could be anywhere. Maybe The KC has the edge on others because it has the parking and transport links but also well served by pubs and take aways etc. plus only 5 minutes from the motorway. For all the other grounds I think dear old London Road Peterborough has a great mix going for it - a traditional ground with a mix of old and new facilities, that terrace, no concourse but then it's only a few minutes walk from the town centre, decent pubs, the riverside, parking nearby and pretty good public transport. I guess it helps that we have done well there recently so has the feel good factor for Albion fans.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Absolutely nothing, it is unique and it is our home.

Finally we are together in a beautiful stadium, bollox to all the away fans that whinge normally as they lose.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As a Brighton fan I wouldn't know what the Emirates experience is like.

As a Brighton fan of 40 years, with a brother in law season ticket holding Arsenal fan, I occasionally go to the Emirates with him when in london. In return, whenever he can, he watches Brighton with me, usually London away games but wants me to take him to the Amex before the season ends.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Falmer Station (& Lewes) able to serve 12 Car Trains, with shuttles running Brighton to Lewes pre & post match

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Couldn't agree more...I absolutely love it. Catching the train to Falmer just builds the excitement ans anticipation....It's like going to the Cup Final every game.....and when you get there...the music mix and video leading up to GOSBTS...goose pimples.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I watched our club on the brink of going out of existence. I used to drive around with Archer Out posters all over my car because I didn't want the Goldstone to be sold. Frankly I am ecstatic we have a modern stadium we can call home. I still can't quite believe it's true. Now we have it, i really couldnt give a flying f*** about paint jobs and ceiling tiles. Just look at the pitch for crying out loud! Our team, now playing pretty f***ing good football on a superb pitch in our own stadium. 15 years ago I would never thought the Amex possible. Ceiling tiles? How about some nice carpet as well?

Absolutely agree with you 100% mate. Some f*cking Pompey scrote - and the bloke who complained about there being no pubs nearby is a scrote, cos I know him - has a moan about the place and we're meant to agree his opinion has some basis. F*ck that. One of the reasons Pompey are in such financial turmoil is because they don't have a ground that makes them cash on both matchdays and non-matchdays. Ours does both. I'm glad we give the club money for the catering rather than buying a turd burger from some poxy third rate stall outside. Likewise I'm over the moon that we give our hard earnt dough buying beer from the Albion, rather than from some faceless Wetherspoons/Yates chain pub nearby. F*ck pompey and f*ck their opinions. I love the Amex and completely understand the reasons for its shape and its location.

The one thing I'd change? The terrible wig that I saw some bloke wearing on saturday - you ain't fooling anyone pal.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'd have levelled off the ground level so that in all stand players enter at the same height and therefore the concourses could be linked up with each other. Also would love it if the corners were filled in and the seats circled the whole pitch in rings like at the Emirates.

It looks incredible from the outside but from the East stand it feels very big and spacious but I'm hoping this will change once all expansions are completed

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I'd switch the south and north stands so away fans are in the north. Having aways in the north would make sense as post-match they would not have to walk against Albion fans heading towards the PnR. The disabled facilities are more varied and better in the south, be nice for Albion supporters to have access to these. Also, new boxes are to be installed above the south and I'm guessing Albion supporters might prefer to be perched above their own instead of a load of opposing fans.

This could still be done though.

Things like this is what I was getting at. Definitely would make more sense for away fans to be in the North but there's no chance of away corporate seats being built above it, so I guess that could never happen.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
if the north was steeper and the corners were filled.. and if the seats go all the way round.

i have too much spare time (student) so tried this out to see what it would look like if there were seats.. wherever there could be

stade.jpg

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I would have it suspended in the air above Brighton and only accessible by a series of giant ladders, or helicopter if you're in the 1901 club.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think The Amex is a work of art. I can't think of much I would change. My biggest gripe by far is the huge gap between the seats and the roof in the East Stand, but clearly this will be sorted when the second tier goes in. That will result in PERFECTION. The location is good because every form of realistic transport is on offer. People moan about the trains but seriously, ask yourself what other stadiums have a station within about 200 yards of the pitch. Barely any. If you have to wait 20 minutes to catch a train, so what? You'd be walking for 40 just to reach the station in lots of towns. From the outside, it looks magnificent. Inside it's just so clean and high in quality, you can really tell why it cost so much compared to places like Cardiff, Leicester and Southampton that just look a bit like they're made from plastic. The food is great, the noise is great, the views are great. And best of all, because of the years it took to get there, it has a real sense of being special and an emotional attachment that I just can't imagine other new stadiums have. I'm not ashamed to say I am in love like never before.

blimey...i agree!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here