Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you change about the stadium (and site) if it could be done over again?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The club to take over the catering completely and make more burger type outlets available like Reading on the route leading from the station. They would make a killing just selling basic footie fayre, burgers hot dogs sausage/ bacon sandwiches and drinks it may reduce the number of pies but the overall cash turnover increase would be astronomical. Oh yes they would have to apply for a licence variation, which I am sure that they must be considering, even now.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The bits that are planned to be done will make a whole world of difference, including filling in the holes in the south stand. I agree about the rake of north and south stand, I do not like the windows in the east stand (will the extra tier cover these) and more stand up tables are needed on the concourses.
I am sure that as time goes by things like a bit if paint and murals etc will be used to cover up concrete etc, but its not even a year old yet.
One more thing, I did think that a false ceiling on the concourses would really finish them off and hide the pipes etc.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
It would be nice if they finished off (added) ceilings to the concourses. It would look more finished then.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I would have made the north and south stands bigger, I'd also paint all the concrete white or maybe even blue and white so it doesn't look so bare.....perhaps the club could do that anyway?

This. I would also prefer it if it was not rows of advertising boards in the West stand but rather a place where WSU could hang flags and banners.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think The Amex is a work of art. I can't think of much I would change. My biggest gripe by far is the huge gap between the seats and the roof in the East Stand, but clearly this will be sorted when the second tier goes in. That will result in PERFECTION. The location is good because every form of realistic transport is on offer. People moan about the trains but seriously, ask yourself what other stadiums have a station within about 200 yards of the pitch. Barely any. If you have to wait 20 minutes to catch a train, so what? You'd be walking for 40 just to reach the station in lots of towns. From the outside, it looks magnificent. Inside it's just so clean and high in quality, you can really tell why it cost so much compared to places like Cardiff, Leicester and Southampton that just look a bit like they're made from plastic. The food is great, the noise is great, the views are great. And best of all, because of the years it took to get there, it has a real sense of being special and an emotional attachment that I just can't imagine other new stadiums have. I'm not ashamed to say I am in love like never before.

Bloody hell, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would have made the north and south stands bigger, I'd also paint all the concrete white or maybe even blue and white so it doesn't look so bare.....perhaps the club could do that anyway?
That

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As others say, it's a football ground ffs. As for the club running the catering, how many other clubs do that. These burger vans that will be outside, what are they going to do when the club haven't got a home game, ie 342 days of the year!!!!!

The only change I would have made was to ensure he design allowed for far bigger increase in capacity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As others say, it's a football ground ffs. As for the club running the catering, how many other clubs do that. These burger vans that will be outside, what are they going to do when the club haven't got a home game, ie 342 days of the year!!!!!

The only change I would have made was to ensure he design allowed for far bigger increase in capacity.

They would keep the burger vans, I would suggest 2 closed but would take mega money when they were open. They would cost nothing to have closed when the stadium is not being used after the initial purchase. Because other clubs dont do it does that mean that we couldnt be a pioneer of this. There is facility for an increased capacity as the new planning application shows.

Mattstrugnell

PC Beard's Stare
Jan 2, 2011
I watched our club on the brink of going out of existence. I used to drive around with Archer Out posters all over my car because I didn't want the Goldstone to be sold. Frankly I am ecstatic we have a modern stadium we can call home. I still can't quite believe it's true. Now we have it, i really couldnt give a flying f*** about paint jobs and ceiling tiles. Just look at the pitch for crying out loud! Our team, now playing pretty f***ing good football on a superb pitch in our own stadium. 15 years ago I would never thought the Amex possible. Ceiling tiles? How about some nice carpet as well?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They would keep the burger vans, I would suggest 2 closed but would take mega money when they were open. They would cost nothing to have closed when the stadium is not being used after the initial purchase. Because other clubs dont do it does that mean that we couldnt be a pioneer of this. There is facility for an increased capacity as the new planning application shows.

But 'the mega money' they take will just be transferred from what most people spend in the ground. Yes there are gripes about the catering but I seem to remember at Withdean there were plenty of queues at the southstand outlets.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
The only faults for as North Stand sth.......Slow service at catering points.....maybe not something to do with stadium itself!!!!!....just inept staff running then!!!!!.....but the total lack of thinking into the toilet issue I honestly think could have been avoided. Total farce at moment to use the toilets at half time!!!!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
People moan about the trains but seriously, ask yourself what other stadiums have a station within about 200 yards of the pitch. Barely any. If you have to wait 20 minutes to catch a train, so what? You'd be walking for 40 just to reach the station in lots of towns.

That is a very good point. The first train you'll get on from Southampton Central after a game is at about 5.30. You won't find much of a queue at Falmer at that time.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Mine sounded like a bit of a moan but it honestly was not. the stadium is fantastic, but as the thread says what would you like to see done to make it even better in the future. The Emirates was fantastic at the start but the gradual improvements over the years has improved it still better.

Mattstrugnell

PC Beard's Stare
Jan 2, 2011
The only faults for as North Stand sth.......Slow service at catering points.....maybe not something to do with stadium itself!!!!!....just inept staff running then!!!!!.....but the total lack of thinking into the toilet issue I honestly think could have been avoided. Total farce at moment to use the toilets at half time!!!!

Yes it is ridiculous to have to queue for a piss at a football match

Mattstrugnell

PC Beard's Stare
Jan 2, 2011
Mine sounded like a bit of a moan but it honestly was not. the stadium is fantastic, but as the thread says what would you like to see done to make it even better in the future. The Emirates was fantastic at the start but the gradual improvements over the years has improved it still better.

As a Brighton fan I wouldn't know what the Emirates experience is like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd switch the south and north stands so away fans are in the north. Having aways in the north would make sense as post-match they would not have to walk against Albion fans heading towards the PnR. The disabled facilities are more varied and better in the south, be nice for Albion supporters to have access to these. Also, new boxes are to be installed above the south and I'm guessing Albion supporters might prefer to be perched above their own instead of a load of opposing fans.

This could still be done though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here