Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] what to do about the home atmosphere?

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
The Amex home crowd has been poor this season, reaching its nadir with that minority of boo boys against Leeds. Things have changed since then: in the last three home games, there's been a noticeable upturn in atmosphere no doubt aided by a couple of wins, but also:
-- Brentford, there was a tiny home crowd, c15k present. The ones that wanted to make some noise turned up to that one.
-- Palace, because it's Palace
-- Chelsea: arrogant scum fans generated a response. Any group of fans that chants 'you've only come to see the Chelsea' warrant a response, and thankfully they got one.

The challenge is for us to maintain the atmosphere at these levels and, especially, when things aren't going well for us. Our away support does it.
It was also noticeable last night that quieter parts of the home crowd joined in, where I sit in the south end of WSU is regularly libraryesque, but it certainly hasn't been of late.

Spot on summary. Yes it needs to be kept up to that standard whatever the quality on the pitch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who knew playing considerably better football, would be the answer?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The last 2 games the atmosphere has been brilliant.

Was cracking out from all sides at times last night.

The family stand has been louder and rowdier in these two evening games.

That's fine by me - especially now my kids are a bit older.

But some fans in that section are definitely pushing their luck with swearing, standing, vaping and sneaking in beers.

Folk need to be reasonably sensible. Would be a shame if there's a heavy clampdown.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The last 2 games the atmosphere has been brilliant.

Was cracking out from all sides at times last night.

Yes it is clearly visible from the north that the south stand, the west stand in the south corner and the east stand south corner have enjoyed giving as much back to the away sections. Great to see

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

But some fans in that section are definitely pushing their luck with swearing, standing, vaping and sneaking in beers.

Folk need to be reasonably sensible. Would be a shame if there's a heavy clampdown.
When, for the second time, Tariq in our half stumbled intercepting a pass which would have given him a clear 50 yard run on goal.
I did let out a cry that wasn't, but close to, "pooh".

Promptly apologised and hung my head in shame.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The Amex home crowd has been poor this season, reaching its nadir with that minority of boo boys against Leeds. Things have changed since then: in the last three home games, there's been a noticeable upturn in atmosphere no doubt aided by a couple of wins, but also:
-- Brentford, there was a tiny home crowd, c15k present. The ones that wanted to make some noise turned up to that one.
-- Palace, because it's Palace
-- Chelsea: arrogant scum fans generated a response. Any group of fans that chants 'you've only come to see the Chelsea' warrant a response, and thankfully they got one.

The challenge is for us to maintain the atmosphere at these levels and, especially, when things aren't going well for us. Our away support does it.
It was also noticeable last night that quieter parts of the home crowd joined in, where I sit in the south end of WSU is regularly libraryesque, but it certainly hasn't been of late.

I think evening games also provide the opportunity for a higher percentage of fans to have had a few drinks before hand.
Less inhibited singing ensues..

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Who knew playing considerably better football, would be the answer?

Should not be relevant whatsoever. You take a fanbase like Leeds, even heading for a heavy defeat their fans are noisy and back the team, we just don’t gave that calibre of fan. Appreciate last night was a school night, but to see the East empty out with ten minutes to go when the game could have gone either way was pretty embarrassing and you do wonder what GP and the players must think of it, especially the players having given their all. That said, you can tell GP really appreciates those fans who do stay to the end by his walk round.

(More positive views are available)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
but to see the East empty out with ten minutes to go when the game could have gone either way was pretty embarrassing and you do wonder what GP and the players must think of it, especially the players having given their all.

And those of us in the East stand get to see the same happening in the West and North.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

That's fine by me -

It's the advertising that get them. JR beer.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Been great fun seeing the young'uns around us stood on their chairs shouting w*nker, w*nker for the last couple of matches.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should not be relevant whatsoever. You take a fanbase like Leeds, even heading for a heavy defeat their fans are noisy and back the team, we just don’t gave that calibre of fan. Appreciate last night was a school night, but to see the East empty out with ten minutes to go when the game could have gone either way was pretty embarrassing and you do wonder what GP and the players must think of it, especially the players having given their all. That said, you can tell GP really appreciates those fans who do stay to the end by his walk round.

But it is relevant it's the only thing that is relevant.

We are not Leeds fans - As hot takes go that one shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.

We are, always have been, always will be a passive reactive crowd.

If you have fond memories of raucous Goldstone crowds, your rosy specs are remembering nights like last night.
Why wouldn't you?

What you're not doing is remembering the games then that were equivalent of Leeds and Newcastle now.
Again, why would you?

If all we're getting is Sanchez to Dunk, to Sanchez, to Duffy, to Dunk, we aren't going to give much back.

GPott was clearly stung by the criticism by half a dozen fans after Leeds (?), because what we've had since has been the flip side of two and a half years of flattering to deceive, dogged by two relegation battles.

He should be thanking them, not getting titsy with them.

Last edited:

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
......but to see the East empty out with ten minutes to go when the game could have gone either way...

Wasn't just the East but anyway, I am utterly baffled / cannot compute leaving any game early but as above - anything could have happened in this game right ip to the last seconds of added time. Clearly there is a slight bit of a track record of scoring in added time on top of that and clapping the players/potter off after such a performance should be mandatory. If getting away to beat the crowds is of such importance - stay on the sofa.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think evening games also provide the opportunity for a higher percentage of fans to have had a few drinks before hand.
Less inhibited singing ensues..

Good point, although I'd add that just about every previous home game has been a 5.30 Sat kick off, which has provided ample opportunity for inhibition-busting.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Wasn't just the East but anyway, I am utterly baffled / cannot compute leaving any game early but as above - anything could have happened in this game right ip to the last seconds of added time. Clearly there is a slight bit of a track record of scoring in added time on top of that and clapping the players/potter off after such a performance should be mandatory. If getting away to beat the crowds is of such importance - stay on the sofa.

But surely you have noticed that we have an out of town stadium? People with young kids or the elderly try and get away before the crowd to avoid public transport and car-park carnage. This is exacerbated when you play clubs with a higher percentage of morons like Chelsea for example.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Good point, although I'd add that just about every previous home game has been a 5.30 Sat kick off, which has provided ample opportunity for inhibition-busting.

I think that just gives the usual suspects an opportunity to drink more.

The Friday 8pm kick off is perfect for those who might not usually have a drink to have a couple.
Then a follow up 8pm a couple of days after might repeat the approach.

Just a theory, but there was definitely more people singing around the ground last night.
Hope it continues.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

Out of town stadium with poor public transport provision...what do you expect?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here