Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] what to do about the home atmosphere?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Wasn't that at Millwall when Wendy was the manager ??? I went to that game and didn’t have a feckin clue what the papers were on about.

Ha, not sure, I thought it was a home game, but could be wrong.
Anyway when did we actually have clue what the papers were on about back then, Christ they were bad, I haven’t bought a paper since about 1997

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ok, did EVERY home fan really join in with the Seagulls chant?

Yes, there were occasions when things were going well when The Goldstone reverberated, but it could also be as much of a library as The Emirates is now.

I said it “SEEMED LIKE “ …….hope this helps :rolleyes:

The North did the singing at the Goldstone and there was a time in the 70s when the South also had a singing section, when there were terraces and before it was all seated
What I meant was the other stands would join in with Seagulls- Seagulls when we got a corner.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

The North did the singing at the Goldstone and there was a time in the 70s when the South also had a singing section, when there were terraces and before it was all seated
What I meant was the other stands would join in with Seagulls- Seagulls when we got a corner.
Maybe it’s because what I grew up with always preferred GOSBTS going up to win the cup more football related and easy to remember when you’ve had a few.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Sorry, I'm just getting a bit touchy about all this and I don't really know why. The world has moved on, yet people just seem to want to hark back to a "better" time.

A time of aggro and flare ups with rivals, a time of bogs that you wouldn't visit without your scarf tied round your mouth, a time of rancid food and lukewarm tea, a time of queuing for hours, getting to the ground before the gates opened, getting the best spot on the terrace, only for a 6ft neanderthal to push their way in front of you 2 minutes before kick off - I'm not sure why, but I just don't seem to feel quite so attached to those days as some!

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry, I'm just getting a bit touchy about all this and I don't really no why. The world has moved on, yet people just seem to want to hark back to a "better" time.

A time of aggro and flare ups with rivals, a time of bogs that you wouldn't visit without your scarf tied round your mouth, a time of rancid food and lukewarm tea, a time of queuing for hours, getting to the ground before the gates opened, getting the best spot on the terrace, only for a 6ft neanderthal to push their way in front of you 2 minutes before kick off - I'm not sure why, but I just don't seem to feel quite so attached to those days as some!

Or a time being taken to my first football match by my late father, and then regularly going to games with him when he wasn’t working hard, something me and him did together and I will never forget those days.

Going to games with friends when I was old enough, simple times, happy times and great memories.
Meeting other fans as an adult, some I still see today at the Amex.

Remember the positive things, not the dodgy food kiosk, I don’t actually remember buying or being bought any food at the Goldstone TBH.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Maybe it’s because what I grew up with always preferred GOSBTS going up to win the cup.

Oh jebus, that’s a pet hate, hate of mine….

“Going up to win the cup”

During a league game, made my piss boil…
I just don’t get it, ITS A BLOODY LEAGUE GAME, JUST HOW ARE WE GOING UP TO WIN THE CUP…..
Especially when we usually went out in either the first or third round back then anyway.
Just a stupid version.

Sorry, rant over :lolol:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

I just don’t get it, ITS A BLOODY LEAGUE GAME, JUST HOW ARE WE GOING UP TO WIN THE CUP…..
Especially when we usually went out in either the first or third round back then anyway.
Just a stupid version.

I remember "singing going up and we'll win the cup" which made sense while we were still in the cup for that year.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Just a stupid version.

:lolol:
I’ve never thought of it like that, I have muttered to myself before “ we’re going up to win f*** all “

My football song pet hate is a song we no longer hear…….you’re going home in a f****** ambulance, surely it should be…..you’re going to hospital in a f****** ambulance :D

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Just a stupid version.

THIS

ABSOLUTELY THIS ON EVERY LEVEL

Sorry. Got carried away.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Why did we start singing Albion- Albion ( copied from Liverpool I guess ) and stop singing the upbeat Albion, Albion, Albion ( here we go tune ) ? ???

Probably because whatever song is sung someone says it's tinpot. Oh and there are two songs being sung at the same time from the 'lead' stand

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Or a time being taken to my first football match by my late father, and then regularly going to games with him when he wasn’t working hard, something me and him did together and I will never forget those days.

Going to games with friends when I was old enough, simple times, happy times and great memories.

Remember the positive things, not the dodgy food kiosk, I don’t actually remember buying or being bought any food at the Goldstone TBH.

I had a conversation with my wife today about my early days watching football - I’m not sure she was listening, but I’m used to that - I was telling her how, during that 1971-72 season I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to jump on the train at Burgess Hill, with a few school friends, or even on my own on occasions. At this time I was 11 years of age, this was before the days of mobile phones, or for that matter a home phone.

I was just allowed, as were so many others, to go off to the game, not getting home until 11pm or so on evening games (school nights), yet no one blinked an eyelid...

What am trying to say, different times all round I guess - would I allow my 11 year old to do that, no chance, would I do it again - in a heart beat.

Do I think small sections of standing at grounds will help “the atmosphere” - no, not really!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had a conversation with my wife today about my early days watching football - I’m not sure she was listening, but I’m used to that - I was telling her how, during that 1971-72 season I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to jump on the train at Burgess Hill, with a few school friends, or even on my own on occasions. At this time I was 11 years of age, this was before the days of mobile phones, or for that matter a home phone.

I was just allowed, as were so many others, to go off to the game, not getting home until 11pm or so on evening games (school nights), yet no one blinked an eyelid...

What am trying to say, different times all round I guess - would I allow my 11 year old to do that, no chance, would I do it again - in a heart beat.

Do I think small sections of standing at grounds will help “the atmosphere” - no, not really!

I went to games with my friends aged 12, my dad worked shifts so when I was old enough and wanted to go to games I went with friends, my mum was happy for me to go and enjoy myself, think she wanted some peace :D

I’m sure some football grounds don’t let kids in without an adult, don’t know about the Amex. My sons have season tickets with me, they have been to cup games without me but not until they were at least 16.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Apart from Dunk and Bissouma we have no songs for our players which are catchy or simple enough for the masses to join with, that is pathetic.
What happened to songs like we had for El-abd, Ulloa, Lua Lua, Huenimier (sp), Zamora, Knocky, Murray (awful but everyone sung it) even Ryan had a (shit) song which got people going.
I know I’m moaning but I’m shit at thinking up songs but others clearly aren’t, have they all left?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Actions speak louder than words.

Maybe we should try dancing during the match rather than singing?

IndelibleImpressiveGerenuk-max-1mb.gif

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Something about that click of the turnstile after paying your £1.50 :)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Ha, not sure, I thought it was a home game, but could be wrong.
Anyway when did we actually have clue what the papers were on about back then, Christ they were bad, I haven’t bought a paper since about 1997

No it was definitely away to Millwall and News of the World reporter got it so wrong they had to apologise to both clubs. His story read that he witnessed Millwall fans shouting ' Sieg Heil ' when in fact he was in their home end watching our fans shouting ' Seagulls '.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Anfield? Yes, all the tourists get emotional with the rendition of YNWA but that's it. Most of the game they were as flat as the Emirates, only getting going again for the last 5 minutes.

I'd disagree, The Emirates & Old Trafford were very touristy, I haven't got that at Anfield. I just feel we really lack atmosphere and any cohesion in terms of addressing it, we have pockets of fans singing their own renditions and we just don't generate the noise or build an atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here