Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] what to do about the home atmosphere?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The atmosphere at St James' Park is like watching a pathe news real of a match - total silence occasionally interspersed with a burst of clapping when one of their players does something well (i.e. about 5 times a game).

Maybe lately but I've witnessed some great atmosphere at St James's, all be that possibly twenty years ago, come to think of it!!!!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Although I can never shed the sheer joy and equal measure of embarrassment when someone started "Give us a B", "Beeeee", "R" "Rrrrrrr" and at some point cocked up the spelling of BRIGHTON .... rarely happened but always a funny moment!

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Whilst we're at it, can I suggest we slow down the 'Dunk is one of our own' song a bit. The 'blocking shots and scoring goals' bit is very hard to deliver well at the current break neck speed.
Then many fans dont bother as it descends into unrecognisable out of time carnage. If we slow it a bit, people will easily be able to keep time and then more will join in and it will therefore be louder

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Whilst we're at it, can I suggest we slow down the 'Dunk is one of our own' song a bit. The 'blocking shots and scoring goals' bit is very hard to deliver well at the current break neck speed.
Then many fans dont bother as it descends into unrecognisable out of time carnage. If we slow it a bit, people will easily be able to keep time and then more will join in and it will therefore be louder

Perhaps, we could have words on the giant screens like GOSBTS @ kick off....

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
:lolol:
I’ve never thought of it like that, I have muttered to myself before “ we’re going up to win f*** all “

My football song pet hate is a song we no longer hear…….you’re going home in a f****** ambulance, surely it should be…..you’re going to hospital in a f****** ambulance :D

I thought it was GP’s only doing non face to face, can’t rule it out!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I had a conversation with my wife today about my early days watching football - I’m not sure she was listening, but I’m used to that - I was telling her how, during that 1971-72 season I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to jump on the train at Burgess Hill, with a few school friends, or even on my own on occasions. At this time I was 11 years of age, this was before the days of mobile phones, or for that matter a home phone.

I was just allowed, as were so many others, to go off to the game, not getting home until 11pm or so on evening games (school nights), yet no one blinked an eyelid...

What am trying to say, different times all round I guess - would I allow my 11 year old to do that, no chance, would I do it again - in a heart beat.

Do I think small sections of standing at grounds will help “the atmosphere” - no, not really!

Was having a similar conversation (not with your wife) the other day how a group of us aged 12/13 would go on a coach to Gillingham with no direct adult supervision (other than occasionally to keep it down on the coach) for the day.

Scary to think it was a different time back then when Im only late 30’s

These days there’s no chance I’d let my kids do the Same!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Was having a similar conversation (not with your wife) the other day how a group of us aged 12/13 would go on a coach to Gillingham with no direct adult supervision (other than occasionally to keep it down on the coach) for the day.

Scary to think it was a different time back then when Im only late 30’s These days there’s no chance I’d let my kids do the Same!

I should hope not. Gillingham are terrible.

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
Home and away

1st Dec. West Ham
I'll be off to the London Stadium or whatever it's called. By the time I arrive, little doubt I will have started off my booze fuelled evening with the approximately 12-14 units :cheers: I need to turn from mild mannered grey dad to uninhibited loud presence and will contribute whole heartedly to the atmosphere in the away end. I'm a big unit so might even look like a reasonably menacing (even though I am far from it) and useful addition to the travelling support.

12th Dec. Spurs
I'll be off to the Amex East Upper with my three eldest boys (9, 7 and 4). We'll sit down about half an hour before kick-off. I'll spend a lot of time dishing out their sweets, crisps, water bottles, asking if they need a wee, taking all of them to the toilet at once, replying to whattsapp messages from my wife sending me pictures of the other one at home and making sure I don't lose one of their coats like I did last time. We'll be contributing to the atmos by mumbling a bit of GOSBTS, mumbling Albion, Albion...when it drones around the ground and lots of enthusiastic clapping when we are not passing the ball backwards and maybe even the odd "come-on" for special exciting moments, like when Cucurella caressed the ball down from the sky at significant pace and passed immediately/crisply (to Trossard I think) in the Newcastle game. We will leave after we have applauded the team off of the pitch, (and I'll feel a bit down about the amount of people that left their seats empty 10 mins earlier).

I'm sure there are others like me and it may be a reason why home games have atmosphere issues some times - but in my view it should not draw criticism to supporters in this demographic.

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Knew I had this photo of my lads and there cousin somewhere on my phone.
My lads are now 31 and 32 !!
47ff7b7ea680fa93e3c39fce87097c04.jpg

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
1st Dec. West Ham
I'll be off to the London Stadium or whatever it's called. By the time I arrive, little doubt I will have started off my booze fuelled evening with the approximately 12-14 units :cheers: I need to turn from mild mannered grey dad to uninhibited loud presence and will contribute whole heartedly to the atmosphere in the away end. I'm a big unit so might even look like a reasonably menacing (even though I am far from it) and useful addition to the travelling support.

12th Dec. Spurs
I'll be off to the Amex East Upper with my three eldest boys (9, 7 and 4). We'll sit down about half an hour before kick-off. I'll spend a lot of time dishing out their sweets, crisps, water bottles, asking if they need a wee, taking all of them to the toilet at once, replying to whattsapp messages from my wife sending me pictures of the other one at home and making sure I don't lose one of their coats like I did last time. We'll be contributing to the atmos by mumbling a bit of GOSBTS, mumbling Albion, Albion...when it drones around the ground and lots of enthusiastic clapping when we are not passing the ball backwards and maybe even the odd "come-on" for special exciting moments, like when Cucurella caressed the ball down from the sky at significant pace and passed immediately/crisply (to Trossard I think) in the Newcastle game. We will leave after we have applauded the team off of the pitch, (and I'll feel a bit down about the amount of people that left their seats empty 10 mins earlier).

I'm sure there are others like me and it may be a reason why home games have atmosphere issues some times - but in my view it should not draw criticism to supporters in this demographic.

Ha! Very good; the Jeckyll and Hyde life of a football supporter. The other reason is that like-minded people who want to sing are scattered all over the place. When i occasionally go in the NS I'm bemused by the large number of old timers slap bang in the middle of the stand who just about manage an occasional clap.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
1st Dec. West Ham

12th Dec. Spurs

:clap2:

Excellent post and so much to relate to, not least "replying to whattsapp messages from my wife sending me pictures of the other one at home and making sure I don't lose one of their coats like I did last time."

Genuine laugh out loud and glad it's not just me. Hope you add plenty more to your 5 posts to date.

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
Thought the atmosphere was very good last night. Was in E1G near the away tw*ts and they were loud but the north stand were heard very well and large sections of the rest of the ground joined in quite a lot as well. "Champions of Europe, you're having a laugh" the highlight. It sounded like the whole home crowd joined that one.

Our home crowd was certainly significantly better than the west ham library last time I went to an away game.

Outstanding performance though so if the crowd were not lit up by that there would be a genuine problem. I don't think there is a problem despite some of the challenges discussed earlier in this thread.

Proud of the team and the support.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thought the atmosphere was very good last night. Was in E1G near the away tw*ts and they were loud but the north stand were heard very well and large sections of the rest of the ground joined in quite a lot as well. "Champions of Europe, you're having a laugh" the highlight. It sounded like the whole home crowd joined that one.

Our home crowd was certainly significantly better than the west ham library last time I went to an away game.

Outstanding performance though so if the crowd were not lit up by that there would be a genuine problem. I don't think there is a problem despite some of the challenges discussed earlier in this thread.

Proud of the team and the support.

The Amex home crowd has been poor this season, reaching its nadir with that minority of boo boys against Leeds. Things have changed since then: in the last three home games, there's been a noticeable upturn in atmosphere no doubt aided by a couple of wins, but also:
-- Brentford, there was a tiny home crowd, c15k present. The ones that wanted to make some noise turned up to that one.
-- Palace, because it's Palace
-- Chelsea: arrogant scum fans generated a response. Any group of fans that chants 'you've only come to see the Chelsea' warrant a response, and thankfully they got one.

The challenge is for us to maintain the atmosphere at these levels and, especially, when things aren't going well for us. Our away support does it.
It was also noticeable last night that quieter parts of the home crowd joined in, where I sit in the south end of WSU is regularly libraryesque, but it certainly hasn't been of late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here