Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What should the club do about yesterday's game?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We haven't forgotten the Spurs / Saints stitch-up of 1978 yet. This one won't be forgotten for many years.
Oh FFS you've got me ticking again, Pervy Hamster will be on here in a minute

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bit pointless, we’ll have played 2 ‘away’ games until our next home one and everyone will have forgotten
3 “away” games Chelsea, the semi and then Forest before we play at home again.

There isn’t much can be done to change the result or get us points back but the club need to keep this in the public eye and put pressure on the PGMOL to sort things out. Push for more transparency after games over these decisions, make sure refs actually know what they are doing. VAR was meant to help remove controversy but we’ve had more controversial incidents with it than without.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
All I can hope for is that if the club makes enough fuss so that any VAR decision for the rest of the season is properly scrutinised. IMO there was one correct VAR intervention, the mitoma goal, only because the Lino flagged, and it was not clear and obvious error. But the 3 pen shouts and 2nd goal were all incorrect VAR ’interventions’ or lack of. Any VAR decision against Brighton will now be under the spotlight. It may even lead to some unconscious bias in our favour.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting interview with Joel Veltman live from the Amex on talksport. Played it with a straight bat really and just said need to focus on our performances as they’ve been that good we can beat anyone etc

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting interview with Joel Veltman live from the Amex on talksport. Played it with a straight bat really and just said need to focus on our performances as they’ve been that good we can beat anyone etc
….then PB saying much the same. Also reiterated that we shouldn’t be ‘attacking’ match officials whilst at the same time recognising they make mistakes and need to improve. Wasn’t prepared to discuss the details of the apology but did say Webb had been very forthcoming and open (or similar). Calm and assured as ever.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So at what point does the quality of refereeing deem a game null and void ?

If yesterday didn't cross the line it's staring right at it, which is why the media (who have little interest in Brighton) have covered the story to the extent which they have.

All I can hope for is that if the club makes enough fuss so that any VAR decision for the rest of the season is properly scrutinised. IMO there was one correct VAR intervention, the mitoma goal, only because the Lino flagged, and it was not clear and obvious error. But the 3 pen shouts and 2nd goal were all incorrect VAR ’interventions’ or lack of. Any VAR decision against Brighton will now be under the spotlight. It may even lead to some unconscious bias in our favour.
I thought that if the ball strikes above the t-shirt line then its NOT handball. But then the linesman was patting his upper arm on the t-shirt line to indicate handball. Shouldn't VAR have gone "err...hang on..." ?

They announce a new law in an attempt to clarify the handball rule - and then they go and ignore it. Frankly I don't really know what I'm watching any more, they just seem to make it up as they go along.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought that if the ball strikes above the t-shirt line then its NOT handball. But then the linesman was patting his upper arm on the t-shirt line to indicate handball. Shouldn't VAR have gone "err...hang on..." ?

They announce a new law in an attempt to clarify the handball rule - and then they go and ignore it. Frankly I don't really know what I'm watching any more, they just seem to make it up as they go along.
That was changed for this season - it’s the armpit, not the bottom of the t-shirt.

1CF56487-AA7F-4DE2-93AA-5138347B84EC.png

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
But we don't want any bias in our favour do we? All we want to see is a fair game of football, fairly officiated.
Not much to ask for.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Do like they do in F1 if something is found after to be wrong and that's to retrospectively adjust the points.

Also, the VAR officials should be retrained under whoever did VAR in the WC as that was pretty smooth as far as I can recall.
"Retrospective action"? That's what the FA promised to take against players who were found to have conned referees during the game.

A bit like, say, a big burly centre forward and England captain who gets a hand waved in his face and goes down like someone has split his head open with a machete. A prime example of where a ref was conned and the FA did SFA. The cheating dumbo shouldn't even have been playing on Saturday. He should still have been serving a ban.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
….then PB saying much the same. Also reiterated that we shouldn’t be ‘attacking’ match officials whilst at the same time recognising they make mistakes and need to improve. Wasn’t prepared to discuss the details of the apology but did say Webb had been very forthcoming and open (or similar). Calm and assured as ever.
Not convinced that the "roll over and get your belly tickled" approach is going to help us, or help fairness and honesty.

Fans are paying good money (and, increasingly, big money) to support the club and the team. What's the point? If you aren't going to get an "honest game" is there one?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In that case we can reduce the “errors” to four.

Confess I accepted the goal being ruled out at the time, it was only the outrage on here that made me think I was wrong and once again didn’t have a clue about the laws.
Arguably still 5 - handball in front of Veltman in their box.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I wish I could be even half as professional as the people running our club. They constantly set examples which I know I should follow in my personal and professional life. Sometimes I manage to remind myself in time, but it's really tough.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Without VAR, yesterday Mitoma's goal would have been chalked off as the lino thinks a shoulder is a hand.
The second goal would have stood.
Both penalty shouts would have been waved away.

2-2

With an honest/competent referee and linesman and VAR official:
Mitoma's goal would have stood because the f***ing shoulder is not capable of doing a handball
The second goal would have stood because it wasn't a f***ing handball. Not at all. VAR man was guessing.
Both penalty shouts would have been reviewed and the kick, and possibly the shirt pull, would have been given
And Ali Mac may have been given two yellows and off for stamping on feet. Except VAR doesn't check those.

4-2 or 5-2 to the Albion
Not missed chances but useless refereeing. Not using VAR properly.

Clubs know VAR is useful, just as speed cameras are useful. You would only vote it away if you thought it would give you, your club, an advantage over others. To me, binning VAR (instead of fixing the rubric) would be a cheats charter and would give a big boost to the referees' big club (unconscious) bias. Manchester United went 10 years without conceding a penalty at home when Fergy was manager. Statistically, that's absolutely shitehouse.
Valid points, from the top of my head we go 3-4 with Arsenal who knows. We beat Palace away, a point against Spurs at the weekend. For every pro argument for VAR there is also one against. For me it’s getting worse refs are getting paranoid knowing another set of eyes are watching them every game. I can’t stand someone watching over my shoulder at work It’s one of the worst things.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We haven't forgotten the Spurs / Saints stitch-up of 1978 yet. This one won't be forgotten for many years.
It depends what happens come the end of the season. That match isn't forgotten because it cost us promotion. This equally won't be forgotten for years if it costs us Europe or a CL spot (who knows, we may never have the opportunity again). This is quite likely as it was in effect a six-pointer.

However, if we win the FA Cup, or finish 5th/6th but well adrift of 4th, then we can all blissfully forget about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Valid points, from the top of my head we go 3-4 with Arsenal who knows. We beat Palace away, a point against Spurs at the weekend. For every pro argument for VAR there is also one against. For me it’s getting worse refs are getting paranoid knowing another set of eyes are watching them every game. I can’t stand someone watching over my shoulder at work It’s one of the worst things.
Perhaps. I hate people staring over my shoulder when I'm working. But when I'm setting up 8 experimental preparations for students I've got no option.

Professionals who work in the public domain have to learn how to work under scrutiny and pressure.

But the eye of TV has been on referees and lino s for years, so....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Perhaps. I hate people staring over my shoulder when I'm working. But when I'm setting up 8 experimental preparations for students I've got no option.

Professionals who work in the public domain have to learn how to work under scrutiny and pressure.

But the eye of TV has been on referees and lino s for years, so....
If two of them can’t get it right then I would rather have one who cocks up now and again tbh. I did like the AI generated offside in the World Cup and it went without a hitch we certainly would of won at Palace tbf with the software rather then some bungle trying to draw a line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here