Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What should the club do about yesterday's game?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The standard of refereeing in a Premier League game has never been discussed so much by the media.

.. and this is "little Brighton".

Unprecedented situation, two highly debatable disallowed goals and three very very clear penalty shouts all dismissed in a single game.

Something has to happen, because cumulatively the officials won the game for Spurs and that's a very very bad look for the Premier League.

I remembered that Arsenal Sheffield FA game that was replayed and that was over an unwritten rule about giving the ball back. Yesterday was far far worse.

The game should be struck off and replayed. It was that bad.
Nothing will happen to revise the result. The precedent established would be far too dangerous for the Premier League to countenance.

However, your very first sentence is encouraging if only because it's protected us from being tarnished as "whingers". It's widely acknowledged that we've been well and truly done over. That doesn’t help our league position one jot but it cannot hurt longer term to be winning in the court of public opinion.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The precedent established would be far too dangerous for the Premier League to countenance.

They are already is a dangerous situation with the precedent that yesterday set. There has to be a line and I think it's been crossed.

But I think they know that and next week will be interesting.

Decisions going against you are part and parcel of the game, but It's unfathomable that so many mistakes were made yesterday with technology in a single game.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
At the very least the Welbeck goal should be described in detail - because that wasn't a non-decision, but an active overturning. They must have been 100% sure that it hit MacAllister's arm - so talk us through the videos and show us where this is definite.
Has anyone seen a video angle where it is clear it hit his arm? It doesn't seem to exist.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The standard of refereeing in a Premier League game has never been discussed so much by the media.

.. and this is "little Brighton".

Unprecedented situation, two highly debatable disallowed goals and three very very clear penalty shouts all dismissed in a single game in presumably the best league in the world.

Something has to happen, because cumulatively the decisions by the officials won the game for Spurs. There isn't another example quite like yesterday.

I remembered that Arsenal Sheffield FA game that was replayed and that was over an unwritten rule about giving the ball back. Wenger from memory initiated it.

Yesterday was far far worse. Worse case scenario 5 goals struck off.

The game should be deemed void and replayed. It was that bad.
There's only one extremely slight chance of this happening and that is if Spurs agreed to it, which of course they won't.

However, there is nothing preventing the club from publically asking Spurs if they would agree in principle, in the spirit of fair play, that the game should be replayed.

Spurs would say no way, but at least it would keep it in the media and put more pressure on the EPL.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Do like they do in F1 if something is found after to be wrong and that's to retrospectively adjust the points.

Also, the VAR officials should be retrained under whoever did VAR in the WC as that was pretty smooth as far as I can recall.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It didn't happen after the Palace debacle.
That was one decision.
This is an already apologised for non-penalty, another non penalty where there was an obvious offence (Dunk shirt pull), another penalty call which I haven’t seen, and two hotly disputed disallowed goals.
And a manager (both managers, to be fair) Red carded for dubious reasons.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Everything in this article is the way I (and I suspect most other real supporters of football clubs), feel.
My opinion at the time of introduction has not changed.
There used to be very very few glaring howlers from refs and linos.
And now there are many, many more after the introduction of a system which was supposed to have cut them out.
It’s introduction has made the whole football experience worse for the paying customer.
You really couldn’t make it up.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Having had a few days to simmer down and think about this I. A pragmatic sense, this really is a difficult question to answer. I agree replaying the game isn’t workable and arguably fair to Spurs. Yes, they may have lost the game had results gone our way, but it was the officials at fault and not spurs. If the boot was on the other foot, would we really be happy to replay the game and risk losing 3 points ourselves. Of course not.
‘Maybe post awarding of point(s) but again, the precedent this sets is unfathomable.

The biggest issue I suspect we all have as fans is that this is the third time in one season this has happened (So far).

The very best we can hope for is a better standard of officiating both in and off the field. VAR isn’t going anywhere (and I don’t actually mind the concept) but the application is in dire need of correcting. The PGMOL must take action as there have been many calls (not just from the Albion) all season which have been incorrect. The standard simply must improve.

Look at the positives, despite being wrongfully robbed of 7 points, we are still pushing for Europe in a season which could have seen us struggle and collapse following the loss off Bissouma, Cucurella and Potter et al. Instead, we dug in, got on with it and are defying all expectations. Small club Brighton, one of the best run clubs in The country, pushing for European football. Outstanding!

Imagine if we can still finish in our best position yet despite all of this. That would be the biggest middle finger.

ollysussex

Apr 9, 2023
Do like they do in F1 if something is found after to be wrong and that's to retrospectively adjust the points.

Also, the VAR officials should be retrained under whoever did VAR in the WC as that was pretty smooth as far as I can recall.
I fear that on Saturday's game, much of the VAR was being done in the WC!!!......apologies, get your point and it is a good one.

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
I had a thought last night - given that the League can deduct points, surely as a previous poster suggested, we can be awarded points. I would suggest, in this case, Tottenham get docked one point, which is given to us. ie TH 2 pts BHA 1 pt.
In the Palace game, we would be given an extra point - ie CP 1 pt. BHA 2 pts.
Since there are three points available in any given game, it's a zero sum, so no third party loses out.

Either that, or sue in court, and win the Europa League money without having the bother to play in the Europa League.

Orrrr - wait for "karmic" retribution in the FA Cup, which doesn't really matter as much to Man U or Man C.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm unable to shake the sheer injustice of it. Once, twice, three times, four....five!?!!? How do you get 5 errors in one game? How does that happen without...??

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Cheers Official Old Man...this would hugely embarrass the Premier league and yes we would get fined but it would send a very strong message that they need to get PGMOL to sort themselves out. Club should tell other 19 clubs of their intentions and hopefully some might follow suit which would inturn tells League enough is enough. VAR should be a product that is simple to implement if you have competent staff over seeing it. I feel for Howard Webb, he has been royally let down by his ex colleagues. Its time to get ex players, managers as well as competent officials to get VAR doing what The Premier League and football deserves.
Given the level of anger and general concern and In the name of transparency the EPL should publish a response (addressed to the club) to the 5 controversial points explaining how the conclusions were reached by VAR in each case. Depending on conclusions reached the VAR referees should be disciplined and retrained before acting again.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given the level of anger and general concern and In the name of transparency the EPL should publish a response (addressed to the club) to the 5 controversial points explaining how the conclusions were reached by VAR in each case. Depending on conclusions reached the VAR referees should be disciplined and retrained before acting again.
They very likely already have!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Next home game we should play a montage of all the wrong decisions play it when the ref is warming up and then just before kick off and play this loud

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bit pointless, we’ll have played 2 ‘away’ games until our next home one and everyone will have forgotten

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here