Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What one thing would you change at the Amex ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The club have managed to sneak a few club shop caravans discretely around the outside of the ground. The way they're positioned makes you think they're quietly contravening SOMETHING. Not that they ever seem to do a roaring trade, or even much trade at all. They'd do far more business if they were selling hot food IMHO.

I don't know why they can't offer a few franchises out on a trial basis. It would be easy money for the club. There are a few decent local independant mobile food retailers out there.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I still don't get why we don't have a few food and drink outlets around the outside the stadium, with a few benches dotted around. Just somewhere where people can rock up, arrange to meet and have a pie / hot dog and a beer or whatever BEFORE going into the stadium. OK there wouldn't be much call for this in the winter months, but in the summer I'd love to spend a bit longer outside the ground in the shirtsleeves, enjoying the weather and the pre-match atmos. Much better than sweating my ARSE off in the WSU concourse, by 'eck it gets hot up there in the Spring / Summer.

Paul Barber covered this when he did his local q&a - the club want to do this themselves but it relates to the health and safety cert for the stadium which covers all the outside areas as well. As we are a new stadium the council are over cautious with all there restrictions therefore we currently need to make more effort such as more stewards, nothing blocking walkways, no congestion points no risk of fan flash points outside, etc. He stated that each year the rules will be relaxed and as soon as possible they will start to exploit the areas outside the ground.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I believe it is part of the planning permission but...

Think that 'planning permission' shit should be challenged with the best legal representation the club can pay for from here on in. There should patently be huge numbers of independent vendors selling all manner of tasty foodstuffs around the vast empty spaces of the outside of the stadium (example: where's the mini-wagon selling pizza slices?) with the club taking a hefty percentage. Use yer bog standard music festival as a business model if you must. Seems to me that the club don't really want it badly enough. Even Withdean sold chips. Currently the main beneficiary of the club's failure to fill an obvious void seems to be that van outside Falmer station.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The club have managed to sneak a few club shop caravans discretely around the outside of the ground. The way they're positioned makes you think they're quietly contravening SOMETHING. Not that they ever seem to do a roaring trade, or even much trade at all. They'd do far more business if they were selling hot food IMHO.

selling club merchandise is a bit different to selling food, the club won't make 100% profit out of food.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Think that 'planning permission' shit should be challenged with the best legal representation the club can pay for from here on in. There should patently be huge numbers of independent vendors selling all manner of tasty foodstuffs around the vast empty spaces of the outside of the stadium (example: where's the mini-wagon selling pizza slices?) with the club taking a hefty percentage. Use yer bog standard music festival as a business model if you must. Seems to me that the club don't really want it badly enough. Even Withdean sold chips. Currently the main beneficiary of the club's failure to fill an obvious void seems to be that van outside Falmer station.

Bollox. They are leading the way, make all the profit themselves. Why have Johnny no mate selling dodgy scarfs outside?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
selling club merchandise is a bit different to selling food, the club won't make 100% profit out of food.

Mathematically impossible to make 100% profit if the items cost anything to buy or manufacturer. If an item cost 1p and sells at £1000 ex VAT stIll only 99.9999999999% GP. If it cost nothing and sold for 1p ex vat = 100%GP.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I believe it is part of the planning permission but...

Why would BHA put other vendors outside taking money away from the club?
Why would BHA put other kiosks, staff etc. outside when a few yards away you can get the same thing inside?

I didn't say it had to be independent traders. Could all be part of the same catering deal.
And yes, you can get it inside, but at least if you also had the food/drink outlets outside, it would go some way to allieviating the queues on the concourses.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Paul Barber covered this when he did his local q&a - the club want to do this themselves but it relates to the health and safety cert for the stadium which covers all the outside areas as well. As we are a new stadium the council are over cautious with all there restrictions therefore we currently need to make more effort such as more stewards, nothing blocking walkways, no congestion points no risk of fan flash points outside, etc. He stated that each year the rules will be relaxed and as soon as possible they will start to exploit the areas outside the ground.

Good to hear.
I might have known the old HEALTH and SAFTY brigade would be involved though. Christ on a stick, if you see the food retailers outside places like Vicaridge Road - where street vendors set up their burger vans on the path, next to the main road, leading to *gasp* LARGE QUEUES next to the road....wow, how we don't see 7 or 8 fans a week killed or seriously maimed every week there I just don't know.

Obviously a few drink and burger vans around the vicinity of the Amex would be a DEATH TRAP TIMEBOMB. Thank f*** we have these people looking out for us eh.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm actually really desperate for a larger north stand, it's good but is kinda low atm

Very much this. For a home end it is embarrassingly small. Of course it should have been designed to be bigger in the first place, but is there any way it can be improved, or is it too late? Can they sacrifice some office space and make it higher and deeper, especially in the centre?

deckchair

Jan 23, 2009
larger area for buses after matches ie bennetts field.that would stop car congestion and stop the need for stewards to have tell passengers where to form queues on the steps.each park and ride destination could have its own designated area

What a twat. Why should 60-80% of the people that travel by sustained transport be put out so you and you car can get out? Twat.

i meant change bennetts field from carpark to bus park! i am not a twat.id sooner no fans used cars to get to matches!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Very much this. For a home end it is embarrassingly small. Of course it should have been designed to be bigger in the first place, but is there any way it can be improved, or is it too late? Can they sacrifice some office space and make it higher and deeper, especially in the centre?

I honestly don't think that there is anything to be embarrassed about at the Amex, yes there a tweaks we would like but embarrassed? NEVER.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

I agree a larger home end would be amazing but I really don’t think it’s embarrassing. I think the problem is the West stand is so dominating, the Amex might not the largest stadium but the West stand must be in the top 10 largest stands in England it is truly HUGE.

I also think the North stand is much improved now the corners hve been filled, this photo really does it justice…..

29mk2kl.jpg

Oct 11, 2005
London
A bigger/ steeper North Stand is desperately needed IMHO.

Here's a very quick visual showing how it could work..

Attachments

• Bigger_north.jpg
    Bigger_north.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 180

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here