Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] What films had the the most profound effect on you

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Oddly, I’ve seen it once, half drunk with the missus, so I’ll have to get back to you. Pulp Fiction and both Kill Bills have gone into double figures. Hateful Eight a few times.

I’ll put watching it again on my Christmas to do list Swanny with that review in mind. I think you have a point....but I’m not certain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the biggest QT fan in the world but talking to some friends who grew up in SoCal several decades ago the movie set was very nostalgic. Was impressive QT believed much of old LA still exists and his sets used very little to no CGI.

Film has a lot more depth and backstory, and it’s not a simple suicide note to Hollywood like what Swans says but if you’re going to take the time to watch it (not an easy watch, IMO) being buzzed or distracted would be a waste of time as it’s not a good popcorn watching movie.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
The Breakfast Club

I actually went to see it at the cinema on its 30th anniversary, on my birthday!

Felt so unbelievably relatable when I was a teen. Exploring uncomfortable truths about being human, specifically a teen, in an environment of overwhelming social pressures.

Every year that goes by it feels less relatable, sadly...

(cracking theme track!)

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For profound effect I would have to say Leaving Las Vegas. If ever a film emphasised the evil side of alcohol and usually puts me right off the sauce for a while.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh, Schindlers list.

Wanted to puke half way through it.

Only ever seen it once, probably 25 years ago and still remember some scenes vividly

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not my best movies but profound

Apocalypse Now
The Killing Fields (every time)
Jacob's Ladder
Schindler's List

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
How green was my valley. very young when I first watched it with tears rolling down my eyes. Comradery, Injustice, social deprivation set against a longing to improve the lives of ones children.
Way out west. Could of been any Laurel and Hardy - genius.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
American History X - Derek's journey from being a hardcore racist to having his eyes opened. The cause and effect for the ending

This along with similar themed films which I would add Crash & This is England all great films with an underlying story.
The later film is something I could relate to as a youngster when a very similar unsavoury character who had been screwdriver security tried to indoctrinate us who were in a similar group friends but different youth cult. He is still wanted in this country, but now plies his evil in America.

Shindlers list goes without saying along with Saving Private Ryan opening scene are a must for every school child, I would possibly add 1917 and Dunkirk. The horrors of war can never really be captured on film, but boy do they when done right bring it home to how lucky we are.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Saving Private Ryan first ten minutes can't help but be a shocking experience, my Father in Law and Grandad did D-Day and Salerno respectively, neither of them ever spoke about either...

Although SPR the landings scene is a visceral experience, and various parts of the film, the most shocking, and I mean it just had me shaking almost was the knife scene toward the end after the hand to hand fight in the house. I’ve just not been able to shake that scene, even typing this I can relive how intimate, intense and shockingly in the face of death it was.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A film that just blew me away in terms of vision, narrative, imagination, characters, dark humour was Terry Gilliam’s Brazil. I must have watched it 50 times. If it’s on or available I’ll watch it again. It’s truly a work of absolute creative genius. Imho.:smile:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Star wars
Raiders of the lost ark
Little Buddha
Predator
Die hard
Conan
Airplane
Ghostbusters
Naked gun
American ninja
Rambo
Platoon
Starship troopers
The matrix
These are the films that have had the most effect on me I think.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Good thread.

The movies I remember from childhood cinema outings were the scarey ones, Watership Down and Time Bandits, both of which I was quite young to watch. Watching at home with family, that villain from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.....terrifying.

Return of the Jedi was my favourite ever cinema outing as a kid, even though it's the weakest of the original trio of course (cannot type with this without mentally saying Triiiiiiiiiiioo).

The film that had the biggest impact when I was at secondary school was getting my older brother (?) to rent Aliens from Mr Video. I watched this daytime at home on my own when pulling a sickie and had to keep pausing to get a grip. Of course, the first one is the masterpiece but Aliens is a brilliant war film and brilliantly suspenseful. Such a shame that none of that tension was ever recreated in any of the following movies. I will still watch any Alien movie in the series though.

(already mentioned) but at Uni, Reservoir Dogs (I could barely watch the bloody car scene as i went into cold sweats) and Silence of the Lambs were both huge. The latter is brilliant (even though Manhunter is probably better in some ways).

Still remember watching the first Jurassic Park film with all the family in a packed Uckfield cinema.

It's a shame imo that big family outings to the cinema are now likely to be a thing of the past. Not because of covid but because of the ease and laziness of streaming. To me, going to the flicks is still a real treat and something special. Cannot wait to see the latest Bond film at the cinema when we can, hopefully at either of the Dukes.

edit - Porky's and Flesh Gordon, how did I forget these seminal move rentals with the lads from my youth!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here