[Film] What films had the the most profound effect on you

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Glorious black and white movies such as:

Goodbye Mr Chips
Wuthering Heights

set in train a passion for movies. Genuine tear jerkers, I still love them.

More recently, Gregory’s Girl ..... the movie of my teens, loved everything about it and it links to my interest in New Wave.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
After your watched them?

I was almost traumatised by three films and they stuck in my mind for days afterwards

The Deer Hunter (Russian roulette and the water holding pens)
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest ( ****ing Nurse Ratched!)
Carrie ( the end freaked me out)

You?
Most of you will make fun of this but Green Street Hooligans. As an American in my late teens I had never seen a British film that wasn’t the Hugh Grant/Notting Hill type and felt like I was watching something about a real culture I didn’t know existed. I remember showing it to my roommates in college and every single of of them not saying a word the entire movie. They don’t follow EPL like I do but something they would’ve scoffed at now they respect when I bring it up.

Was a gateway to so much entertainment I know consume, esp British stand up comedy, oddly enough. Would’ve never wanted to find out more about that world if it wasn’t for that movie.

Other than that - Rear Window, A Christmas Story, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Catch Me If You Can.

This is Spinal Tap
Hot Fuzz
Anything involving Leslie Nielsen after he stopped being a straight actor.
Galaxy Quest - spot on "Star Trek" parody done so well that even devoted "Trekkies" like it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Glorious black and white movies such as:

Goodbye Mr Chips
Wuthering Heights

set in train a passion for movies. Genuine tear jerkers, I still love them.

More recently, Gregory’s Girl ..... the movie of my teens, loved everything about it and it links to my interest in New Wave.

Filmed in North Lanarkshire

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Schindlers List - Emotively

But the film of my Teens and Growing up into Adulthood - Possibly Grease

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Repulsion - had a vivid impact on an impressionable 17 year old mind
Psycho - sheer fear in the claustrophobic warmth of the Essoldo cinema in Tunbridge Wells
The Devils - I wondered why so many people walked out halfway through
Deliverance - when you know that things are going to get a lot lot worse
Babette's Feast - the dark brooding scandinavian skies, simple lives underpinned by religious oppression all enlightened by sinful french food
Cinema Paradiso - the joys of cinema
Shawshank Redemption - probably the best film I've ever seen

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The Truman Show - Made me question whether my life was all an elaborate TV show
The Matrix - Made me question reality
Fight club - Engaged some of my early anti-capitalist opinions
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Intensely thought provoking take on romance
American Beauty - Another that makes one reflect on the most important things in life
Schindler's List - Speaks for itself

I saw Schindler's List in a packed cinema in Holland. An unforgettably moving experience given the relationships between the countries.

La grande bellezza/The Great Beauty - went and saw in 7 times in a couple of weeks I was so profoundly moved and dazzled

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What did you think about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

I didnt particularly like it the first time I saw it but the second time, it really made me think. First I thought it was just Tarantino ******* over his own movie passion, sort of a cute tribute to Hollywood. But its really the suicide letter of cinema. His way of saying "you cant do original, oddball movies in Hollywood anymore so I'm going to make one"... well aware that in the age of fifteen minutes of fame and this entertainment overflow on Netflix etc., no director will ever again be as powerful as he is - no director of the future is going to do their own movies, they are just going to carry out Star Wars 32 and Lion King 12 and whatever makes easy profit.

Oddly, I’ve seen it once, half drunk with the missus, so I’ll have to get back to you. Pulp Fiction and both Kill Bills have gone into double figures. Hateful Eight a few times.

I’ll put watching it again on my Christmas to do list Swanny with that review in mind. I think you have a point....but I’m not certain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mary Poppins
Psycho. The star character killed after 20 minutes? WTF? ???
The Usual Suspects. Probably my favourite film.

I'll mention Deliverance because even though it is unwatchably unpleasant, it spawned a permanent comedy meme when an absurd character in the sit com 2012 was labled 'head of Deliverance'. I snigger every time I think of that :lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Cumbernauld new town?

I know Scotland well for a sassanach! Tons of holidays there in the 80’s and 90’s due to having a Scottish gf. Before that, a passion for the Highlands, including a getting smashed holiday when 17 in Aviemore :lolol:

Love the country.

Yes Cumbernauld, not far from where I was born in Uddingston - Famous for only 2 things

1. Gregory's Girl

2. Tax Collection Office

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The first film that had a profoundly scary effect on me was the old black and white film:

"The Werewolf of London"

Made in 1935. I was only about 10 when I saw it and I found it absolutely terrifying.

Films that I have found extremely moving and have left a lasting impression include:

"Harold & Maude"
"Paris Texas"
"Johnny Got His Gun"
"Birdy"

For sheer awe inspiring cinema it has to be:

"Fitzcarraldo".

A great insight into the madness of the making of that film is provided in the dedicated documentary "Burden of Dreams".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here