Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think you'll find that with Karenin and Vronsky already in play poor Anna doesn't have the bandwidth to add another lover. Good luck though.

Yeah, but with the way SASTA is she may be waiting a long time for a train to throw herself under; so he may have a chance

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think you'll find that with Karenin and Vronsky already in play poor Anna doesn't have the bandwidth to add another lover. Good luck though.

Plot spoiler??? Keira Knightly did look good on the film poster ....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just finished reading the Man Booker International Prize winner 2016. The Vegetarian by Han Kang.

A short-ish novel that starts simply enough. A Korean housewife who has a dream and through that decides to stop eating meat. The book then gets quite dark very quickly. Mental illness, social mores breaking down in a ritual-heavy culture like South Korea, sexual abuse of the mentally ill - it's all there.

The first Korean novel I've ever read and I wonder if they're all this intense. Having seen a fair few Korean films I think it might be true. For all the subject matter it's very well translated so is a quick read, difficult to feel affinity with any of the main protagonists but some of the concepts introduced are very novel and thought-provoking.

Highly recommended and deals with self-harming much better than the grief lit that was short-listed for the main Man Booker Prize last year.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Thinking Statistically - Uri Bram
Nice little stats book - easy read for the layman

The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky
Like it so far but a bit of stuff about poker variants I don't play

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tom's Midnight Garden, by Philippa Pearce - have read it before, and have read it aloud to all my children - but still a brilliant book.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr. Pretty darn peachy so far, great writing.

Ah, good book. My heart sinks when I see "International best seller" but I was impressed with this

I'm reading Joseph Roth's The Emperor's Tomb, thanks to the recommendation from [MENTION=24816]Guy Crouchback[/MENTION] (whatever happened to him?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here