Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpeg

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"Wings On My Sleeve" - the autobiography of the late Capt. Eric 'Winkle' Brown.

Fantastic stuff so far.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Death in the Afternoon by Hemingway - fascinating book about bullfighting and, because it is Hemingway, wonderfully written.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No Passing Glory - The Biography of Leonard Cheshire.

The only man to be awarded both the Victoria Cross and the Order of Merit, he flew 102 missions with Bomber Command and led 617 Squadron after the Dams Raid, was present at the bombing of Nagasaki as an observer and went on to found the Leonard Cheshire Homes disability charity.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Billionaire. An early Peter James that has been republished.
Unfortunately not a patch on a DS Grace story.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Didn't think it would be my cup of tea but a stunning read. Glad I took the plunge.

For me it lost its way half way through and was ultimately a bit 'meh.' Deserving of the Booker Prize? Not in my opinion, but one of those books you felt that you should get on with purely because it did win.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A Man called Ove by Fredrik Backman

A great read. Very predictable and nothing new but all the same a lovely feelgood story.

Just finished The narrow road to the deep north by Richard Flanagan. Astonishingly powerful read

I felt like the book lost its way in parts especially in the second half. It is powerful, you're right though.

I have just finished reading Jeremy Duns 'The Dark Chronicles' trilogy. I'm a big spy novel fan and Duns is an excellent author. If you're a Deighton, Forsyth or Le Carre fan then I heartily recommend his novels. I was going to re-read the Gormenghast Trilogy but I started and it became too heavy going so I put that to one side and I'm currently reading Charles Bukowski 'Women'. Very acerbic, very funny, very pithy.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Going to have a go at Anna Karenina next.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think you'll find that with Karenin and Vronsky already in play poor Anna doesn't have the bandwidth to add another lover. Good luck though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here