Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just finished Going to sea in a sieve by Danny Baker.
I'm just about to start,Going off alarming also by Danny Baker.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
In the past year I have been introduced to the books of Harlan Coben.
All brilliant
Up until this current one Deal Breaker which just hasn't grabbed me like the others

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
In the past year I have been introduced to the books of Harlan Coben.
All brilliant
Up until this current one Deal Breaker which just hasn't grabbed me like the others

I like his books. I usually wait for the paperbacks to come out and am reading The Stranger at the moment.
This is very good but I assume Deal Breaker is a hardback.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I read all of his books now.
Never heard of Deal Breaker, if that was one of his 1st books then I can understand it being poor.
Publishers tend to release early works because of the name of the author.
Eg: Peter James books are brilliant, but they have released some of his very 1st books which were really quite poor but they know they will sell because they
have Peter James name on the cover, and the public will buy them.
I always check inside the cover to see when a book was 1st published, they even re-release paperbacks now with different covers to try and con you into
thinking " I dont recognise that cover, I havnt read that one, i'll buy that "

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Oh right. Maybe that explains it. Thanks very much for the knowledge

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Just finished Martin Cruz Smith's 'Stalin's Ghost'.
I've been hooked on the Arkady Renko series of books since I read 'Gorky Park'.
Which is one of the only books that I have read twice.
The film of it starring Lee Marvin was average but the book is good.
I am reading them out of sequence over time but there is no trouble picking up the thread.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just finished Martin Cruz Smith's 'Stalin's Ghost'.
I've been hooked on the Arkady Renko series of books since I read 'Gorky Park'.
Which is one of the only books that I have read twice.
The film of it starring Lee Marvin was average but the book is good.
I am reading them out of sequence over time but there is no trouble picking up the thread.

I read Wolves Eat Dogs in the Renko series a while back. I loved Gorky Park but I found Wolves to be very plodding. I'm currently revisiting my old friend Fitzgerald, starting with Tender Is The Night. I shall cruise through them all again ending with the unfinished, Last Tycoon.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Re-reading "War & Peace" having watched the series on TV.
Quite magnificent in scope and breadth. A proper masterpiece and not at all boring as some people try and make out.
Yes it is a weighty tome, but the story is fabulous. I really like the analysis of the military battles as it appears to be quite neutral and at times very cynical.
Going to have a go at Anna Karenina next.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm reading Silence of the Lambs, having recently read Red Dragon - I'm really disappointed by them both, so far. Red Dragon's first half was outstanding, it was Tottenham vs Man United all those years ago when they went in at the break 3-0 up, but then second half crumbled - Dolarhyde fell apart and his world collapsed much like Tottenham's defence and ended up losing 5-3. I really felt the second half was awful compared to the first and Silence of the Lambs has set up in the opposite direction, the first half has been pondorous and tepid but now Lecter is FINALLY (mercifully) free, it should start to hot up now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here