Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have started to read that a few times thinking that I should enjoy it - but for some reason it just doesn't grip me. I even started listening to a dramatisation on i-Player and gave up. Strange - as I rarely not complete a book.

He himself admits it's not one of his best (despite being a bestseller). It's essentially a crime thriller dressed up as a Third Reich romp, and I wouldn't rate it at much more than 6.3 out of 10.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Gangsters and Goodfellas, which is the follow-up to Wiseguys (the book that Goodfellas was based on).

It picks up where Goodfellas finished off, with Henry Hill as an ordinary "Joe Schmo" in the FBI's witness protection programme. Good stuff, I love a bit of true crime.

The one written by Hill's kids is worth a read - essentially detailing what a complete arsehole the man himself was/is. It's years and years since I've read those books, but there was one called Underboss, written by Sammy 'the Bull' Gravano, Gotti's number two, which is worth a look too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The one written by Hill's kids is worth a read - essentially detailing what a complete arsehole the man himself was/is. It's years and years since I've read those books, but there was one called Underboss, written by Sammy 'the Bull' Gravano, Gotti's number two, which is worth a look too.

Sounds right up my back alley. Any idea what the Hills kids one is called ? Might give that a sniff.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sounds right up my back alley. Any idea what the Hills kids one is called ? Might give that a sniff.

Free pair of concrete slippers with each purchase:

51XHlQME3KL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Superb book. Best line for me is the footnote about meeting Frank Bough. Won't ruin it for you. Had me in tears.

Beginning to think I should of bought the music CD Alan suggests you play whilst you read (does it really exist or is he taking the piss again?). Also wished I had the audiobook as that would of been even funnier.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Autobiography of the US actor Robert Vaughn.

Last of the Magnificent 7 standing, recently finished the "Hustle" series which I really enjoyed.

Some god insights into some of the recent movie "greats" like McQueen, Newman, etc.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Chickenhawk

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Finished Reading
A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke by Ronald Reng

has taken me abit longer then other books , but that's because I was moved by it , as I've mentioned on a different thread I'm currently dealing with depression and to look through this just hit home I asked for help at the right time , definitely worth a read

now onto Jamie Carraghers autobiography , which I admit is slightly different to the above..

Oct 10, 2009
Brighton BN1 6GD
Paddington series - for old times sake found at late mums. can't say its gripping or time consuming, but nostalgic. Next stop 'Alice on the Line' about outback Australia and the telegraph line...again not gripping, but hopefully interesting

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just about to embark on the first tome of Game of Thrones - not sure what to expect as I never saw the tv series

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Titanic Lives - now that ain't just another Titanic book - great read so far.

After that it's the Graham Obree autobiography - The Flying Scotsman

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families - Phillip Gourevitch

An collection of accounts of, and general background to, the Rwandan genocides. Human cruelty really is infinite.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families - Phillip Gourevitch

An collection of accounts of, and general background to, the Rwandan genocides. Human cruelty really is infinite.

horrendous, spent time out there, mindblowing.
many good books written about it, but forget the names now,

Bangkok Eight at the moment, average to good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here