[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Having just binned The Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield after 90 odd pages, I'm now tucking into the much talked about Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I'm reading Pattern Recognition by William Gibson, who I'm only just getting into, although I did read Neuromancer many years ago, and again recently.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Double billing at the moment. Reading 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' and 'A Clockwork Orange'.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"Please, Mr Postman". Alan Johnson's autobiography covering his time in the UPW. Excellent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've just finished a book with a LOT of local relevance. Breakfast in Brighton by Nigel Richardson. Without giving too much away he's from London but spends a summer down here inspired by a painting with the same name as the book title. I would guess it is set in the late 1990s from some of the references and just around the corner from where I was living at the time (his local is the Grosvenor, mine was the Robin Hood and Lion and Lobster). The writing is fantastic, bringing the town and its characters brilliantly to life but I have to admit I got a little frustrated with it. Firstly there is a sub-plot that he just leaves hanging mid way, presumably to be part of a follow up book. Secondly there are some errors around the local information that you would probably only pick up if you'd spent a long time living here. Still well worth a read though.

This morning I am off to the west of Ireland for a business trip. Will be travelling by train to Heathrow and then flying, spending three days there and then back. I am packing In The Forests of The Night by John Simpson, an account of a trip to Peru to try and interview the Shining Path and expose government collusion in the drugs trade. I'm halfway through it so I've also packed Nine Lives by William Dalrymple in case I finish the Simpson. And an Observer. Is that enough?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Atom Bomb Angel - Peter James

Different to all his others as this was his first published and not based in Brighton but good nonetheless

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Atom Bomb Angel - Peter James

Different to all his others as this was his first published and not based in Brighton but good nonetheless

Peter James and the word 'good' in relation to his writing aren't the most comfortable of bedfellows Barry, but each to their own I guess.

:thumbsup:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Peter James and the word 'good' in relation to his writing aren't the most comfortable of bedfellows Barry, but each to their own I guess.

:thumbsup:

I understand what you mean, but I read for entertainment not as part of an English Literature Degree.

A bit like enjoying a film without worrying too much about it winning an Oscar for Editing or Cinematograhpy

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. About a third through and enjoying it. It s bit of a mash-up of contemporary fiction and sci-fi, but very readable (like all his stuff). And BTW I don't understand Amazons pricing at all. This bloke is an established prize winning author, and 2 quid?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. About a third through and enjoying it. It s bit of a mash-up of contemporary fiction and sci-fi, but very readable (like all his stuff).

Mrs Gwylan is reading that at the moment and says it's completely gripping.

I'm reading Measuring the World - the novel about Gauss and von Humboldt: it's OK but not, IMHO, worthy of the hype

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I'm sure it's been covered several times in this thread already but I'm currently reading The Nowhere Men - Michael Calvin, which is a book about football scouts. Pretty interesting and quite a few Brighton mentions - Barry Lloyd talking about Tony Bloom as a Chairman and how we signed Liam Dickinson, plus an ex Liverpool scout gives his opinions on Lewis Dunk. A real eye-opener into the world of scouting!

I've picked up on several authors from this thread, there are some great recommendations.

That Amazon thread has pointed me to Robert Macfarlane, who seems worth reading. And your A303 selection has led me to The A272 - Ode to a Road - now, that's a must-read

Just finished and enjoyed the A303 book, similar in style I felt to A272 ode to a road but without
The lavish pictorial/map format. Anyone inspired to do a volume on the A26 & A 27 - Lord B or Rex Cathedra would be my nominees for this task as I am sure they have a book or 2 in them!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just started The Enemy by Lee Child, just finished Persuader by the same author.
Working my way through the Jack Reacher books.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just started The Enemy by Lee Child, just finished Persuader by the same author.
Working my way through the Jack Reacher books.

Hard to put down imo, even if they do all follow the same premise

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Just finishing All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. It's particularly Cormac McCarthy. I enjoy his style though.

Next is a book called Boy Wonder by James Robert Baker. Highly recommended by a friend. Not sure what to expect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports