Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Just finished, Running with the firm, about a undercover cop in the eighties leading a double life as an undercover hooligan with the Millwall Bushwackers. It was a good read and it was written by the actual policeman involved, there was a film made prior the book called I.D.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Just finished Straight White Male by John Niven. Think I enjoyed it more than Kill Your Friends. He's got a very readable schtick. Moved onto Blood Meridian by Cormac Mcarthy.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Can only cope with short american fiction at the mo so...

image.jpg

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg

Short, sharp, second hand fiction remains the order of the day. I meant to read this years ago.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
View attachment 60373

Short, sharp, second hand fiction remains the order of the day. I meant to read this years ago.

Check out Lynne Ramsey's film adaptation of the book, which I can't compare, as I haven't read the book, but is a v good film :smile:

Ratcatcher by the same director is also worth a look...

Am currently waiting for my latest 'via the link' Amazon purchase, namely Black Square, on the genesis of Russian Suprematist art, a la Malevich :smile:

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Open - the Andre Agassi autobiography - a great insight into the pressures of the tennis world and over-bearing fathers in sport. Un-put-downable.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Check out Lynne Ramsey's film adaptation of the book, which I can't compare, as I haven't read the book, but is a v good film :smile:

Ratcatcher by the same director is also worth a look...

Am currently waiting for my latest 'via the link' Amazon purchase, namely Black Square, on the genesis of Russian Suprematist art, a la Malevich :smile:

Wll do - cheers. I remember a bit of a fuss about both films but have not seen either.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Got that in my 'to read next' pile of books - how do rate it so far?

Excellent so far. I have just finished a classics degree so I am used to reading Roman and greek works, so it is quite refreshing reading from a modern style.

Have you read Persian fire? That is one of his and is really excellent. Puts today's Middle Eastern issues in context.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Open - the Andre Agassi autobiography - a great insight into the pressures of the tennis world and over-bearing fathers in sport. Un-put-downable.

Just wanted to say that is a formidable side listed as your sig, who would probably smash all and sundry in the Championshio asunder, and have us in the Prem by Christmas :clap:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Excellent so far. I have just finished a classics degree so I am used to reading Roman and greek works, so it is quite refreshing reading from a modern style.

Have you read Persian fire? That is one of his and is really excellent. Puts today's Middle Eastern issues in context.

That's in the pile too! Going through a fiction phase at the mo but normally non fiction all the way so should get to them soon.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Just wanted to say that is a formidable side listed as your sig, who would probably smash all and sundry in the Championshio asunder, and have us in the Prem by Christmas :clap:

Was a great team wasn't it - and is my signature because that was the team when I first watched the Albion back in 1970. Those were the days when you could name all the players and their positions, and very little changed. A great Michael Palin sketch on that subject - and I can also still quote: Clemence, Lawler, Lindsay, Smith, Lloyd, Hughes, Keegan, Cormack, Heighway, Toshack, Callaghan. I think that team played just about every match unchanged in that era.

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
Conn Iggulden 2nd volume of War of the Roses, Trinity. Bloody marvellous stuff.

John Lydon's Anger is an energy waiting on the book shelf for my next read

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here