Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Didn't rate Morvern Callar at all. Very weak all round - strikes me as a book of its time (and hype). This next unless someone convinces me otherwise:

image.jpg

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Just finished The Guest Cat , the one that everyone's currently salivating over, the New York Times Bestseller etc. What a pile of gash. Well written but not much else. At least, at 140 pages, it was short.

Just finished the first volume of Danny Baker's bio "Going to sea in a sieve" which I found as funny as everyone else who read seems to think. Many lol moments.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Just finished the first volume of Danny Baker's bio "Going to sea in a sieve" which I found as funny as everyone else who read seems to think. Many lol moments.

Brilliant stuff from db. In an alternative universe he would be a national treasure over Stephen fry. Too too funny. Is it only me or was his mum (from the pictures) a sort too?

Jul 7, 2003

The second one is quite good as well - including two very funny animal stories.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Got Olivia Laing's To the River at Christmas and was charmed by it. It's about one woman's journey from the source of the Ouse (the one in Lewes) to the sea and is part autobiography and part biology/geology with a touch of really lyrical writing. I got lots of books for Christmas but that's the one that really grabbed my attention first

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Got Olivia Laing's To the River at Christmas and was charmed by it. It's about one woman's journey from the source of the Ouse (the one in Lewes) to the sea and is part autobiography and part biology/geology with a touch of really lyrical writing. I got lots of books for Christmas but that's the one that really grabbed my attention first

Presumably Virginia Woolf will get a mention, having drowned herself in the Ouse near Beddingham I believe.

Thanks - on the strength of this have just ordered it off Amazon (via the link at the top of the page naturally) and, due to a mention in one of the Amazon reviews also "A303 - Highway to the Sun".

NSC - it's not just for football.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks - on the strength of this have just ordered it off Amazon (via the link at the top of the page naturally) and, due to a mention in one of the Amazon reviews also "A303 - Highway to the Sun".

NSC - it's not just for football.

I've picked up on several authors from this thread, there are some great recommendations.

That Amazon thread has pointed me to Robert Macfarlane, who seems worth reading. And your A303 selection has led me to The A272 - Ode to a Road - now, that's a must-read

I've picked up on several authors from this thread, there are some great recommendations.

That Amazon thread has pointed me to Robert Macfarlane, who seems worth reading. And your A303 selection has led me to The A272 - Ode to a Road - now, that's a must-read

Good book the A272 one, written by an Anglophile Dutch Couple!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
David Baldacci
The Sixth Man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here