[Albion] What a Lovely Club Chelsea Are..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Not specifically Chelsea but I'd say it's about 50/50 split of STHs I know from work who support Brighton as their second club.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe but Chelsea had a big following down here in the 70s and in many cases that gets passed on to their kids esp when the Albion was struggling in the lower divisions. Then came the Abramovich cash and out crawled the “I’ve followed Chelsea since the 70s brigade, and before that my dad did and his dad, etc”.

Look at the age profile of our STH. High proportion of men over 40. Were all of them going to Withdean and Gillingham?

Not sure anyone said “swathes”, and yes there are other top 6 followers with the exception of Man City, whose rise coincided with ours.

I know a load of Emirates STH'ers (grown men who switched to Arsenal in the Graham or Wenger years, Brighton born'n'bred, no London family connections), some of whom go to Amex games.

All 50 plus.

Got their kids into Arsenal too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't understand why some on here are so adamant that other team supporters don't have season tickets at the Amex. My Aston Villa supporting neighbour has three other friends and they share two half season tickets (yes, they've paid the fee to share and are all Albion+ members).

A refusal to accept that nothing less than 28,000 are lifelong diehard Albion fans, who've were never, ever fanboys of London clubs.

To make us seem bigger?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Chelsea fans were awful as expected, did not like it up em. Some homophobic stuff from the east stand and after the game, stuff being thrown at fans leaving away end.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I don’t know any Albion fans who are Chelsea fans, but saying that, I do tend to hang out with the more ‘loyal’ sort of fan.

A few local Chelsea fans came to a few away games in the League 1 promotion season (mainly down to Gus, I think) none of them were originally from this area, only one being from London and his dad supported Palace! Pretty sure none of them go now and were probably pretty pissed off last night :D

As for other ‘2 teamers’ I only know 3 personally. 1 is Liverpool and the other 2 are West Ham. Don’t know if they’ve actually ever been to their grounds though. For everyone of those ‘2 teamers’, I know proper Albion fans who don’t have a season tickets anymore.

Funny that out of all the other teams our fans could support, Palace choose us Chelsea :lol: Weird.

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Changed my mind about Tuchel after watching his interview. He said:

- They had enough chances to win it (wrong - we had more chances, and what did they create apart from the goal?)

- They were denied a stonewall penalty (so 'stonewall' the TV pundits didn't even know what he was referring to).

- Moaned endlessly about weakness of squad due to injuries and Covid. Just like every other team then, including us.

No acknowledgement or admittance that his team had been outplayed for most of the game.

Total prick.

And he didn't mention the lack of red card shown for that 2 footed jump tackle in the first half.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
There’s no way a third of Amex season ticket holders have another club as their first club. I know we had the lost generation, but I don’t think they form a particularly large part of our demographic.

Can’t remember the exact number, but didn’t we have over 30,000 on the database when at Withdean? Certainly took 30,000 to the play off final…although maybe most of them were Chelsea fans. Almost every single one of them wore an Albion shirt that day.

If we suddenly had an extra 10,000 fans turn up when we got to the Premier League, some might have a point, but we had very good crowds in The Championship. Do people seriously think that thousands of plastics were waiting in the wings for The Amex to be built? Just so they could (in their eyes) watch a small, irreverent club play in the second division?

Anyway, no matter how many of these 2 teamers there are, I think their number will decrease over time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There’s no way a third of Amex season ticket holders have another club as their first club. I know we had the lost generation, but I don’t think they form a particularly large part of our demographic.

Can’t remember the exact number, but didn’t we have over 30,000 on the database when at Withdean? Certainly took 30,000 to the play off final…although maybe most of them were Chelsea fans. Almost every single one of them wore an Albion shirt that day.

If we suddenly had an extra 10,000 fans turn up when we got to the Premier League, some might have a point, but we had very good crowds in The Championship. Do people seriously think that thousands of plastics were waiting in the wings for The Amex to be built? Just so they could (in their eyes) watch a small, irreverent club play in the second division?

Anyway, no matter how many of these 2 teamers there are, I think their number will decrease over time.

Definitely - in particular must be huge numbers of local kids that will be ‘first teamers’ compared to years ago. I see Albion shirts on kids everywhere now, 15 years ago it still mostly Chelsea and Man U.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Where and when did this “third” creep in?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I used to go to Highbury and Emirates when mates tickets going spare, never supported Arsenal or even a soft spot for. Just liked to see football. By same token, Arsenal mate enjoyed a number of Albion games down the years from L1 to Prem. He doesn’t support Albion either, though he’s first to admit it’s more fun following Brighton!

People need to get over themselves. Every week, at every ground, there will be fans of other clubs amongst the crowd. Always the case and always will be.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I used to go to Highbury and Emirates when mates tickets going spare, never supported Arsenal or even a soft spot for. Just liked to see football. By same token, Arsenal mate enjoyed a number of Albion games down the years from L1 to Prem. He doesn’t support Albion either, though he’s first to admit it’s more fun following Brighton!

People need to get over themselves. Every week, at every ground, there will be fans of other clubs amongst the crowd. Always the case and always will be.

Correct.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have long thought that the ideal, if you live in London, would be to go to games of form teams. Is it possible to love football but not have a team that you support?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have long thought that the ideal, if you live in London, would be to go to games of form teams. Is it possible to love football but not have a team that you support?

It is. But I also think these people should be registered, just in case like.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I have a friend who is a STH at Selhurst Park, he’s been to the Amex with us on numerous occasions when we’ve not been playing Palace, he’s even entertained some of his clients in the 1901 Club. He enjoys the experience at the Amex, but to be fair has a wry smile if/when we lose a game, but then gets the next round in, no hard feelings. We on the other hand give him dogs abuse at every opportunity, and none of us have ever accepted his offer to join him at SP.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
All of the above, but the biggest disappointment for me is the number of Albion STHs whose first club is Chelsea. I just don’t get it!!
Where does this little gem originate from, extensive research?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports