Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Wetherspoons

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I may have missed it, but I don't recall Tesco, Sainsbury or Adsa forcing their owner's political views upon their clientele, or forcing their staff to use their time to distribute their political propaganda.

Martin CHOSE to directly involve his business in his politics - its only logical and equitable that those who find his politics unpalatable, now choose not to patronise said business.

Yes, much better that firms keep any dirty dealings or unethical policies under wraps, unbeknown to their customers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, much better that firms keep any dirty dealings or unethical policies under wraps, unbeknown to their customers.

It’s really not the same. It isn’t just s distinction between being open or not. Martin deliberately set out to make half of the nation feel unwelcome in his establishments. In my case he succeeded and so presumably he and I are both perfectly comfortable with my choice.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you want to look down on people on benefits who cannot afford higher pub prices, that's your problem.

I clearly never said that.

That Weatherspoons was frequented by very ill local alcoholics attracted by low prices. The same way betting shops have positioned themselves accordingly.

Look down on them ? I've put homeless people in taxis, told the driver to take them to a shelter and paid the fair.

I have no problem - have you ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Doubt many Wetherspoons punters would even know who Tim Martin is. And rightly so. Come for the good value food and drink, the efficient and enthusiastic young bar/catering team, the comfortable spacious surroundings and the spotless toilets that help you achieve your 10,000 steps daily. Everything else is just virtue-signalling posturing and sneering at the ordinary folk who enjoy a good Wetherspoons. Which clientele would include most normal people, I'd suggest

Enhanced for accuracy

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How does that work? And that works with the food as well? I always assumed not being tied to breweries would help on the alcohol side.

Simply put he goes to a brewery, agrees to buy a minimum of xyz beer for a good price. The brewery then knows in advance how much to brew etc.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Plenty of 'spoons around Kings Cross/Angel area, is there a favourite one for BHA fans for pre match beers tomorrow?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I get the point about Tim Martin. Loathsome individual. However, own a mobile phone? Own clothing? Consume any product made by Coca Cola? Chances are you are funding exploitation of people on a regular basis.

I rarely drink in a spoons, but enjoy their breakfasts. I can live with that.

It’s really not the same. It isn’t just s distinction between being open or not. Martin deliberately set out to make half of the nation feel unwelcome in his establishments. In my case he succeeded and so presumably he and I are both perfectly comfortable with my choice.

Isn't it a shame in this modern binary world, where disagreeing with someone's views means you have to boycott/cancel them.

Whatever happened to the old and beloved belief that whilst I may disagree with you, I'll defend your right to have your own views.

In my world, even I do/don't, like/dislike, agree/disagree with Tim Martin personally, I will still enjoy his nice pubs with good surroundings and good quality beer at excellent prices. I am not one for cutting my nose off to spite my face.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having worked in one of the first Spoons in the mid-80s I know some of the tricks used to keep prices low. Managers are only allowed a tiny percentage of wastage and so I've seen drip trays, slop buckets and even beer left in glasses go back in the barrel.

If you are surviving on a state pension or are a poor student I don't suppose you care, but if you can afford better then I don't understand why you would use them.

Love to know how and what the beer was that received this delight. I only ask because if put into an ale it will undoubtedly cause an infection which means your average ale drinker will detect and refuse. Also most ale drinkers know the beer they are drinking so any change in taste would again be rejected. The act of pour back would easily disturb the sediment. Secondly to put into a keg it would need to be depressurised. The act of this would be to flatten the product. To re-gas takes a long time in a standard cellar again meaning punters would know it's wrong so reject it. Adds up to extra waste.

The only trick is to put it in an empty cask then return it as ullage and hope for a replacement. Perhaps back in the 80's breweries were more forgiving. These days you get horrible people like me analysing the contents and we can find out quickly if there's dishonesty.

Pour (filtering) back used to be done into the ever lasting Mild cask in years gone by. Never seen mild in a Spoons. It was banned years ago by Customs & Excise unless stringent methods are used and licensed.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't HAVE to boycott his pubs. I just choose to.

I'm not really sure why this point is difficult for people to understand? It's a choice to attend, or not to attend. Like you, I have made a decision not to.

Considering the depth of pub options, I don't think I'm losing anything by ruling out him and his chain.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Speaking on a remainer who can't wait for the disaster to be reversed by a government that cares more for the security and wellbeing of a united Europe than the current spivs who care only for enriching themselves and cronies, the owners stance on brexit bothers me not one bit.

Nor have I ever seen the type of people derided here any any weatherspoon I have visited, the 3 in Brighton seem to attract a young crowd rather than dossiers and on my travels around the country I must have visited another dozen, I tend to seek them out because I know they will have great beers, be ( grand) child friendly and usually sell just as good fish and chips as I can get at any seaside fish bar with a pint of Punk for £12 ish.

Besides, Quack from Belgium at £3.40 a pint!!! What's not to like

What disaster is that then...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm not really sure why this point is difficult for people to understand? It's a choice to attend, or not to attend. Like you, I have made a decision not to.

Considering the depth of pub options, I don't think I'm losing anything by ruling out him and his chain.

Quite

I don't drink in Green king pubs either, just because the beers shit. . . independants generally . . .and No I don't have a beard and my bikes got gears, brakes and normal colour tyres!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Quite

I don't drink in Green king pubs either, just because the beers shit. . . independants generally . . .and No I don't have a beard and my bikes got gears, brakes and normal colour tyres!

I agree with you on GK pubs. Generally speaking their cellars are to die in not to die for.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I used to be a big fan of Spoons and would always go to the 2 in Putney before home games. I saw Tim Martin coming out of one after he'd done a surprise visit. However, his rampant Brexiteering had totally alienated me and I've not been in one since. Evidently I'm not the only CAMRA member who feels the same as the £20 worth of beer vouchers is no longer limited to Spoons.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Love to know how and what the beer was that received this delight. I only ask because if put into an ale it will undoubtedly cause an infection which means your average ale drinker will detect and refuse. Also most ale drinkers know the beer they are drinking so any change in taste would again be rejected. The act of pour back would easily disturb the sediment. Secondly to put into a keg it would need to be depressurised. The act of this would be to flatten the product. To re-gas takes a long time in a standard cellar again meaning punters would know it's wrong so reject it. Adds up to extra waste.

The only trick is to put it in an empty cask then return it as ullage and hope for a replacement. Perhaps back in the 80's breweries were more forgiving. These days you get horrible people like me analysing the contents and we can find out quickly if there's dishonesty.

Pour (filtering) back used to be done into the ever lasting Mild cask in years gone by. Never seen mild in a Spoons. It was banned years ago by Customs & Excise unless stringent methods are used and licensed.

I guess you haven’t heard of autovacs then?

Never seen one in a Wetherspoons but there’s plenty of pubs using them.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Indeed, there are some decent 'Spoons scattered about serving nice food.

Some beardies seeking Badgers Plop Nut Roast Special Ale can do as they see fit,. I shall be making use of such amenities tomorrow in the capital.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I guess you haven’t heard of autovacs then?

Never seen one in a Wetherspoons but there’s plenty of pubs using them.

I have.
https://beerinsider.com/the-bad-from-the-good-old-days/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here