Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Wetherspoons

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
The other day someone was suggesting their southern Spanish fiends preferred the ‘spoons microwaved frozen fish to the freshly landed seafood from their hometown….now they’re hipster pubs. What exactly do they put in the beer at these places?

It is called humour, something zee Germans don't understand, the man referenced female reproductive organs and I countered with the old Brazillian gag.

I don't identify the West Street crowd with either camp, when I visit,usually on a Saturday meeting up with friends prior to a meal and post meal drink before home it has a young vibrant crowd in.

I understand that you have higher expectations but for a family friendly meal ' spoons is no worse than the fare from places like Zizzi or any pasta/ pizza chain. What I don't get is why you spend so much effort on a thread about a chain you despise.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not a fan of Tim Martin, but you have to admit it's an amazing business model....

Massive-scale so they can buy everything as it's coming to the end of its sell date and still get it out at a big discount.

Would be if that was correct which it isn’t.

He buys in bulk in a futures style of purchasing. Therefore he gets the best price. Short lived beer is a complete fabrication.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is called humour, something zee Germans don't understand, the man referenced female reproductive organs and I countered with the old Brazillian gag.

I don't identify the West Street crowd with either camp, when I visit,usually on a Saturday meeting up with friends prior to a meal and post meal drink before home it has a young vibrant crowd in.

I understand that you have higher expectations but for a family friendly meal ' spoons is no worse than the fare from places like Zizzi or any pasta/ pizza chain. What I don't get is why you spend so much effort on a thread about a chain you despise.

When you have to explain a gag…it’s not really humour. I’m not disputing it’s no worse than the some other chains. And as I have said before, I don’t have an issue with chains per se. It’s more that there are far better chains out there. I just find ‘spoons pubs grim places on many levels.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So I think we are all in agreement that Wetherspoons are generally very good value, and offer a decent option on the high street.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So I think we are all in agreement that Wetherspoons are generally very good value, and offer a decent option on the high street.

No.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

He buys in bulk in a futures style of purchasing. Therefore he gets the best price. Short lived beer is a complete fabrication.

especially as the bulk of it is pasteurized keg and keeps for ages

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Indeed, the two are not mutually exclusive. :thumbsup:

Totally agree with both. We have to deal with businesses that are not run for the greater good of all.
Personally I find the tax avoiding , pension fund destroying. Pro free market until they expect us to pick up the bill Crew like green and branson much more offensive.

And I can't wait for us to rejoin the EU again.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Most people who I know go into Wetherspoons are c***s. But I guess birds of a feather flock together.

I hope you make an exception for my wife and her sister who ventured into a Wetherspoons the other evening, before visiting the theatre in Wimbledon. Oh yes, and my youngest has also been known to frequent their establishments from time to time, ever since being on a tight budget as a student and the habit must have stuck even though he is now gainfully employed.
Bunch of c…s, all three of them.:wozza:::shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
and that Tim Martin is a ****, yes.

Doubt many Wetherspoons punters would even know who Tim Martin is. And rightly so. Come for the good value food and drink, the efficient and enthusiastic young bar/catering team, the comfortable spacious surroundings and the spotless toilets. Everything else is just virtue-signalling posturing and sneering at the ordinary folk who enjoy a good Wetherspoons. Which clientele would include most normal people, I'd suggest

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Do you shop at Tesco... Saudi Sainsbury's... Asda? Plenty of nasty stuff goes on with them too. Amazon?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do you shop at Tesco... Saudi Sainsbury's... Asda? Plenty of nasty stuff goes on with them too. Amazon?

I may have missed it, but I don't recall Tesco, Sainsbury or Adsa forcing their owner's political views upon their clientele, or forcing their staff to use their time to distribute their political propaganda.

Martin CHOSE to directly involve his business in his politics - its only logical and equitable that those who find his politics unpalatable, now choose not to patronise said business.

Last edited:

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020

How does that work? And that works with the food as well? I always assumed not being tied to breweries would help on the alcohol side.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Doubt many Wetherspoons punters would even know who Tim Martin is. And rightly so. Come for the good value food and drink, the efficient and enthusiastic young bar/catering team, the comfortable spacious surroundings and the spotless toilets. Everything else is just virtue-signalling posturing and sneering at the ordinary folk who enjoy a good Wetherspoons. Which clientele would include most normal people, I'd suggest

Nice. If Wetherspoons punters don't care, that's fine. People are free to choose whom to boycott without being labled virtue signallers or sneering snobs.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
100% agreed as a London resident of 25 years.

They've lived off alcoholics struggling to get by on benefits for years. Everyone knows it. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise hasn't a scooby.

I walked past it for years (3 mins from my front door) until they finally decided to shut it down.

Simply a place for men over 50 to get lashed by lunchtime.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

As you say, you haven't lived in London long, virtually just the 21st century. But, I can assure you, I have never walked into a Wetherspoons anywhere and felt uncomfortable with the clientele, unlike some of the pubs I've been to in North and East London. If you want to look down on people on benefits who cannot afford higher pub prices, that's your problem, don't blame them. I understand, whilst disagree, with the people who won't use Wetherspoons because of Tim Martin, I wouldn't choose to fly Virgin because of Richard Branson. But, that's the wonderful thing about democracy and freedom, we can choose.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A group of guys,all turning 40, discussed where they should meet for lunch.
Finally it was agreed they would meet at Wetherspoons in Worthing because the waitresses had big breasts and wore mini shirts
Ten years later at age 50 the friends once again discussed where they should meet for lunch
Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Worthing because the waitresses were attractive the food and service was good and the beer selection was excellent
Ten years leter at age 60 the friends again discussed where they should meet for Lunch. Finally it was agreed they would meet in Wetherspoons in Worthing because there was plenty of parking and they could dine in peace and quiet with no loud music and it was good value for money
Ten years later at age 70 the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Worthing because the restaurant was wheel chair accessible and had a toilet for the disabled
Ten years later at age 80 the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet in Wetherspoons in Worthing because they had never been there before.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
In Rodboro in Guildford between train and bus journeys. Half way between the stations, old car factory, decent clientele, nice pint of Theakstons and good wifi for watching The Masters. Well I’m happy for £2.19.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here