[Cricket] West Indies v England - First Test

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are crap, fortunately, the Windies are slightly worse than us. This is like the old boxing heavyweight division 25 years ago when two blubbery yanks would slap each other around the upper arms and hang on to each other for 12 rounds. Both sides are more afraid to lose rather than play for a result.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
We always play well at the Viv Richards Stadium, so happy days ahead as they were this time last year in the three one days !!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
350 plus minimum then declare and bowl them out

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Aussies in The Ashes will do for Cook and Moores.

The Kiwi's will soften us up first, the Aussies will smash us, we then play Pakistan who will kick us while we're down, and finally just the minor inconvenience of AB De Villiers and his mob at the end of the year. Nothing to worry about!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good effort by Balance and Root last night in seeing off the new ball and accumulating handy runs in that final hour.

The Windies have no spin threat, the captaincy is poor, once you've blocked the new ball bowlers it should be happy days and 400+ totals every time.

I'm very worried about Cook and I think it was a mistake to pair him with Trott. The Aussies will be licking their lips at the prospect of knocking those two over cheaply then running through Balance who had a bad World Cup down under. There is no way Bell, Root and Ali will be able to bail England out from 30-3 every time.

Cook has got through plenty of partners since Strauss retired - Carberry, Compton, Robson, he couldn't bat with Root. The thinking with Trott was probably that he could look after himself against the Windies as opposed to throwing in another rookie for Cook to nurse. However, Trott himself has major issues. I wouldn't have touched him again for the test team, I think they should have backed Lyth.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good effort by Balance and Root last night in seeing off the new ball and accumulating handy runs in that final hour.

The Windies have no spin threat, the captaincy is poor, once you've blocked the new ball bowlers it should be happy days and 400+ totals every time.

I'm very worried about Cook and I think it was a mistake to pair him with Trott. The Aussies will be licking their lips at the prospect of knocking those two over cheaply then running through Balance who had a bad World Cup down under. There is no way Bell, Root and Ali will be able to bail England out from 30-3 every time.

Cook has got through plenty of partners since Strauss retired - Carberry, Compton, Robson, he couldn't bat with Root. The thinking with Trott was probably that he could look after himself against the Windies as opposed to throwing in another rookie for Cook to nurse. However, Trott himself has major issues. I wouldn't have touched him again for the test team, I think they should have backed Lyth.

I agree with every word of this: Trott was a shocking selection, he'll be a sitting duck to the Aussies. Ali's another one to worry about, he's got a few issues with short-pitched bowling too.Personally, I'd have stuck with Carberry - not sure what he did wrong - but Lyth has to be worth a go too

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think they've been too quick with Carberry, Compton and Robson. It's not look Cook's performances have been any better, and yet they've all been cast aside. Lyth I suppose just failed to nail his place with just the one 50 against SA for the Lions at the turn of the year.

I agree with you on Trott, but this is classic England in trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. I'd have stuck with Carberry if it was me. To let him face the Ashes then drop him as if it was his fault when we were vastly out played just seemed like it's all been about protecting the captain. What have we given them, Carberry 6 tests, Robson 7 tests, Compton 9 tests. It's all chop and change far to easy. Reminds me of the early '90's where you had the core of the team steady, but everyone else was just dropped like hot potatoes. Those 3 must look at their records compared to Cook's over the last 18 months and wonder what they've done wrong in comparison to our captain!?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree with every word of this: Trott was a shocking selection, he'll be a sitting duck to the Aussies. Ali's another one to worry about, he's got a few issues with short-pitched bowling too.Personally, I'd have stuck with Carberry - not sure what he did wrong - but Lyth has to be worth a go too

Agree. Carberry was unlucky a couple times too, and looked more resilient against the Aussie attack. He actually finished England's 2nd highest scorer in that series on 281 runs, only 13 behind KP. Cook got 246... Carberry basically played the 5 test Ashes series and was then dropped despite being 2nd top scorer, I mean seriously, wtf!?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
IThose 3 must look at their records compared to Cook's over the last 18 months and wonder what they've done wrong in comparison to our captain!?

In the last 20 tests, since the home series with NZ in 2013, Cook has averaged 31.11. That compares with Robson's 30.54, Carberry's 28.75 and Compton's 31.93 - the difference is that five of Carberry's six matches were against Australia in Oz. (Cook's average that series was 24.7). You tell me what Carberry's done wrong

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
In the last 20 tests, since the home series with NZ in 2013, Cook has averaged 31.11. That compares with Robson's 30.54, Carberry's 28.75 and Compton's 31.93 - the difference is that five of Carberry's six matches were against Australia in Oz. (Cook's average that series was 24.7). You tell me what Carberry's done wrong

Robson has some serious technical issues (as does Cook).

Carberry I am indifferent too, he tended to get started, then get out stupidly, then the whole team collapsed!!

Compton can feel hard done by. He gets 2 centuries in New Zealand, but by the home series against the Kiwi's his place is in doubt and then dropped for the Ashes. His footwork can look a little lead like, but he did get runs. I suspect he was a bit of a loner and did not fit into the Cook, Swann, Anderson, Broad, Bresnan clique.

There was a stat doing the rounds last night that since Strauss retired, England have managed only 3 century opening stands. All three were Cook and Compton.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The main issue appears to be: gets out instead of scoring runs.

Don't get me wrong, the issue isn't arguing that Carberry, Compton or Robson were excellent international opening bats, Robson probably the most fragile of the 3, the discussion is whether they should have all been cast aside so quickly. Carberry has basically been judged solely on 5 test matches in Australia, which nobody did well in.

Perhaps Trott is in because the dressing room was missing a bit of South African blood in there. With Prior out, no Strauss or KP, clearly they needed to get someone not born in England back in as soon as they could...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great post. The Aussies will make mincemeat of Trott - won't be sympathetic to his 'troubles' unfortunately - and they always target the skipper. Wheel loose. Heavily. .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports