[Cricket] West Indies v England - First Test

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Compton can feel hard done by. He gets 2 centuries in New Zealand, but by the home series against the Kiwi's his place is in doubt and then dropped for the Ashes. His footwork can look a little lead like, but he did get runs. I suspect he was a bit of a loner and did not fit into the Cook, Swann, Anderson, Broad, Bresnan clique.

There was a stat doing the rounds last night that since Strauss retired, England have managed only 3 century opening stands. All three were Cook and Compton.

Not sure that he's loner - he was good mates with Phillip Hughes (Aussies are not known for being shy and reserved) and he moved back to London as he was bored in Taunton. But I agree that he was dropped rather hastily

I'd still go with Carberry as he didn't look scared against the Aussies but Compton may well be worth a look

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ali Cook is an absolute class act, he's had poor runs of form been vilified by fans and media and come back stronger before and he will do so again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great post. The Aussies will make mincemeat of Trott - won't be sympathetic to his 'troubles' unfortunately - and they always target the skipper. Wheel loose. Heavily. .

It's funny, I'm not even worried about Australia, there really isn't any question we're going to get spanked. My big concern is losing at home to New Zealand, then to Pakistan in the Autumn. In fact, you can trace back England's demise to when we last played Pakistan in the UAE. That tour was when the cracks, cliques and lack of techniques really started to surface.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's funny, I'm not even worried about Australia, there really isn't any question we're going to get spanked. My big concern is losing at home to New Zealand, then to Pakistan in the Autumn. In fact, you can trace back England's demise to when we last played Pakistan in the UAE. That tour was when the cracks, cliques and lack of techniques really started to surface.

I'm tempted to go large on New Zealand winning that test series. Whatever price English bookies offer is going to be too long, I'd have them as marginal favourites, they were unlucky over here last time and they've got much better since then.

I'd like a bet on England not winning a Test all summer as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What I don't understand is that England replaced Graham Gooch with Mark Ramprakash as Batting Coach, and there's no sign yet that he's succeeded in his two primary jobs, which were to get Cook and Trott scoring again.

The pundits stress the importance of the mental side of test cricket. For all his natural ability Ramprakash is one of the mentally weakest England test batsmen of the last 40 years. Against the very top bowlers he went into his shell - 2 test centuries, 12 fifties in 52 matches, 92 innings at an average of 27.32 is a criminal return for a player with 114 first-class centuries to his name.

What Cook needs is a lot of one on one time with Michael Vaughan, both as batsman and captain.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What I don't understand is that England replaced Graham Gooch with Mark Ramprakash as Batting Coach, and there's no sign yet that he's succeeded in his two primary jobs, which were to get Cook and Trott scoring again.

The pundits stress the importance of the mental side of test cricket. For all his natural ability Ramprakash is one of the mentally weakest England test batsmen of the last 40 years. Against the very top bowlers he went into his shell - 2 test centuries, 12 fifties in 52 matches, 92 innings at an average of 27.32 is a criminal return for a player with 114 first-class centuries to his name.

What Cook needs is a lot of one on one time with Michael Vaughan, both as batsman and captain.

Good shout, or maybe Stewart or Strauss. Agree re Ramps too. Him and Hick have been the biggest disappointments in all my time watching England given their talents

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm tempted to go large on New Zealand winning that test series. Whatever price English bookies offer is going to be too long, I'd have them as marginal favourites, they were unlucky over here last time and they've got much better since then.

I'd like a bet on England not winning a Test all summer as well.

15/8 NZ Series win. Not worth it. 6/4 England for me.

I'm looking forward to the Aussies coming and would rather play them on faster wickets than the slow rubbish we prepared specifically for last home Ashes. I want to see their attack at best and see which of our players have the bottle.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good shout, or maybe Stewart or Strauss. Agree re Ramps too. Him and Hick have been the biggest disappointments in all my time watching England given their talents

Alec Stewart is possibly my favourite England test batsman of all-time. Not the most naturally talented player but he worked so hard on his game that he self-improved to be a world-class all-rounder with bat and gloves. I think that what Cook needs is not work ethic but an extrovert like Vaughan to help him regain his confidence.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Alec Stewart is possibly my favourite England test batsman of all-time. Not the most naturally talented player but he worked so hard on his game that he self-improved to be a world-class all-rounder with bat and gloves. I think that what Cook needs is not work ethic but an extrovert like Vaughan to help him regain his confidence.

Agreed. Stewart was as hard as nails as well. The two hundreds in Barbados against that attack in 94 were unbelievable

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bringing back some great memories for me watching this. Mrs P and I did a Caribbean cruise 3 years ago, and when we got to Antigua I went off on a day trip of cricket grounds, culminating in a meet, greet and Q&A with Andy Roberts. This ground was one we visited.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch, Day 4.

A good session for England. 29 overs, 108 runs, 1 wicket

Ballance 91* (210) Stokes 33* (43)

224-4, leading by 328

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports