Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] West Indies v England - First Test

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You got the wickets at a better average than Jimmy (28.4) and just the small added bonus of 5200 runs!

Botham's bowling average was in the low 20's in his pomp. People forget that he was chucking pies for the last 5 years of his test career. A great slip fielder as well.

He's in any conversation about best all rounders ever.

Anderson's record would have been far better but for the years the ECB spent buggering around with his action.

I remember watching this live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVS5OFjfr38

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Botham had a bit of a golden arm as well, how often did he break just these types of partnerships! I guess this is where we are at the moment.

Still, we've still got at least 7 overs to winkle these last three out. :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone else watching this and wondering how slow and painful the summer is going to be with this team?

The bowling is so one dimensional. Ali's no Swann when he comes back, I'm still not totally convinced on his bowling, the remainder of the bowling is so one dimensional. Unless Anderson or Broad get hot or Stokes bowls fast we're not going to get good teams out.

Hindsight is easy but we should have played 2 spinners in this game. The wickets in the West Indies have been slow for some time now, especially in Antigua.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You got the wickets at a better average than Jimmy (28.4) and just the small added bonus of 5200 runs!

Anderson's career is very much one of two halves. Since 2010 he has been amongst the best bowlers in World Cricket.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Botham had the uncanny habit of getting wickets with bad deliveries. I've never known anyone quite like him in that respect.
Botham with the bat could be so exciting as well. Also he'll forever have THAT test match to call on although it was of course him and Willis. Anderson will never have that.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The bowling is so one dimensional. Ali's no Swann when he comes back, I'm still not totally convinced on his bowling, the remainder of the bowling is so one dimensional. Unless Anderson or Broad get hot or Stokes bowls fast we're not going to get good teams out.

Hindsight is easy but we should have played 2 spinners in this game. The wickets in the West Indies have been slow for some time now, especially in Antigua.
Agreed, go to take more risks. Play Rashid, if you're not going to test him against the Windies, when do you? At least play someone who's different from Broad and Anderson, if they're not producing much, Jordan isn't going to be a scary option for the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here