Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck 2

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
can we not have a sensible discussion about this? nobody has said we're doomed, shit, getting relegated or anything of the sort, but i think anyone who watched that game will tell you that we missed welbeck as an option and we don't really have anyone else to step in. he's not going to play 38 games this season, so it's an issue that needs solved.

I thought I saw Welbeck come on as a sub, But [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] has told me he's out till January so I'll gate my coat.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Because his contract is up and June and he was unwilling to renew it, so we took £15m-ish now rather than having a player for the season whose heart wasn’t in it, and would leave for nothing at the end of the season.

Ah yes, completely slipped my mind about his contract situation when I wrote that

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
can we not have a sensible discussion about this? nobody has said we're doomed, shit, getting relegated or anything of the sort, but i think anyone who watched that game will tell you that we missed welbeck as an option and we don't really have anyone else to step in. he's not going to play 38 games this season, so it's an issue that needs solved.

And .... No, of course we can't. As others have said, Welbeck is out till January and we are . . . . in need of signing a new striker or.....(you can guess the rest).

On the other hand....:shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was it because Wellbeck was missing, or because only MacAllister had a decent game out of our starting 11?

That’s because we had no options, focal point or out ball. Messi would look shit with no one to pass to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Maybe, maybe not. You’re guessing, as am I.

I didn’t say refusing to, but I stand by my comment that it’s potentially a concern that we had to/chose to start 6 midfielders tonight. Let’s be honest, the way we played first half we didn’t look like scoring in 1,000 hours of football.

I have a hunch he might start both Undav and Welbeck on Sunday in something close to a 442 diamond in possession/4141 out of possession.

Leicester have been using a 4141 recently under Rodgers and I can see him wanting to put two up top to account for their holding midfielder who sits very deep.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I personally don’t believe that is what happened though.

I think Potter picked the team and tactical set up he felt gave us the best chance of a positive result. He has done this previously for specific matches successfully. Obviously, in this case it didn’t work, but I don’t think it’s because he is refusing to play Undav. I think it’s because Undav wasn’t right for this game and the system he intended to use.

If he don’t give undav a go then how’s he supposed to improve ?
Potter got it wrong tonight with this line up end of

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If he don’t give undav a go then how’s he supposed to improve ?
Potter got it wrong tonight with this line up end of

I think he will give him a go, sooner rather than later. We were unbeaten before tonight, remember!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have a hunch he might start both Undav and Welbeck on Sunday in something close to a 442 diamond in possession/4141 out of possession.

Leicester have been using a 4141 recently under Rodgers and I can see him wanting to put two up top to account for their holding midfielder who sits very deep.

How about the 11 that outclassed Leeds?

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

Good points made. It’s obvious what is needed and has been needed for long time. Excuses of lack of funds/ wages etc can’t be used here after the huge sums received from sales and saved wages. Today was nothing more of a reflection of what we can be like without Welbeck. If we are relying on him all season then we are in a strange place as the guy will give us 25 games max. The fact that we sold Maupay and don’t even play Undav is also very telling… just hope we are active in next couple of days…

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

I thought Welbeck was out til January? What?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
How about the 11 that outclassed Leeds?

Leeds play a completely different system and style to Leicester, with different threats to address and weaknesses to exploit. Leeds are high pressing, attempting to control midfield and build plays from a higher starting line. Leicester are more about attempting to turn teams around using Vardy’s pace, with underlapping fullbacks and being strong on the break.

Not even tactical setup and starting XI will work for every team, which is why Graham is the manager and paid the big bucks to analyse the opposition and ourselves, then try and find a solution to get a positive result.

I’d be looking at Evans and Amartey and wanting two up top against them, to press the ball and try and cancel out their pivot (and basically sole playmaker) Soumaré, who *always* is the one making the key pass to transition from defence to attack.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Leeds play a completely different system and style to Leicester, with different threats to address and weaknesses to exploit. Leeds are high pressing, attempting to control midfield and build plays from a higher starting line. Leicester are more about attempting to turn teams around using Vardy’s pace, with underlapping fullbacks and being strong on the break.

Not even tactical setup and starting XI will work for every team, which is why Graham is the manager and paid the big bucks to analyse the opposition and ourselves, then try and find a solution to get a positive result.

I’d be looking at Evans and Amartey and wanting two up top against them, to press the ball and try and cancel out their pivot (and basically sole playmaker) Soumaré, who *always* is the one making the key pass to transition from defence to attack.

I’ve a more simplistic view that EPL games are won in the midfield, numbers are key to that. Trippier and others commented on the nightmare of our swarming midfield.

The only exceptions to that:
- you’re playing far inferior opposition so can carry two upfront.
- you’re forwards are so good and pacey that they effectively help the midfield when you haven’t got the ball (Mane and Salah).

Hence why virtually the entire EPL only plays one true striker - Haaland, Mitrovic, Welbeck, Jesus.

That’s my layman’s take.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Potter has mentioned he would like a Welbeck type in, I would guess we are trying for one, if we don't get one, we find another way.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Have we ever signed a first team player this close to the window closing, let alone a star striker?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Have we ever signed a first team player this close to the window closing, let alone a star striker?

Quite a few transfers done late on in the window over the last 10 years. Off he top of my head:

Vicente
Crofts
Jobbie
Orlandi
Spanish Dave
Dale Stephens
David Rodriguez
Beram Kayal
Elvis Manure
Jiri Skalak
Duffy
Schellotto
Locadia
Cucurella

Some worked out better than others.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Piece of cake. There must be dozens of strikers out there with Welbeck's attributes just gagging for a chance to come to Brighton and, apart from training every day, sit around in case Welbeck gets tired or is injured.
We may get in another attacking/striking option to complement Trossard/Gross, Undav and Ferguson - but it won't be some sort of Welbeck clone. I wonder just how close Ferguson is to being ready for some first team action? - he may be only 17 (but almost 18), but he's a big lad.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Because his contract is up and June and he was unwilling to renew it, so we took £15m-ish now rather than having a player for the season whose heart wasn’t in it, and would leave for nothing at the end of the season.
Was he offended a new deal then? I don’t think that’s true at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here