Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck 2

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Isn't this just pathetic? We've sold White, Bissouma, Cucurella and Maupay for a combined £140m, yes we have bought some players with that money (Pervis etc) however to go into another premier league season with just Welbeck (injury prone) and Undav (unproven) is just awful. We solely lost this game because of having no striker, it was obvious to everyone during the first half how poor we were. It's the same discussion every year, we weren't even that bad last night, just poor individual performances

The only thing pathetic here is your use of the word pathetic.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We were reminded tonight how we look without a ‘proper’ 9 - fairly toothless.
Welbeck will not play every game from now until January so we have 48 hours to fix it…..deja vu……

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We've been better when he's started recently but doubt there's an easy replacement waiting on the shelf to buy.

Easy no. But possible yes

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
can we not have a sensible discussion about this? nobody has said we're doomed, shit, getting relegated or anything of the sort, but i think anyone who watched that game will tell you that we missed welbeck as an option and we don't really have anyone else to step in. he's not going to play 38 games this season, so it's an issue that needs solved.

Well said. The naysayers are pathetic

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I personally don’t believe that is what happened though.

I think Potter picked the team and tactical set up he felt gave us the best chance of a positive result. He has done this previously for specific matches successfully. Obviously, in this case it didn’t work, but I don’t think it’s because he is refusing to play Undav. I think it’s because Undav wasn’t right for this game and the system he intended to use.

He messed up

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Was it because Wellbeck was missing, or because only MacAllister had a decent game out of our starting 11?

Both

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Isn't this just pathetic? We've sold White, Bissouma, Cucurella and Maupay for a combined £140m, yes we have bought some players with that money (Pervis etc) however to go into another premier league season with just Welbeck (injury prone) and Undav (unproven) is just awful. We solely lost this game because of having no striker, it was obvious to everyone during the first half how poor we were. It's the same discussion every year, we weren't even that bad last night, just poor individual performances

Spot on and I see the head in the sand brigade are back in force

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Poor pace, passing and interplay compared with our other targets.

Hmmm. Is that right? Well why were we interested then? And why does he pay for Austria?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hmmm. Is that right? Well why were we interested then? And why does he pay for Austria?

What does playing for Austria have to do with anything?

Maybe Brighton should pay £15m for Bristol Citys Andreas Weimann then, plays for Austria so must be a world beater.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
What does playing for Austria have to do with anything?

Maybe Brighton should pay £15m for Bristol Citys Andreas Weimann then, plays for Austria so must be a world beater.

Austria are a pretty good (not great) European football team. Definitely relevant

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Spot on and I see the head in the sand brigade are back in force

Yep. We have our best ever manager, some fantastic players, a hugely profitable transfer window for the last 2/3 years however we are not filling the one position we need.

How much would Ivan Toney cost? He is exactly what we need. Strong, incredible finisher, fantastic link up play. Potter will just leave if we don't back him with a forward soon, going to South America for some cheap gems is fine but sometimes you just have to pay the money.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
With 3 strikers bought recently on loan in Europe, maybe one of them needs a recall in January.
Surely one of them must be capable of standing in for Welbeck, or why buy them.

Well, you would have thought so wouldn't you. But that is what Undav was all about wasn't it? I thought there was something a bit odd when we bought him in January and then loaned him back. This was at a time when Welbeck was injured/having a rest and Maupay was missing sitters. Now we have him and either he isn't fit or isn't up to it. Has to be one or the other or why start a game against a side that is defensively pretty weak, without a centre forward.

The false 9 works well when you have a front three all capable of rotating and sticking the ball in the net (see Salah, Firmino, Mane (now Diaz)). We don't have those type of players.

The age old problem still needs to be resolved or our lack of goalscoring prowess is going to cost us dear particularly after off-loading our top scorer for the past 3 seasons (for the pedants - joint last season!)

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, you would have thought so wouldn't you. But that is what Undav was all about wasn't it? I thought there was something a bit odd when we bought him in January and then loaned him back. This was at a time when Welbeck was injured/having a rest and Maupay was missing sitters. Now we have him and either he isn't fit or isn't up to it. Has to be one or the other or why start a game against a side that is defensively pretty weak, without a centre forward.

The false 9 works well when you have a front free all capable of rotating and sticking the ball in the net (see Salah, Firmino, Sane (now Diaz)). We don't have those type of players.

The age old problem still needs to be resolved or our lack of goalscoring prowess is going to cost us dear particularly after off-loading our top scorer for the past 3 seasons (for the pedants - joint last season!)

100%

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yep. We have our best ever manager, some fantastic players, a hugely profitable transfer window for the last 2/3 years however we are not filling the one position we need.

How much would Ivan Toney cost? He is exactly what we need. Strong, incredible finisher, fantastic link up play. Potter will just leave if we don't back him with a forward soon, going to South America for some cheap gems is fine but sometimes you just have to pay the money.

Ivan Toney to a rival, non-top 6 PL club, less than 48h before deadline... hmm, £70-80m maybe?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Ivan Toney to a rival, non-top 6 PL club, less than 48h before deadline... hmm, £70-80m maybe?

When we turned him down for 10 or was it 11!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here