Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Webster and Stephens

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Absolute rubbish. Duffy defended, his main job, far better than Webster ever has and Alzate is best coming off the bench. Our weaknesses to day were Mooy and Schelotto who were both awful.

Their goal was his fault, so that’s utter tosh.

And, unfortunately, football in the modern era demands defenders can go both ways. Duffy can’t. He proved that yesterday and he’s proved it in pretty much every performance this season. When he’s in the team we really struggle to create anything of note because he struggles with passing a football more than 5 yards and he doesn’t understand the concept of breaking the lines.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m slowly accepting we can play either Stephens. Or Propper. But never both. We effectively throw the towel in by playing two tortoise neither of whom can shoot let alone score. Like to see both gone by next season as I really cannot see how we go forward with these two brakes on and been saying that for 3 seasons now. Hence why I was so disappointed to see Propper get a new contract.
Propper drove the team forward at West Ham he was magnificent:shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Their goal was his fault, so that’s utter tosh.

And, unfortunately, football in the modern era demands defenders can go both ways. Duffy can’t. He proved that yesterday and he’s proved it in pretty much every performance this season. When he’s in the team we really struggle to create anything of note because he struggles with passing a football more than 5 yards and he doesn’t understand the concept of breaking the lines.

Very debatable. Hoe can you possibly not think Mooy giving away possession cheaply with no cover wasn’t the main issue?
60% Mooy IMO.

I don’t disagree re Duffy, but Webster is completely the opposite with limited defensive ability, and recently in possession has been as clumsy as Duffy.

All IMO.

Only Propper was okay yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Very debatable. Hoe can you possibly not think Mooy giving away possession cheaply with no cover wasn’t the main issue?
60% Mooy IMO.

I don’t disagree re Duffy, but Webster is completely the opposite with limited defensive ability, and recently in possession has been as clumsy as Duffy.

All IMO.

Only Propper was okay yesterday.

The guy runs from the half way line to the edge of the box with the ball. Propper had moved to give Mooy an option on the ball and Mooy made a mistake. That happens. Sometimes the ball turns over in midfield. But you don’t back off all the way to your own box without putting a tackle in and then let the guy come on to his stronger foot. I’ll give you 25% Mooy and 75% Duffy as a compromise.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The guy runs from the half way line to the edge of the box with the ball. Propper had moved to give Mooy an option on the ball and Mooy made a mistake. That happens. Sometimes the ball turns over in midfield. But you don’t back off all the way to your own box without putting a tackle in and then let the guy come on to his stronger foot. I’ll give you 25% Mooy and 75% Duffy as a compromise.

The wrong way around because if Mooy hadn't lost the ball initially Duffy would not have been called on for a tackle as we would have been on the attack.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

No because if you come out and commit to the hole (where Stephens would have been) your defensive shape is broken and even more exposed, the mistake Duffy made was backing off as deep as he did. Penalty area as a max for me.

Mooy has three touches and tried to force a pass that wasn’t on.

Sorry sticking with the 60% [emoji2]

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not just because no one else has suggested it, but because I have been thinking it for a while. The one combination I would ask G Pott to please stop, is playing Mooy and Gross in the same team. We have won games playing both, but increasingly the combination just does not add up.

Neither is blessed with pace. Mooy favours keeping the ball moving, even if it involves short carries. Gross looks to put his foot on it and or turn until the killer passing opportunity appears. Neither places a heavy emphasis on defensive duty.

A bit like watching LuaLua, Paddy McCourt and Gary Gardiner all standing outside the penalty box, pointing to their feet saying, give me the ball and you will see something marvelous, the rest of you go make a run, I might even pass to you. It just doesn't work. Both need a combination of quick skillful players and defensive grinders alongside them to make it work. One or other please. Maybe Mac will change the dynamics, I don't know, we have to hope.

Duffy V Webster - horses for courses, happy to go with the manager.
Stephens V anyone else anchoring our midfield, no one in our current squad comes close. Maybe Malumby can challenge next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here