Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is reminiscent of Nathan Jones telling Oscar, that Bridcutt's head wasn't in the right place. The only difference is that there was a firm bid in place for him.

I think fans forget players are people too.

But I think players forget (and we don't know the facts with Stephens), that they are employee's who are paid to do a job. If they fail to turn up to work they should expect to be disciplined.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He is gone. You can't blame him. Four times salary. But I wish he would stay....

He may be gone but he won't be on four times salary. We had a Burnley fan on here a week ago saying their ceiling is £35k. I don't know whether that's true but it certainly seems clear that they're not big payers. And I'm sure Stephens has been offered a decent increase on his new contract down here. I doubt if Burnley are offering three times the package on the table

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He may be gone but he won't be on four times salary. We had a Burnley fan on here a week ago saying their ceiling is £35k. I don't know whether that's true but it certainly seems clear that they're not big payers. And I'm sure Stephens has been offered a decent increase on his new contract down here. I doubt if Burnley are offering three times the package on the table

£25K a week with 40% relegation reduction = £15K next season. £12K plus 50% promotion bonuses = £18K.
Over two seasons the first would be £20K a week. The second could easily match that. Just need a £22 basic on promotion.

If he signs for a bigger club (who could pay more than Burnley) he might find himself on the bench or not even in the squad.

I do not know if these figures are accurate. It is not all roses with a lower PL club. If we were not likely to go up, jumping ship would seem probable. With promotion a possibility it is not such an inducement.

However, I would be tempted to defer signing a new contract if I was Dale Stephens. He is approaching a the peak of his career and wants to be playing at the highest standard possible at age 28+

PS: I'm not sure any of the Albion players are fit enough for Burnley and would need extra training ???

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Thought we really missed him today and think he's a lot harder to replace than some people suggest. I'd be absolutely delighted if he's still here next month.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Thought we really missed him today and think he's a lot harder to replace than some people suggest. I'd be absolutely delighted if he's still here next month.

I think we DID miss him, but I was pretty impressed by Norwood when he came on. He looks decent. If there's a bit of £7m+ for DS, I'd be tempted to take it. I'd be very sorry to see Dale go, but £7m is a lot of dosh.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
I think we DID miss him, but I was pretty impressed by Norwood when he came on. He looks decent. If there's a bit of £7m+ for DS, I'd be tempted to take it. I'd be very sorry to see Dale go, but £7m is a lot of dosh.
I suspect the bids made would have had stupid clauses like if we stay up you get another 2 million, it may be that Bloom would rather let his contract run down than accept a derisory upfront bid with impossible add ons.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Whys that. I think he will go on the last day of the window thus being here this time next week!

It doesn't matter what day it is he is gone. You won't see him in a Brighton shirt again. Really is that simple.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
well if he has refused to play then i hope he has been fined a shitload of money and not just a weeks wages. who is interested in buying him now? Burnley have surely lost interest now that they have bought Defour - where does he think he is going to go?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he is going we should insist that he makes a transfer request otherwise he gets a cut of the fee doesn't he? Or have I got that wrong?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here