Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Day Thread ***

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Indeed. Or any footballer, at any level, tbh.

You'll be pleased to hear though, that in this case, bensgrandad is going to give Stockdale 'the benefit of the doubt' whether he was to blame for the goal!

I have a vague recollection of a discussion on here last season or possibly the one before, where someone (I can't remember who) tried to argue that the goal keeper should stand behind the wall in case it goes through them, rather than accepting the traditional idea that the wall is set up to cover one half of the goal and the keeper guards the other side. If the wall does its job properly, it needs to be a great shot that earns a goal (because the keeper will still have a chance of covering a large part of the goal even behind the wall).

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I have a vague recollection of a discussion on here last season or possibly the one before, where someone (I can't remember who) tried to argue that the goal keeper should stand behind the wall in case it goes through them, rather than accepting the traditional idea that the wall is set up to cover one half of the goal and the keeper guards the other side. If the wall does its job properly, it needs to be a great shot that earns a goal (because the keeper will still have a chance of covering a large part of the goal even behind the wall).

Yep, Stockdale OUT

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Enjoyed the game and we played o.k...Only a matter of time before we start winning games regularly and Sami is doing a grand job regardless of results.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
there is no point having a feckin wall if they are going to shy away from the ball ffs. i mean i'll stand there and get footballs wellied at me all week for 10k.:cool:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
How the hell did that Watford player get away with blatently kicking out at one of our players yesterday?.Only got a yellow.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I do wonder if keepers would save more if there wasn't a wall.

How many goals go over the wall but at a saveable height/speed?

flying high

May 12, 2009
We were sat in a group of 6 including BG just as the kick was going to be taken and he said exactly where the kick was going to be put as he said there was a gap by that post. Perhaps he was guessing but if so it was a good guess.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We were sat in a group of 6 including BG just as the kick was going to be taken and he said exactly where the kick was going to be put as he said there was a gap by that post. Perhaps he was guessing but if so it was a good guess.

No, it wasn't a good guess. He meant that it was going in the corner - that there was a gap between the wall and the post - not that there was a gap IN the wall. If Ince had stood still, it would have hit him in the chest, and been considered a crap kick.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Should have wedged a copy of the Daily Mail in the gap then.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Was almost as unsighted as Stockdale as was still queuing to get a cup of tea at half-time in the stand directly opposite the Watford FC building site when that free kick went in - cue the tinpot drumming and mood music. What I loved was the hand-wringing, abuse and negativity of the Watford so-called fans towards their own team throughout the match as Brighton kept (and used) possession. The level of application, the skill levels and positivity on display and the much higher level of entertainment from Brighton is a step up from last year and will be fulfilled when eventually the missing piece of the jigsaw - someone on the end of those crosses and runs into the penalty box - fits into place. Hyppia, Bloom and Barber are no mugs; someone within the playing staff will hit form and step up to the plate - either that or the team will be augmented further. Away support was absolutely brilliant - had trouble keeping the smirk off my face and the pride in my (necessarily silent) voice as those late Brighton chances nearly came to fruition. McCourt's mazy run right at the end caused what appeared to be near cardiac arrest for some home supporters, who also couldn't understand why none of their players would close down the "winger" - Bruno, or tackle McCourt, who appeared to have the ball glued to his feet, once in possession. Teixeira, Bennett, Greer, Dunk, Bruno all performed very well - plus McCourt, Holla, and Lua Lua when they came on, the latter all making attacking contributions as the game opened up. Keeping Vydra largely under control away from home in this division is a feat not many teams will manage this term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here