Watford - an absolute joy to watch (and everything we aren't)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stumpy Tim

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't mind CMS missing chances. What I hate is the fact that he can't control a football - it's a huge problem with the way we play. Being a lone striker means you need to be able to hold up the ball and bring others in. Watfords third goal was a prime example of this, and I just don't see CMS having the skill to do what Deeney did in the build-up to that goal.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Its been said before, but I thought Watford were absolutely different class.

And sadly, they exposed our own "gameplan" for what it is. For the first time since Gus took over, I am starting to grow concerned that its the philosophy itself that MIGHT be the problem. Watford attacked with pace, verve, fantastic movement and real style. Unlike us, they were also lethal in front of goal. By comparison, our ponderous slow slow slow slow build-up makes us look like a team of 87 year olds who used to be good.

Having 60% possession is all well and good, but if you move the ball at the pace of a wounded tortoise then its frankly irrelevant. I'd love to see us playing the kind of football Watford played yesterday.
i think ur wrong i thought they were good but i wouldnt say they were absolutely different class

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Couldn't imagine CMS running through like Vidra did for their 3rd goal and a £2.5million striker should
That's the point, we have to imagine CMS doing that, and wonder if he would score.

It would be nice to see an attack broken up, couple of quick passes, an incisive through ball, the centre forward to running on to it, showing the leaden defenders a clean pair of heels.

That happens 3 times in a game or two and he misses get rid as quickly as possible.

But give him the bloody chance to miss before writing him off.

Broady

Apr 17, 2011
I can't see CMS instantly trapping it and feeding it off like their strikers to be honest. He might be able to run onto flick ons but their whole team were confident and the ball and moved it on so quickly that we couldn't handle their runs and movement.

We were completely outclassed and well beaten, even our goal which was probably a pen was a bit of a gift. Not sure if watford usually play 5 at the back but if Zola changed to that solely to play us then it was a master stroke. Gus will have learnt a lot yesterday I think. Bridcutt and Orland can hold the heads high but the rest need to pull their socks up.

Lamster please... Lol

Thought Hoskins was a decent effort last night. Great 1st touch and got the shot away..... Cms would have controlled it for a goal kick

Agree re Hoskins that was superb

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't mind CMS missing chances. What I hate is the fact that he can't control a football - it's a huge problem with the way we play. Being a lone striker means you need to be able to hold up the ball and bring others in. Watfords third goal was a prime example of this, and I just don't see CMS having the skill to do what Deeney did in the build-up to that goal.

You would think someone at the club may have noticed he couldn't do that before we signed him ?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
That's the point, we have to imagine CMS doing that, and wonder if he would score.

It would be nice to see an attack broken up, couple of quick passes, an incisive through ball, the centre forward to running on to it, showing the leaden defenders a clean pair of heels.

That happens 3 times in a game or two and he misses get rid as quickly as possible.

But give him the bloody chance to miss before writing him off.

You talk like you've never seen CMS miss a chance....do you actually go to games.....lol

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You talk like you've never seen CMS miss a chance....do you actually go to games.....lol
You're obviously missing all my posts that either reference the Peterborough game, or his shocking miss a couple of weeks ago, from KLL's cross.

I'm no argumentative blinkered tosser, well not in that order anyway :lol:, I do fully understand CMS' (or any striker on the planet's) ability to miss.
I just don't think scapegoating him, and bringing someone else in is the answer.
Not until the fundamental flaws in our attacking play is sorted out.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
You're obviously missing all my posts that either reference the Peterborough game, or his shocking miss a couple of weeks ago, from KLL's cross.

I'm no argumentative blinkered tosser, well not in that order anyway :lol:, I do fully understand CMS' (or any striker on the planet's) ability to miss.
I just don't think scapegoating him, and bringing someone else in is the answer.
Not until the fundamental flaws in our attacking play is sorted out.

I agree, scapegoating him is unfair to a point but from a players point of view it must be demoralising seeing him miss time after time, to a point where it may affect the rest of his team mates.

I'm not going to blame him for our current form, I just think he doesn't have the required quality we need/demand.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
They were a very composed and attractive side that moved the ball over the park in neat triangles. Really difficult to close down and had those spreading play and breaking through from midfield. I sought the return of Vicente and those runs from midfield that could split the defence and drag Watford about the place. His touch along with Orlandi's and Bruno's and Bridge's, and him playing behind the frontman, basically, in the hole, would have made something of a difference. Watford would still have been difficult to stop, but they'd know they'd have more of a game of elegance and slyness on their hands.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree, scapegoating him is unfair to a point but from a players point of view it must be demoralising seeing him miss time after time, to a point where it may affect the rest of his team mates.

I'm not going to blame him for our current form, I just think he doesn't have the required quality we need/demand.
That'll do, I reckon we are as close as we are going to get.

All that's left is, if CMS were ever to be in the position of Watford's third, you think he may well screw it up. I think he will score.

Shame we'll never find out!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
That'll do, I reckon we are as close as we are going to get.

All that's left is, if CMS were ever to be in the position of Watford's third, you think he may well screw it up. I think he will score.

Shame we'll never find out!

Well palace immediately springs to mind...... I know there's more but can't remember the oppo. I'm sure someone can list CMS's one on one misses.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Watford fans I spoke to thought we were a good side. Obviously their side was better and have improved immensely since we last played them.

First game in a while for our 1st choice full backs, Orlandi looking good just not fit enough, similar for KLL. Bridcutt immense. I'll save any panic until after january.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Were they any better than we were against Bolton earlier in the season? Granted they put the ball away better than us but the movement and passing up until the final shot was on par with what we have produced for the vast majority of the season.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Were they any better than we were against Bolton earlier in the season? Granted they put the ball away better than us but the movement and passing up until the final shot was on par with what we have produced for the vast majority of the season.

No place for such sane and reasoned comments on this forum. Best get your coat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports