Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford - an absolute joy to watch (and everything we aren't)

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Its been said before, but I thought Watford were absolutely different class.

And sadly, they exposed our own "gameplan" for what it is. For the first time since Gus took over, I am starting to grow concerned that its the philosophy itself that MIGHT be the problem. Watford attacked with pace, verve, fantastic movement and real style. Unlike us, they were also lethal in front of goal. By comparison, our ponderous slow slow slow slow build-up makes us look like a team of 87 year olds who used to be good.

Having 60% possession is all well and good, but if you move the ball at the pace of a wounded tortoise then its frankly irrelevant. I'd love to see us playing the kind of football Watford played yesterday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If Poyet picked up any fresh ideas on how to still play the ball on the ground AND attack with pace and purpose, then it might just have been a worthwhile exercise. He's still learning his trade remember, and will surely have learnt something from yesterday's game. It's maybe all good.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Agree.
Slightly jealous of their attacking play. They certainly attacked with pace...we used to play like that, not seen since Buckley and Noone were named in the team together.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
They made us look stupid last night. Utterly outclassed from start to finish.
The quality they have at their disposal is just plain silly for a Championship side; Vydra and Chalobah were particularly impressive. That Watford side last night was a side missing two quality players in Cassetti and Forestieri as well.
I would be shocked if they didn't get promotion to be honest. The way they have gone about it is all wrong, but they have the makings of a mid-table-top 10 Premier League side there.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Can I suggest that it was because the bulk of that team were bought up playing that way? They were ruthless.

However, if we had sat back and not touched the ball for the first 20 minutes like they did, this place would have exploded.

Ah well - we live and learn and it was a good lesson to Gus and the players. Let's hope that they learn from it.

watford

Dec 29, 2012
The way they have gone about it is all wrong, but they have the makings of a mid-table-top 10 Premier League side there.

Don't listen to the crap you read in the papers. The loanees are on a try-before-you-buy basis, and we will be signing at least 6 of them on a permanent basis in January. We aren't a Udinese/Granada feeder club, we just happen to be owned by the same Pozzo family as them. If the plan of getting to the Premier league happens, which club would be of more importance to the Pozzo's as a shop window for the talent they uncover worldwide - us or Udinese?
Also, our youth programme hasn't been sabotaged as some would have you believe. We just haven't gone for the expensive top tier option, as the PPPE scheme only exists to allow the Premier league teams to poach young talent for next to nothing.
We have been victims of some very lazy journalism - but I can assure you there is nothing underhand about the way we've conducted our business. At least not under the current regime...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've said it elsewhere, but if Watford had CMS last night, he would have ripped us apart.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I remember saying to a mate at the away game at Watford, that when all their loanees start to gel as a team, they're going to be pretty bloody good. Well, they have, and they are.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Very impressed with Watford yesterday, looked like a Prem team in the making.

Their fans were good value too; loud and vocal after the game without resorting to the homophobic rubbish and hoolie posturing we get most of the time.

Credit where it's due, that's a good point. I didn't hear any homophobic jeers all day and the Watford chants were mostly about their team and their signings. Good on them

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You're right. What Watford were really lacking yesterday was a headless chicken to miss an endless supply of piss-easy chances.

They missed at least 2 of those in the first half without CMS....with hardly any one else scoring his play is under the microscope even more so......(I'd replace him for Tuesday before u ask)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here