Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watchdog last night (pontins)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What a PR disaster, and great opening question. I'm not sure I'd describe my own holiday product as a 'township'. Clearly the wrong woman for the job. When presented with evidence like that, you have to apologise and compensate people, even if they are wrongly expecting the Ritz for rock-bottom prices, there is a basic standard.

One thing I would say about Watchdog, though, is that they are not always fair. You don't always get the opportunity, even on the show, to put your defence properly, it can be a witch-hunt.

While this woman was a nightmare, if it is true that the BBC were offered to have a look at refurbished appartments and decided not to show them as it didn't fit their story, that is poor journalism.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Does anyone actually agree Watchdog is good journalism?

I actually think it is rather poor as you only see and hear what they want to show you and as usual there are two sides to every story.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I actually think it is rather poor as you only see and hear what they want to show you and as usual there are two sides to every story.

Agreed. It is obvious in this story that Pontins have serious serious issues but what the dog lady who had just chewed a wasp was trying to say is they were trying and making (albeit not quickly) progress.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
While this woman was a nightmare, if it is true that the BBC were offered to have a look at refurbished appartments and decided not to show them as it didn't fit their story, that is poor journalism.
I don't think it is at all. It is not Watchdog's job to give Pontins some free advertising space. It is their job however to ensure that the hundreds of people who had complained about Pontins were given some answers as to why Pontins felt it was acceptable to put people up in utter shit pits.

The woman was indeed a nightmare, and should have taken the criticism on the chin and offered all those affected a free break in these refurbished units that the BBC didn't show, which is the sort of thing any sane and vaguely competent director would do in that situation.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
As Pontins are now part of the Britannia group, I am not suprised. I stayed at the Coventry Britannia a few years back and it was quite simply the worst and dirtiest hotel i have ever stayed in. When asked in the morning on checking out if i had enjoyed my stay, I then listed all my complaints, the receptionist listened and then said ' I know its shit here, trying to find another job' briliant........

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
Mrs Hut took the kids and her Mum to that one at Camber for £9.50 a few years back and when she got there said how horrible it was and I just said what do you expect for £9.50.

Actually what you expect for that £9.50 per person (min 4 people, bedding, electric and entertainment passes extra) is exactly the same as anyone else on the camp, which is exactly what you do get. We as a family have had some great Sun Holidays (mini breaks really) on some fabulous caravan sites. All the big firms use this to fill up empty space.

Pontins though is just shite full stop.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
How on earth did these palces pass any health inspection? they still do these, right?

Cannot beleive ANY firm would put customers (however chavvy they may be..) in such squalid rooms.

The price paid should not matter- I bet you would have been might peeved, if had paid full price..?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
26 weeks = half a year.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but I reckon they had done a fair amount of work in 182.5 days.
She briefly mentioned they had only been running it for 26 weeks, but it got lost in amongst all her ridiculous anger. I'm not quite sure how you can say they had done a fair amount of work in that time though. The first thing they should be doing is condemning anything that was beyond repair and spending extra money on a proper clean up job.

The fact that a broken plate had been tarmacced into the forecourt just about says it all about their attitutde to customer care at the moment.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sorry, meant the Romans would have made giant leaps in half a year.

Failure to meet basic hygiene standards 'despite' only running/owning the place for half a year is ridiculous. Surely the group knew what they were taking on and didn't decide to buy the chain on a whim. No excuses.

No wonder these sort of ventures fail so often and end up being passed around like Katie Price.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Her idea that we are working on it but in the meantime those that get the crappy chalets will have to lump it was appalling! She really didnt get the point that if a chalet is disgusting it shouldnt be sold to a family to stay in for a week!

'Township' brilliant! :lol:

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I had the misfortune to stay at Camber Sands once. Mrs KNC booked it, I should add.
I knew it was a mistake as soon as we drove in.
It looked like an audition for the Kyle show. It was the first time in years I had experienced 'sticky carpet syndrome' in the 'pub'
The only saving grace was that the 'room' had recently been decorated.
Even so, I couldn't wait to drive out again. We spent the next day driving around the Marshes, which was great. But I insisted we cut short the stay. Never again!!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Must watch the iplayer when I get the chance.

Went to a dance weekend at Camber Pontins back in June, and like people have said, the chalets are like a throw back to bad housing in the 60's/70's

Having said that, other than the beach, the rest of Camber Sands didn't look much better.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
That woman was a disaster whoever she worked for - but out of curiosity what would you have said in her place?

I think it would be better to have put out a statement saying you were dealing with it all than go on live with Anne Robinson - any company to think they could defend those reports.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Brittania having taken on a run down Pontins should have concentrated on bringing one camp up to a decent standard before allowing the other camps to be opened, to state that some of the cabins had been improved was no comfort to those who had stayed in the very poor rooms.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think it is at all. It is not Watchdog's job to give Pontins some free advertising space. It is their job however to ensure that the hundreds of people who had complained about Pontins were given some answers as to why Pontins felt it was acceptable to put people up in utter shit pits.

Yes, as others have already said. That's not the slant that was put on the story though, is it? The whole angle was the takeover, and the promised investment in the facilities. If there has in fact been some investment and the BBC chose not to show it, that is poor journalism. They could have dispensed with the takeover angle and just done another hatchet piece.

You also have to be realistic about what you're paying for. If the Ritz looked like that, it's a scandal. This is very cheap holiday accommodation. It's poor and worthy of a refund, but I think they over-egged it a bit.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
As Pontins are now part of the Britannia group, I am not suprised. I stayed at the Coventry Britannia a few years back and it was quite simply the worst and dirtiest hotel i have ever stayed in. When asked in the morning on checking out if i had enjoyed my stay, I then listed all my complaints, the receptionist listened and then said ' I know its shit here, trying to find another job' briliant........

Stayed in the Britannia Birmingham a few years ago - was booked in for the week for work and checked out after one night as it was so bad and got work to book me in somewhere else.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even with only having taken over the camp fairly recently one woul,d have expected them to have done an appraisal of the chalets and upgraded the worst and possibly offered those that didnt reach a certain standard at a reduced rate explaining the reason. Somebody would have seen it as a cheap holiday and booked the reduced rate rooms or chalets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here