Was I Naive Taking My Young Son in the Family Stand?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I am sorry to say that I was one of those who left 'early' last night before the second and third goals.

I did so with a heavy heart, but with a lot of common sense.

From Doncaster onwards, our family have used our season tickets to sit in the Family stand.

Both my children are young, but like any good father I am showing them the right way to grow up, and ensure they follow their local team, rather than a crew with Lancashire accents.

The point of this thread is to highlight the disgraceful behaviour of a fair few males between the ages of 25-35 who I have never seen in the family stand prior to last night's game.

Within the first minute of the game, some lout showed his education by shouting a string of abuse with such clarity!

The atmosphere was aggressive and unsavourary all evening.

Yes we cheered when CMS scored, and we were annoyed when Palace started their comeback, but in no way did I honestly expect the level of hatred and pure hostility on show in the 'Family' stand.

If this is the way the club wishes our younger fans to enjoy their football, then maybe I have been a little naive.

In all seriousness I would expect nothing else from the youngsters in the North Stand, as that is the correct place for such conduct, but in the family stand, you must be kidding?

After last night, in my opinion the whole family stand concept needs to be revisited by those in charge and quickly before it is too late.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Missed all of this.

The family stand last night where I was seemed to be on good form & good voice.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Were you around the E1D area? There was a chap near me kicking off at every decision, but it doesn't really matter where you go, people enjoy matches in different ways and part of a football education is learning that. It's not ideal for the kids to see, and it's important you make it clear that it's not pleasant to behave in that way. People will behave like that at football though, it's a passion filled environment, especially against Palace.

I know what you're saying, but I think you need to appreciate the fact that the East Stand is still the real world, designated Family Stand or not. It won't do your kid/s any harm at all to be around such a lout whilst they have their parents there with them. Just make sure that it's not the best way to behave and it's not a problem!

Albionroar

Sep 22, 2011
Dorset
Agrre with you libra-gully. I refuse to bring my kids to any game because of the language and in the case of last night, pure hatred. I want my boy to follow his local team but not to grow up with like the rest of the scum with 1 brain cell. My sister is a steward and there is supposed to be zero tolerance whether you are family stand or north stand. I didn't see anyone evicted last night. Needs to happen.

paul381

Apr 22, 2008
I am sorry to say that I was one of those who left 'early' last night before the second and third goals.

I did so with a heavy heart, but with a lot of common sense.

From Doncaster onwards, our family have used our season tickets to sit in the Family stand.

Both my children are young, but like any good father I am showing them the right way to grow up, and ensure they follow their local team, rather than a crew with Lancashire accents.

The point of this thread is to highlight the disgraceful behaviour of a fair few males between the ages of 25-35 who I have never seen in the family stand prior to last night's game.

Within the first minute of the game, some lout showed his education by shouting a string of abuse with such clarity!

The atmosphere was aggressive and unsavourary all evening.

Yes we cheered when CMS scored, and we were annoyed when Palace started their comeback, but in no way did I honestly expect the level of hatred and pure hostility on show in the 'Family' stand.

If this is the way the club wishes our younger fans to enjoy their football, then maybe I have been a little naive.

In all seriousness I would expect nothing else from the youngsters in the North Stand, as that is the correct place for such conduct, but in the family stand, you must be kidding?

After last night, in my opinion the whole family stand concept needs to be revisited by those in charge and quickly before it is too late.

Do you mean fans singing songs being passionate about their team and trying to get a atmosphere going if this is not your thing go home and watch the TV and that goes for all those who complain about the singing in all sections of the ground if you dont like it dont come we need supporters from all ages who are vocal and make some noise its not the theatre its a football stadium !!!!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I refuse to bring my kids to any game because of the language and in the case of last night, pure hatred. I want my boy to follow his local team but not to grow up with like the rest of the scum with 1 brain cell.
If you're half the parent you should be (and I assume you are) then it'll take more than foul language at a footy game to make your kids go off track.

My sister is a steward and there is supposed to be zero tolerance whether you are family stand or north stand.
Zero tolerance for what - what are we not supposed to do, swear?

Big Mart

Sep 12, 2010
Missed this also. Did notice lots of new faces though for this game in the family section.Stewards usually quick to deal with this so hopefully a one off. Don't let a few idiots put you off.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Agrre with you libra-gully. I refuse to bring my kids to any game because of the language and in the case of last night, pure hatred. I want my boy to follow his local team but not to grow up with like the rest of the scum with 1 brain cell. My sister is a steward and there is supposed to be zero tolerance whether you are family stand or north stand. I didn't see anyone evicted last night. Needs to happen.

in the family stand yes, north stand? violence cannot be tolerated, but if someone calls the referee a wanker in the heat of moment in the north stand should they be lobbed out?

if the answer is no where do you draw the line?
If the answer is yes will matchday become totally devoid of passion and like the cinema?

there is a line somewhere for sure but where is it?

Football is highly emotive and tribal and I agree with you about some of the thick idiots.

Maybe the club should try harder to get the more rowdy and effusive in one area of the ground so they can control it better, your kids should not be subjected to such outbursts for sure.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I understood the 'family stand' was set up to be seperate from the baying masses in other parts of the crowd.

I have no problem with industrial langauge after all we all have used at one time or another, I just don't think the family stand is the place. Any guest that we have taken along has been warned by me to observe their own langauge because of where we are seated.

Of course we were as frustrated as the next man when the talented young Palace guy scored, but I was horrorfied at the level of pure utter hatred and aggression shown by others around us.

There seemed to be a number of groups of men without any child in tow at all that seemed to be the worse offenders.

Even I felt intimidated at this point.

I tolerated a lot last night, none of which I expect to witness in the family stand. One doesn't go to any other family related area and experience such as rubbish.

Before someone comes back at me and says this is football get used to it, that is a ridiculous answer lampooned by a visit to Cardiff City at the start of this season. They seem to be blazing a trail for football peers to follow when considering their future fans. The family stand there makes ours an embarrassment.

Despite their previous reputation, Cardiff have addressed this problem head on. Now sadly we need to also.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Do you mean fans singing songs being passionate about their team and trying to get a atmosphere going if this is not your thing go home and watch the TV and that goes for all those who complain about the singing in all sections of the ground if you dont like it dont come we need supporters from all ages who are vocal and make some noise its not the theatre its a football stadium !!!!!!

With the greatest of respect, you missed my point by a country mile.

I have no problem with 'enthusiastic' support, in fact I am guilty of it myself in the past! But not racist and foul language in front of youngsters in the family stand.This is supposed to be a haven nurturing our fans of the future not knuckle draggers!!

Chris0979

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing, Sussex
I am not a STH but am a fan and get to the games I can work permitting!
I was in the West Lower for the Palace game and the atmosphere was great lots of chanting and the good use of swearing at the ref and the palace. The week before for the Liverpool game I was in the East Family Stand I made sure I watched my language the odd swear word came out but I was careful. I was under the illusion that in the family stand you couldn't swear or you should at least cut back on it!

I know swearing at a football match kind of goes hand in hand for most of us but in the family stand we should be more careful. Other clubs will take your ST away if you have 3 complaints against you!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The East Stand has dedicated blocks for families. If I am correct several blocks of seats towards the South Stand are for general matchday sales so making it completely free of bad language and pratting about is nigh on impossible. I first took my 2 kids to local away games when they were 5 and 6 and the bad language they heard was on par with what they were already hearing in the playground especially when they started saying "fook" with a northern accent.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
posts like this show what football has turned derbies into in 2011.

sad.

its a deep rivalry not a theatre.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I understood the 'family stand' was set up to be seperate from the baying masses in other parts of the crowd.

I have no problem with industrial langauge after all we all have used at one time or another, I just don't think the family stand is the place. Any guest that we have taken along has been warned by me to observe their own langauge because of where we are seated.

Of course we were as frustrated as the next man when the talented young Palace guy scored, but I was horrorfied at the level of pure utter hatred and aggression shown by others around us.

There seemed to be a number of groups of men without any child in tow at all that seemed to be the worse offenders.

Even I felt intimidated at this point.

I tolerated a lot last night, none of which I expect to witness in the family stand. One doesn't go to any other family related area and experience such as rubbish.

Before someone comes back at me and says this is football get used to it, that is a ridiculous answer lampooned by a visit to Cardiff City at the start of this season. They seem to be blazing a trail for football peers to follow when considering their future fans. The family stand there makes ours an embarrassment.

Despite their previous reputation, Cardiff have addressed this problem head on. Now sadly we need to also.

I'm about bang in the middle of the family stand, and not heard a single swear word this season yet, and I've not missed a game apart from P'Boro. The stand manager is always about, as are the stewards, and I would have had a word with them if I felt someone's behaviour was effecting the kids.

Have to say, around us everyone joins in the singing, and the kids love it. All the parents and children have started to get to know each other, and have to say my experience so far has been 100% positive. I didn't take my kids last night though, and I bet in some cases kids tickets have been upgraded to adult.

Shame that you had this experience, but there are enough stewards for you to have reported this, I agree you shouldn't have to put up with it in this section.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
if they (the club ) dont want rowdy fans in the family area they need to extend the north stand as for the last 3 games the only ticket i could get was family stand i would much rather be in the north where the noise is made

Seagull16

Sep 28, 2011
My dad never took me in the family stand and im pleased for that, i much prefer to be in the thick of it and thats how i think young fans should be, you dont get the passion in the family stand.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My young lad has watched the Albion from the Withdean south stand (deliberate my me as better view) throughout the Slade & Poyet times, and now WSU.

He's heard the full raft of swearing e.g. the referees' a w******, and Nigel Adkin, is a.... .

But I made it plain to him that he never repeats what he hears in any environment, and if does, he won't be allowed to go for awhile.
This has worked. He never swears.

As a kid, I heard all the songs in the chicken run & north stand, but never repeated them at home.

I don't think you can sanitise 21,000 people at a derby.

It's up to good strong parents to either not take kids, or just be firm with rules for them.

And then away from all these miserable debates, he's loved going to the Albion and loves the club. :smile:

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My dad never took me in the family stand and im pleased for that, i much prefer to be in the thick of it and thats how i think young fans should be, you dont get the passion in the family stand.

If your dad never took you in there, how do you know what the passion is like? All this 'our stand is better than your stand' is pathetic, what club has a set of fans that create a song for just one stand? Ridiculous, as is your statement.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
With the greatest of respect, you missed my point by a country mile.

I have no problem with 'enthusiastic' support, in fact I am guilty of it myself in the past! But not racist and foul language in front of youngsters in the family stand.This is supposed to be a haven nurturing our fans of the future not knuckle draggers!!

My answer to your initial question would sadly be a yes. I sit with a few mates and we all sit in the family stand with our kids and not one of us brought them last night. We all thought the aggressive atmosphere would not be a good one for the kids to experience but all saw it as a one off. First Palace game for a while was bound to attract that sort of toad. If it was racist language too though, easy to find the seat number and drop whoever gave him the seat right in it! The language at the footie generally is no different from any park or a playground so not really bothered as it's about educating your kids about it. It was just that agressive attitude you mentioned that put us all off and the late night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports