Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was I Naive Taking My Young Son in the Family Stand?

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have to take issue with that. We were told "zero tolerance" so that is what it means. You are right that there it always going to be something other than zero tolerance on Tuesday because of the below average number of kids in the stand, but if the club says "it's OK for Palace matches", then you do get people taking liberties.

Better to expect family stand behaviour from "guest" adults, but be a bit tolerant when they occasionally forget where they are. Similarly, these guests need to do a good job of remembering where they are sitting.

I did not say I agree with it Simster, it is just how it is. Everyone knew what the Palace game was going to be like, that's why I didn't take the lad. It would be a bit like taking your kids to the away leg at Selhurst and then complaining about the same up there. People asked on here if you should take kids before the game. The general idea was that it is not the brightest of things to do. It's OK though there are another 22 games in the season which will be nothing like that, to which we can take the kids.

Like I said, it is not right, but it's just the way it is, and personally I can live with that.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
E1D is not the family stand. Family is E1A, E1B and the northern half of E1C only
Thought it was the 'respect stand' though...?feel free to point out that its football culture to behave in a so-called passionate manner-just maybe some of us want to be and are able to be passionate about our support for the team,but in a way that means no-one gets hurt?the atmosphere in the respect stand has been pretty good-and allows for those who want to behave in a way befitting the club and the town in the 21st century.passionate,supportive,but (reasonably)grown-up and respectful of all-even palace!

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
As the OP for this thread, I have been heartened by most of the responses, but disappointed by a few who clearly are not parents!

At no point am I saying that the crowd should not sing or shout or encourage the team in any way. As one poster at least said, the East Stand is slowly becoming louder, and is beginning to rival the West stand for pure excitement and atmosphere.

To all of those who mentioned about their parents taking them into the chicken run or north stand, you are totally correct. As one of those too, I took my milk crate and stood up against the wall to see the game, and whilst there was exposed to all sorts.

The point is that the club has supposed to have 'moved on' since then. All this talk about aiming to be a premiership club is hogwash! They have purposely designated stands at The Theatre of Trees and now Falmer, to encourage 'families' to come along and support the Albion. My point is that they have said these areas are almost sacred in their behaviour.

Yes, by all means shout, scream, sing whatever, but there is no place in this stand for racism, foul language, inciteful gestures etc.

This is the first, and hopefully last time, that we experience this nonsense in the FAMILY stand.

What I find disappointing is that because we only had one somewhat overworked steward in the section, I understand the seat number of the culprit has now been given to the club, in an attempt to put a stop to such conduct. Two days later, the club have not replied.

For the time being, lets give them the benefit of saying they may have a lot to deal with right now, but I do hope this is not lost in the out tray somewhere!

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
an evening KO was too late for little Jack so it meant me going in the Family Stand on my own, however knowing full well I'd have a few beers and because I "hate" Palace I knew I'd get a bit over excited I moved seats, now i'm concerned reading this as tickets have fallen into, let's say, the wrong hands. What if 2 of them ended up in MY seat (that's what I call it) I could end up getting daggers next week if it's assumed 'i've passed that ticket on to some mates' luckily I did appear before KO just to say hello to some of the regulars so at least the two sets either side know I was there, however If I find the behavior in MY seat was unacceptable for the family stand I will be making a complaint.

Second point, swearing, (FAO EASY 10 for one) I am fully aware of the words Jack will pick up in the playground/street/off me etc, that is not the issue (my late mother was from Clydebank, they know how to swear, and so did I by the time I was 5, but most importantly I knew when NOT to swear from an early age as well) If I catch Jack using the F word when he's 8 that's one thing, if I catch him at Falmer at 8 jumping off his seat, clenching his fist,blood vessels about to burst, abusing the ref/fans/players every 12 seconds because he's seen in the Family Stand, i'm gonna have the 'ump

So you went in the family stand without a child?

So you went in the family stand without a child?

second line, I moved seats, I don't even fart out loud when i'm in the family stand. My point was, my two seats went on general sale as I transfered myself and upgraded the Mrs to the other end of the East, and reports on here quote 'erberts misbehaving in the FS, I hope it wasn't in MY seat as it could be assumed i'd simply passed my ticket on.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
second line, I moved seats, I don't even fart out loud when i'm in the family stand. My point was, my two seats went on general sale as I transfered myself and upgraded the Mrs to the other end of the East, and reports on here quote 'erberts misbehaving in the FS, I hope it wasn't in MY seat as it could be assumed i'd simply passed my ticket on.

If the seats were on general sale the club would know that it wasn't anything to do with you though.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
With the greatest of respect, you missed my point by a country mile.

I have no problem with 'enthusiastic' support, in fact I am guilty of it myself in the past! But not racist and foul language in front of youngsters in the family stand.This is supposed to be a haven nurturing our fans of the future not knuckle draggers!!

Racist language should not be tolerated in any stand end of. Swearing is and always has been part of football. But, it's a no no in the family stand. People really need to accept that families paid especially to sit there with their kids so as not to hear that sort of thing. I have to admit I do swear at football (and other places) But in front of kids, I don't. If a fellow supporter is in ear shot of my swearing, and asked me not to swear, I'd like to think I would respect their right not to hear it.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
What I find disappointing is that because we only had one somewhat overworked steward in the section, I understand the seat number of the culprit has now been given to the club, in an attempt to put a stop to such conduct. Two days later, the club have not replied.
Out of interest who did you report it to? Yesterday I emailed the club about an incident in the West Lower on Tuesday night and got a response in less than half an hour.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Do you mean fans singing songs being passionate about their team and trying to get a atmosphere going if this is not your thing go home and watch the TV and that goes for all those who complain about the singing in all sections of the ground if you dont like it dont come we need supporters from all ages who are vocal and make some noise its not the theatre its a football stadium !!!!!!

That is just a willful misinterpretation of the point the OP is making.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Jesus christ its FOOTBALL, not the bloody theatre. My dad used to take me on the old East terrace at the Goldstone and there was PLENTY of choice language all around us there, as well as the clearly audible 'foul-mouthed' songs and chanting from the North Stand. As a kid, I knew not to use the swear words as I'd get a clip round the ear.

Some people just want this game so damn sanitised, and then wonder why we sometimes struggle to get an atmosphere going. If your delicate child cannot be exposed to the HORROR of some swearing in a football ground, then either don't bring him, or plug him into a Jedward album on an iPod for the duration (which would be far more damaging in the long run in my opinion).

Obviously if there is some tool nearby unleashing a non-stop string of F's and C's for 90 minutes then have a word. But generally, I think if you take your kiddiwinks to a football match, its par for the course that they're going to hear some industrial language, regardless of where you sit.

Top bombing. 100% THIS

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Out of interest who did you report it to? Yesterday I emailed the club about an incident in the West Lower on Tuesday night and got a response in less than half an hour.

The matter was referred to Sally Townsend, PA To the Chief Exec. on Tuesday. Amazingly still no reply!

I have though ironically just received an email from the club on a mail out, telling me about the Family Festival of Football.

In the content there is reference to the Football League saying and I quote "Football is a family-friendly experience providing quality together-time in a safe environment." Urh, no!

This is why so many posters have said they purposely left their children behind at home as they 'expected trouble'. Lovely.

The email goes on to quote "It's a great chance for mums to get the family together and enjoy the atmosphere of a league match first hand this autumn."

And "League football is extremely accessible, offers good value for money and provides a place where families can enjoy each other's company as well as the action on the pitch. I encourage families to go along to their local game and enjoy some football together-time."

On reflection, the FL is trying very hard with this iniative. Can someone please tell them though that apparently this is not the case if we play certain teams!

I do find it sad though that fans had to leave their kids at home for fear of the trouble that materialised. Especially if, going by reputation, Leeds offered the more realistic chance of 'trouble'.

Just to make it very clear, I am not questioning the general banter and atmosphere found in every ground across the country. I am talking about very specific foul language, racist comments, and inciting gestures. These were so obvious that any close up using the in-house cameras will clearly confirm my 'report'.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
I took my 4 year old to the game on Tuesday (he's 5 in a couple of months) and we have season tickets in E1B (family). Yes we had a number of adult "guests" in seats which we've got used to seeing children in, and yes I heard a handful of swear words, but I kind of accepted that might be the case given the opposition (and indeed on the odd occasion at all games). What I found slightly disappointing was that a number of people around me joined in an abusive, and by that I mean one including swear words, chant. That to me was unacceptable but because 10 or so people were doing that I couldn't conceivably pull out a pen and paper and jot down seat numbers or give them a look. I just tried to distract my son's attention by talking loudly "at" him. But personally, that is something I don't expect to hear again.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The matter was referred to Sally Townsend, PA To the Chief Exec. on Tuesday. Amazingly still no reply!

I have though ironically just received an email from the club on a mail out, telling me about the Family Festival of Football.

In the content there is reference to the Football League saying and I quote "Football is a family-friendly experience providing quality together-time in a safe environment." Urh, no!

This is why so many posters have said they purposely left their children behind at home as they 'expected trouble'. Lovely.

The email goes on to quote "It's a great chance for mums to get the family together and enjoy the atmosphere of a league match first hand this autumn."

And "League football is extremely accessible, offers good value for money and provides a place where families can enjoy each other's company as well as the action on the pitch. I encourage families to go along to their local game and enjoy some football together-time."

On reflection, the FL is trying very hard with this iniative. Can someone please tell them though that apparently this is not the case if we play certain teams!

I do find it sad though that fans had to leave their kids at home for fear of the trouble that materialised. Especially if, going by reputation, Leeds offered the more realistic chance of 'trouble'.

Just to make it very clear, I am not questioning the general banter and atmosphere found in every ground across the country. I am talking about very specific foul language, racist comments, and inciting gestures. These were so obvious that any close up using the in-house cameras will clearly confirm my 'report'.
Try emailing richard.hebberd[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk. The bloke has had some stick on here in the past - including from me - but he gave me a swift and satisfactory answer on a similar matter

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
To read that so many supporters on here did NOT take their children of varying ages on Tuesday, makes a complete mockery of the Football League's Family Festival of Football, that encourages a "family friendly product".

If I was safe enough to take my children to see Liverpool and Leeds, why should I not be safe enough to see Palace?

If it was so predictable that trouble would occur, the club should have taken particular efforts to secure the values of the Family Stand that is within the Respect Stand.

Otherwise they are conceeding that the whole concept of the FS is nothing more than lip service.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You're totally missing the point here - there is a slight difference between "singing songs/being passionate about your team" and hurling a constant stream of foul language/gestures every other minute. We had season tickets in lower West stand and were surrounded by neanderthals whose vocabulary revolved around F, C & W words !!? Also racist at times. We reported this to stewards and to the club directly - never received a reply. So we've moved to East stand, South end, which is better but not without its problems.
totally agree that the club need to put more effort into concentrating the more "passionate" fans, as you put it, in one area.

But if you are who I think you are, even your work colleagues think you are a strange, sad nerd.

Sent from between Susannah Reid's thighs via Tapadream.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I am very sad to say that as I write, I have had no reply at all from either senior member of management (sally and Richard) that this matter was raised with.

Given the press release announcement of "the game passed off without too much trouble", and the comment on "Ask the club" by Insider that the club will not comment further on events on the night, a blatant attempt to move on and sweep issues like this under the carpet, as having publicity about adverse matters does not fit the new corporate image moving forward?

It doesn't help either that by upgrading a childs ticket to an adult ticket, the club benefitted by at least £15 per seat. With so many 'men' in the family area, also buying drinks that a child obviously wouldn't, the club did very nicely indeed from the situation. I would say that this also flies directly in the face of the football league's "family festival of football".

What other reason could there possibly be for not responding to such a serious issue a whole week down the line?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here