Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward Off to Burnley?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
You are possibly right, but I'm not going to condemn the club for trying to negotiate on a fee which for a player who isn't in the plans of his club and in last year of contract is very high

Condemn is a harsh word and ordinarily I would not be that disappointed, but if you look back at our history of signing players in the last 12 months, it's starting to show a pattern of behaviours when dealing with transfers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How do you know that?

Burnley may have offered Wolves a fee and started negotiations in May but Ward may have wanted to stay with the Albion.

When they (the Albion) did sod all until the last 3 weeks, Ward started speaking to other clubs thinking that we weren't going to put in an offer for him and so he is making sure he is at a club who wants him.

It's no good blaming the agent or the player in this. The lack of activity by the club here has been the reason why this has happened nothing else.

We're all very disappointed that we appear to have lost out on Ward, but how do you know the Albion did sod all until the last 3 weeks? You state it like it's a fact.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
How do you know that?

Burnley may have offered Wolves a fee and started negotiations in May but Ward may have wanted to stay with the Albion.

When they (the Albion) did sod all until the last 3 weeks, Ward started speaking to other clubs thinking that we weren't going to put in an offer for him and so he is making sure he is at a club who wants him.

It's no good blaming the agent or the player in this. The lack of activity by the club here has been the reason why this has happened nothing else.

You've missed the point in that we had everything agreed, and he seems to have reneged on the agreement - whether that's the player or the agent that is to blame I don't know, but to blame the club for doing everything they need to do in a transfer (agree fee, keep player happy, keep agent happy) is a bit peculiar. If we had haggled over the fee and not even spoken to the player then yes, it would be the club's fault.

Aug 23, 2011
It's been widely reported in the media, we all know this.

I don't blame Burnley, they are trying to build a team that can keep them up and if they believe Ward can help them do that then fine. I don't blame Ward, he has one decent move left in him and if it's a crack at PL again then that's understandable. It's BHAFC I blame. It's been months, messing about a quibbling over a few grand and now they've ended up with a bloody nose.

that doesn't make it correct just because its been bandied around. Journalists frequently pluck numbers out of the air to make it look like their articles have more credibility.

How do you know BHAFC were quibbling over a few grand, maybe he had unacceptable terms in his contract or perhaps his agent was stalling or many other things. Unless you were involved in the negotiations you don't know what went on so you can't blame one side or the other for it

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes it seems a lot, but then there may have been other PL clubs sniffing around? The 500k might put anyone else off. Burnley have the money now. It's only my opinion, but I believe BHAFC waited too long.

It could be the £500k includes a disputed loyalty/promotion bonus which Wolves didn't want to settle up on and any buyer would have to pay. Ward's agent knows that if we've moved the goalposts and agreed to pay him £13k a week he can use this as leverage to get a better offer from Burnley. At the end of the day any decent football agent will get the best they can for their client as the motivation is all about commission.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
This is all down to the agent.
I guarantee the moment we agreed a fee with Wolves and terms with Ward his agent would have notified all other interested parties with a "do you want counter offer or not?". He would have leaked the info of the deal and asked if they wanted to better it. Burnley have responded with a "yes".
That simple.
This would have happened whether we'd agreed those fee/terms yesterday or last month.
Agent is doing his job. (Where it is right etc is another question).
Average player is squeezing every last drop he can out of what will probably be his last big pay day. What league he plays in or whether he sits on the bench is probably very secondary in his decision making process. These people are coin operated, end of.

I think you are probably right.

Two things though -
1. Do you not think that Brighton are probably a bit too stubborn. Seems like we reveal to these agents what we are willing to pay and then religiously stick to our guns whilst we get picked off by other clubs?
2. Agents are not seemingly coming to us with similar 'heads up' about other players who are about to sign who we should be trying to gazump. Or if they are, I can't think of a time when we HAVE pinched someone from under the nose of another club. Is it possible that we simply don't have the necessary tight relationships with these agents that other clubs do have?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
This is all down to the agent.
I guarantee the moment we agreed a fee with Wolves and terms with Ward his agent would have notified all other interested parties with a "do you want counter offer or not?". He would have leaked the info of the deal and asked if they wanted to better it. Burnley have responded with a "yes".
That simple.
This would have happened whether we'd agreed those fee/terms yesterday or last month.
Agent is doing his job. (Where it is right etc is another question).
Average player is squeezing every last drop he can out of what will probably be his last big pay day. What league he plays in or whether he sits on the bench is probably very secondary in his decision making process. These people are coin operated, end of.

This very much seems the likely scenario. If a Premier League Club wants a guy we are not going to be able to compete.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We're all very disappointed that we appear to have lost out on Ward, but how do you know the Albion did sod all until the last 3 weeks? You state it like it's a fact.
Well we had June and July,half of May and two weeks into August...surely that's ample time to get your targets?:lolol:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

You are possibly right, but I'm not going to condemn the club for trying to negotiate on a fee which for a player who isn't in the plans of his club and in last year of contract is very high

I agree. This also highlights why the Club keeps so quiet on these dealings because nothing can be guaranteed, and Sammy Lee and now this are bitter experiences, that you hope we will be learning from in terms of our approach at the beginning of negotiations but even then we can never be sure, even if something has been initially signed! . The whole game is caught up this..Players wanting job security, and money which is so disproportionately higher in the PL : understandable, and Clubs, outside the very biggest, treading the line between financial survival and investment in the short term with players : also understandable in my opinion. Hence why so many deals are getting done later and later for Clubs who are in this hinterland. It is horrible from a fans perspective and very devisive. Everybody has their own interests to look after...If Ward and his agent gets a deal at Burnley, he will also be gambling that he gets games, and the Club stays up or he could be in another Wolves scenario. Coming to us is another gamble... he will get game time, but know but the Club is in transition and cant be sure which way it will go just yet... Man Utd -The biggest and at the time the most successful Club in the country had a well documented experience with this with a certain Paul Gascoigne..

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Well Jackett stated repeatedly there had been no approach.

Of course he may be lying but what's to gain? As soon as they go public any other suitors are alerted.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Jeez. Have a word with yourself... ???

Do you think this might be taking things a *bit* too far?

apologies if this was taken the wrong way... but isn't it being a bit pedantic for you to actual believe I want burke to kill himself over missing out on a transfer.

the post still stands though

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm bidding on a sofa on ebay at the moment. I really like it. It had a buy now option of £400. I want it and as a last resort I would have paid £400. However, I have started the bidding at £50 (buy it now option then disappears). So I am taking a risk as when it gets close to the end time I could be outbid at the last minute. However, I really want value for money so I will take the risk of losing out. If I do lose out then I shall probably regret not using the buy it now option of £400 but I do not have money to burn.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Of course he may be lying but what's to gain? As soon as they go public any other suitors are alerted.

I can see it working both ways. For instance, if they say "he's in negotiations with X" then other clubs may go "ah, well we'll go for someone else" whereas if they say "There's been no contact" clubs may go "Right, well that should be an easy one to get sorted!".

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I think you are probably right.

Two things though -
1. Do you not think that Brighton are probably a bit too stubborn. Seems like we reveal to these agents what we are willing to pay and then religiously stick to our guns whilst we get picked off by other clubs?
2. Agents are not seemingly coming to us with similar 'heads up' about other players who are about to sign who we should be trying to gazump. Or if they are, I can't think of a time when we HAVE pinched someone from under the nose of another club. Is it possible that we simply don't have the necessary tight relationships with these agents that other clubs do have?

We are probably not willing to pay the agents as big a cut as other clubs - word soon gets round; its just business after all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He was lying (allegedly)
30/6/14
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...en-ward-but-no-offers-for-wolves-kevin-doyle/

2/7/14
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...-ward-move-to-brighton-not-agreed_162883.html

11/7/14
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...and-stephen-ward-not-in-kenny-jacketts-plans/

6/8/14 He claims that Brighton haven't been in touch.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...kett-doubts-ward-move-to-brighton_169811.html

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It could be the £500k includes a disputed loyalty/promotion bonus which Wolves didn't want to settle up on and any buyer would have to pay. Ward's agent knows that if we've moved the goalposts and agreed to pay him £13k a week he can use this as leverage to get a better offer from Burnley. At the end of the day any decent football agent will get the best they can for their client as the motivation is all about commission.

Yep, I am sure this is exactly how it works, but our problem seems to be "moving the goalposts" at the wrong time. If we had done it earlier, say 2/3 weeks ago, and Burnley did the same thing, it would have been done and dusted and given us time to look elsewhere without any embarrassment. I feel that it is an advantage to put your cards on the table to get a definitive yes or no as soon as you can, give them 48 hours or something to decide, and then withdraw the offer if no action is taken, and look elsewhere.

I think we are getting a reputation for being predictable and easy to play against.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Those sources seem to be based on the situation yesterday afternoon; they don't seem to be aware of the Burnley move last night!

True. if you follow through the links to the BHA page then the latest does highlight the hijacking..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here