Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward Off to Burnley?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Quite. The issue here now is that we 'appear' to have caved in on both wages and transfer fee, which suggests that not only were we clearly never in the driving seat on this deal (although I think we all knew that) and trying to play too much hardball, but that secondly, even the club acknowledge this can't go on, we need players and sharpish.

Which will put a lot of teams on alert that we are desperate for players and make us pay over the odds. Whether this is the clubs fault or not, our hardball stance over it could well have massive consequences for upcoming deals.

Assume whatever you like .....

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The simple point is people, that if Bloom Burke and Barber had got this deal done at the earliest stage of negotiations with the 100k fee and 13k wages, then a desperate Burnley would not have gazumped us! Burnley have been looking for a left back and after being unsuccessful so far have turned to Ward only now. The thing is Brighton took too long, trying to knock down the terms. Now we've paid the price. Now in the next 2 weeks it's us that need to do some gazumping, with some clubs in the leagues below.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
50295468.jpg

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
There is one other part to this that everyone seems to be overlooking, and that's the fact that Ward and his agent had AGREED terms!
Yes Burnley can offer him more, yes Burnley can offer him premiership football, for one season anyway.

But I think its safe to say that he was happy with what Brighton were offering at the point that he AGREED terms. He has also stated that he enjoyed his time at Brighton and that he hoped to be back this season.

Well maybe he just wants to hear what Burnley have to say and will still sign for Brighton, probably not but maybe. Maybe he won't fancy being a back up left back in Burnley, maybe he'll think nah, I was happy at Brighton and really want to go back.

Or maybe he is just a mercenary arse like most footballers but that's not the clubs fault.
Brighton offered a deal that he was happy with, this is down to Ward, nobody else imo

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The simple point is people, is that if Bloom Burke and Barber had got this deal done at the earliest stage of the 100k fee and 13k wages, then a desperate Burnley would not have gazumped us! Burnley have been looking for a left back and after being unsuccessful so far have turned to Ward only now. The thing is Brighton took too long, trying to knock down the terms. Now we've paid the price. Now in the next 2 weeks it's us that need to do some gazumping, with some clubs in the leagues below.

I very much concur with this. I have been very supportive of the club in their attempt balance FFP with transfer dealings and quite understand our reluctance to chuck money around. However this deal seemed a low-risk no-brainer and our inability to get it done is likely to result in us paying even more for a LB now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why do Burnley suddenly need a left back ?

We don't, which is a tad puzzling.

Unless Dyche thinks that Lafferty is not up to being a Premier League back up left back.

The simple point is people, that if Bloom Burke and Barber had got this deal done at the earliest stage of negotiations with the 100k fee and 13k wages, then a desperate Burnley would not have gazumped us! Burnley have been looking for a left back and after being unsuccessful so far have turned to Ward only now. The thing is Brighton took too long, trying to knock down the terms. Now we've paid the price. Now in the next 2 weeks it's us that need to do some gazumping, with some clubs in the leagues below.

It doesn't seem that Burnley are desperate. They already had a left back in the team when they won promotion. I still wonder if this is a bidding war, but then we don't seem to win those either.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Incredible that you know the exact fee and salary of a player? Are you his agent?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Incredible that you know the exact fee and salary of a player? Are you his agent?

It's been widely reported in the media, we all know this.

I don't blame Burnley, they are trying to build a team that can keep them up and if they believe Ward can help them do that then fine. I don't blame Ward, he has one decent move left in him and if it's a crack at PL again then that's understandable. It's BHAFC I blame. It's been months, messing about a quibbling over a few grand and now they've ended up with a bloody nose.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
It's been widely reported in the media, we all know this.

I don't blame Burnley, they are trying to build a team that can keep them up and if they believe Ward can help them do that then fine. I don't blame Ward, he has one decent move left in him and if it's a crack at PL again then that's understandable. It's BHAFC I blame. It's been months, messing about a quibbling over a few grand and now they've ended up with a bloody nose.

So why is the reported fee £500k then ?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This is all down to the agent.
I guarantee the moment we agreed a fee with Wolves and terms with Ward his agent would have notified all other interested parties with a "do you want counter offer or not?". He would have leaked the info of the deal and asked if they wanted to better it. Burnley have responded with a "yes".
That simple.
This would have happened whether we'd agreed those fee/terms yesterday or last month.
Agent is doing his job. (Where it is right etc is another question).
Average player is squeezing every last drop he can out of what will probably be his last big pay day. What league he plays in or whether he sits on the bench is probably very secondary in his decision making process. These people are coin operated, end of.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I guarantee the moment we agreed a fee with Wolves and terms with Ward his agent would have notified all other interested parties with a "do you want counter offer or not?". He would have leaked the info of the deal and asked if they wanted to better it. Burnley have responded with a "yes".
That simple.
This would have happened whether we'd agreed those fee/terms yesterday or last month.
Average player is squeezing every last drop he can out of what will probably be his last big pay day. What league he plays in or whether he sits on the bench is probably very secondary in his decision making process. These people are coin operated, end of.

Great post. Why people are blaming the club here is beyond me. We've been played a number of times now, but you've got to enter into these deals in the hope that we won't!!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
However this deal seemed a low-risk no-brainer and our inability to get it done is likely to result in us paying even more for a LB now.

Maybe not, I would anticipate another loan now rather than the permanent replacement I assume they've given up on as a Buckley & Ulloa replacement must be the priority (along with the other 5 players we need).

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
That simple.

How do you know that?

Burnley may have offered Wolves a fee and started negotiations in May but Ward may have wanted to stay with the Albion.

When they (the Albion) did sod all until the last 3 weeks, Ward started speaking to other clubs thinking that we weren't going to put in an offer for him and so he is making sure he is at a club who wants him.

It's no good blaming the agent or the player in this. The lack of activity by the club here has been the reason why this has happened nothing else.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Yes it seems a lot, but then there may have been other PL clubs sniffing around? The 500k might put anyone else off. Burnley have the money now. It's only my opinion, but I believe BHAFC waited too long.

You are possibly right, but I'm not going to condemn the club for trying to negotiate on a fee which for a player who isn't in the plans of his club and in last year of contract is very high

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here