Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward Off to Burnley?

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Didn't they say when he signed he won't be playing tonight as he was gonna play for their development squad yesterday

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably on 5k a week extra....he chose the best option.

He did, but the pay difference would be greater than that.
Average Championship pay £8k per week, before FFP kicked in.

Average PL pay (prior to the recent massively increased TV deal) was already £31k per week, and that average includes all squad players who barely get a kick.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Ward has played precisely zero minutes of top flight football for the Premier League's bottom side. I guess he's the kind of player happy to sit on the bench as long as he's picking up a big pay cheque.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He apparently went to Burnley for £5k per week more than he was on at Wolves. Burnley doubled every players wage in the Prem with a clause that it reverts back if they are relegated so for 1 season Barnes is on about £15k and Ward about £18k.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ward has played precisely zero minutes of top flight football for the Premier League's bottom side. I guess he's the kind of player happy to sit on the bench as long as he's picking up a big pay cheque.
The exact opposite of the impression he gave us.

Absolutely can't blame him, but I do think at the very least he'd have had a few assists already this season, in a team built for his style of play.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He apparently went to Burnley for £5k per week more than he was on at Wolves. Burnley doubled every players wage in the Prem with a clause that it reverts back if they are relegated so for 1 season Barnes is on about £15k and Ward about £18k.

But Burnley will, of course, get to pocket parachute payments when they go down...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Bloody heck, they told you that? You must be well in with the old players :bowdown:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I can't help thinking that although he may now have an ever expanding bank balance, that having signed a three year contract at the age of 29, he might, as a non participating player consider he has virtually "hung up his boots".
His high salary make the chances of his going out on loan prohibitive. Unless of course Burnley would follow Wolves in subsidising the loan. Which make purchasing him in the first place a tad bizarre. Also to consider, is what of his international future now that he doesn't get a game....all a bit strange to me. ??? But is he happy? He looked thoroughly pizzed off in the dug out last night.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Generous given the £100m extra they are picking up!!! Clearly they haven't spent anything like enough if they are getting mullered by a relegation contender

Following the Blackpool model maybe?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have not other clubs done the same got promoted then relegated with the payments then got promoted again in a better financial position to consolidate in the Premier. WBA springs to mind possibly CPFC.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

To be honest, sitting on the bench is probably the best place to be for a defender while your team mates are losing 4-0 to West Bromwich Albion.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Would your prefer one year of your life playing every Saturday for £10,000 a week, or one year of your life sitting on the bench every Saturday earning £30,000 per week, and in the process earning more than a million pounds more over the space of that year?

Note: These numbers are purely arbitrary.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Have not other clubs done the same got promoted then relegated with the payments then got promoted again in a better financial position to consolidate in the Premier. WBA springs to mind possibly CPFC.

To a degree yes but Burnley have spent hardly a penny of that money.

Looking at that team yesterday I could only name Jutkiewicz, and Boyd as new players (+ Chalobah on loan). They cost less than £5m otherwise it's a Championship side, which is what those three are anyway! Can't see they have any real ambition as a club other than similar to that of Blackpool, albeit slightly less obvious

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here