• Total voters

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One mistake eh.
Shall we have him shot.
Funk me:-(

ONE mistake????, if only!!!!! Stockdale has made many errors this season, and because of them we have dropped vital points. In fact l think he has made more mistakes so far this season, than Tomas Kuszczak did in three years with the Albion.

Christian Walton MUST be given his chance on Tuesday.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I really want Stockdale to be successful but Walton looks a real talent and I would play him. Play Walton for 3 games and see how he goes

We've done that & he did well at Spurs & in the final two, both league games, he let in 0 & 1 and we had a win and a draw.
That was enough for Mr Pathetic to drop him. The only manager in our clubs history of 113 years to drop a drop a keeper who has never lost a league game.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The fact that you say "turd keeper" shows what a great fan you are.

As for being in a minority, I think I'm probably in the majority of fans who don't over react to one mistake and post abuse at him on a forum. This is a very small cross section of people who mainly have an axe to grind. I'm trying to give some perspective but as it's clearly not working there probably is no point.

It's my opinion that he's turd. I didn't realise you had to be blinkered. Does it make me an even worse fan that I thought Obika was completely useless at this level?

As for minority, check the poll results.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's my opinion that he's turd. I didn't realise you had to be blinkered. Does it make me an even worse fan that I thought Obika was completely useless at this level?

Funny how fickle Brighton fans are. Only a couple of weeks ago people were queuing up to praise Stockdale and apologise for their hasty early season assessment: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?316697-David-Stockdale&highlight=Stockdale+an+apology
I personally think he's a decent keeper who is getting better but who is still prone to too many errors.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Keep him in. First goal he was at fault, but not the second or third.
Second, the wall didn't do its job, he was unsighted and somebody should have got in the way, and the third he was left exposed by poor defending, facing a guy at practically point blank range.

Walton will get his chance but Cardiff away when we urgently need at least a point is not it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd give Walton a game, didn't he get MOM in one game and play well in the others? He was unlucky to be dropped and Stockdale cost us the game yesterday and can have no complaints if he is dropped.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This week, last week, Kenwyne Jones and any other of the five apologies he personally made on Twitter in the first 3 months of the season. Forget the last 3 months, he's performance over the season is not good enough for the Championship. It's not about being anti Stockdale or anyone else for that matter, it's a discussion about who is and isn't performing and he isn't.
So you choose to only remember the rubbish, ignore the quality, and from that standpoint you've decided he's rubbish.
Brilliant.

I really want Stockdale to be successful but Walton looks a real talent and I would play him. Play Walton for 3 games and see how he goes

Stockdale deserves to be dropped, Walton deserves a chance.

If Walton doesn't have a great game, then Stockdale should return to the side.

Repeat until we have a keeper who is on form. Simple.
I'd be more than happy with the change, just so long as it's not the only one.

I don't see the point of throwing Walton to the Greer fed wolves.
We've started to defend like a team that couldn't keep a clean sheet with Stockdale AND Walton in goal.

The goal scorers need to score and the defenders need to defend.
Stockdale had earned his place, he should keep it, but not indefinitely.

Everyone else needs to raise their game and then if DS can't, Walton can come into a side that isn't going to treat him like a pheasant at Sandringham.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
ONE mistake????, if only!!!!! Stockdale has made many errors this season, and because of them we have dropped vital points. In fact l think he has made more mistakes so far this season, than Tomas Kuszczak did in three years with the Albion.

Christian Walton MUST be given his chance on Tuesday.

I've given up arguing with the mob who want to lynch Stockdale. As someone else said, if he plays and keeps a clean sheet on Tuesday, you'll all change your mind.

However, at least get your facts right, Kuszczak was only here for two years, not three.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Sorry, I didn't realise that we only had 175 fans and they'd all voted in those polls. Also, as with managers, those polls are a farce as people are pissed off after the game and more likely to want to sack the manager, drop a player etc. I imagine it would be different if the poll was run on Monday morning.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For the first Forest goal, nobody seems bothered that Collins was given a completely free header from 8 yards.

Having set off, Stockdale should have kept coming, but I don't think he'd have got there. Had he stayed on his line, and dived for it, it would have LOOKED better, but he still wouldn't have saved it. The ball went in off the post. No keeper was saving it.

There were some guys near me who were irate with stockdale. One of their gems was "the defence dealt with it, why did he come?" Which confused me as I thought if the defence had it covered how could a shot come in?

I would probably need to watch it again, but I thought the shot was entirely saveable if he had stayed on his line. I don't remember it being a bullet header, I remember it as a soft looping one that was coming at such a pace any keeper would have had time to get across and cover it.

To the thread's question, I would be very surprised to see stockdale dropped. Maybe he could have done better with the Blackpool goal, maybe the wind fooled him, but a manager will only drop a goalkeeper after one or two big errors if he is looking for an excuse to drop him. It does more harm, not just to the keeper that is dropped, but the entire squad, if they see one major mistake after a run of at least decent performances leads to you getting dropped. It makes everyone nervy, on edge, they play it safe and never achieve anything.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sorry, I didn't realise that we only had 175 fans and they'd all voted in those polls. Also, as with managers, those polls are a farce as people are pissed off after the game and more likely to want to sack the manager, drop a player etc. I imagine it would be different if the poll was run on Monday morning.
It's known as a cross section.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

A cross section would be a sample that has the same spread/variety as the whole in the same ratio, I'm not convinced nsc has the same spread as the whole, and certainly not in the same ratio.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A cross section would be a sample that has the same spread/variety as the whole in the same ratio, I'm not convinced nsc has the same spread as the whole, and certainly not in the same ratio.
I think NSC would obviously have a greater proportion of fans that are season ticket holders and go to away games. This doesn't necessarily make their opinion more valid than a casual fan or neutral, but it certainly doesn't make it less valid.

It's not just the usual suspects either that love a good moan at any chance either.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

If you seriously think NSC is a cross section of Brighton supporters, then you're deluded. Most Brighton fans I know regard NSC as full of over reactionary rubbish, like the Stockdale threads. It mainly attracts supporters with an axe to grind so as a fair cross section of our fans, I would say it is ineffective.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you seriously think NSC is a cross section of Brighton supporters, then you're deluded. Most Brighton fans I know regard NSC as full of over reactionary rubbish, like the Stockdale threads. It mainly attracts supporters with an axe to grind so as a fair cross section of our fans, I would say it is ineffective.

I know of many supporters who read NSC but .wont post for fear of getting labeled into a group of pro or anti.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know of many supporters who read NSC but .wont post for fear of getting labeled into a group of pro or anti.
So you know a lot of people who don't have the courage of their convictions, that's a shame.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think NSC would obviously have a greater proportion of fans that are season ticket holders and go to away games. This doesn't necessarily make their opinion more valid than a casual fan or neutral, but it certainly doesn't make it less valid.

It's not just the usual suspects either that love a good moan at any chance either.

It doesn't make the opinion less valid, but it does make it less representative of the whole fan base.

A poll that runs at 75% among die hard season ticket holders who go to as many away games as they can, might only run at 20%* if you included all the fans. Doesn't mean the 20% are some how wrong now that they are in the minority, just that the 75% on here don't represent 75% of the entire fan base, which I think was the point that Finchley was trying to make.

(*arbitrary number to illustrate point, may not be accurate)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So you know a lot of people who don't have the courage of their convictions, that's a shame.

Or people who can't be bothered to get involved in discussions that quickly lose all nuance, become binary, and whose opposite sides cause each other to devolve into extreme positions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here