Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vydra - Forest and other Championship Clubs

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
To be honest there is very little significance in the betting market as it's only Chandler offering prices and they won't take more than a token bet on these markets. It's just mildly interesting that we have appeared in the betting as favourites and the teams more widely linked previously are bigger prices. There may be nothing in it but I really hope not. IF he is available then it would seem to be the proverbial no brainer that we'd be interested.

Looks like 12s initially (thurs), backed in from Nevis to Earhole yesterday.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Where has this come from apart from people on NSC saying they would like him I've seen no reports linking us. Not even a mention of us on the watfords forum.

Today he has been linked via a twitter account, Transfer Centre Live.

Transfer Centre Live ‏@TransferCentreL 28m28 minutes ago
Brighton are leading a host of Championship clubs in the race to sign Watford striker Matej Vydra.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Today he has been linked via a twitter account, Transfer Centre Live.

Transfer Centre Live ‏@TransferCentreL 28m28 minutes ago
Brighton are leading a host of Championship clubs in the race to sign Watford striker Matej Vydra.

If this came off it would be a tremendous boost to our season.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Greaves was injured wasn't he?

Greaves had a gashed leg received against the French;

(Before the Argentina match) "This may have been in the back of Alf's mind when he told me I would be in the side against Argentina because Jimmy's gashed leg wouldn't heal in time. It was desperately bad news for Jim but when I telephoned Judith with the news I couldn't conceal my delight." Geoff Hurst, 1966 and all that. (great biography of a great player).
"I think most of my team-mates that day (the day of the final) believed that I was the player most likely to be left out if Jimmy Greaves recovered from the gashed shin he received against the French..... Alan (Ball) thinks that had Jim played, Alf would have reverted to a 4-3-3 formation to confuse the Germans."

:facepalm: With that lump of shit gone and CMS off to chase a stick in Luton (plus the other releases) we've saved ourselves around £100k pw already this summer.
No knowledge to back it up, but imagine we still have around £30k pw to play with and that's not accounting for the increase in budget this season.

Does put people like Vydra (who, even with a promotion increase, won't be on more than £20k) within range.

Assume you're just talking about direct "savings" on salaries/wages here?
If so, the £100k per week figure equates to £5.2m annually, but nearer £6.2m when you add on employers NI @13.8% and a small allowance for statutory pension contributions.
In 2013/14 BHA had 243 full-time, 524 (on average) part-time employees and a total wage bill including employers NI and pension costs of £20.3m. Apart from what's in the public domain I know nothing but to speculate that the base salary costs of CMS, Kemy and a few "minor" players comprise 31% of the total BHA salary bill seems a bit fanciful at best.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Would be amazed (but obviously delighted) if we got Vydra. Find it hard to believe but having had a good start to the season, I suppose we've got a bit more chance than a month ago.

albionite

May 20, 2009
There have been rumours that we are going to go big on a striker, no idea if it's BG starting these, but if any truth would much rather it be this guy than gayle.

We can finally mix it up with more counter attacking play. Here's dreaming.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
If so, the £100k per week figure equates to £5.2m annually, but nearer £6.2m when you add on employers NI @13.8% and a small allowance for statutory pension contributions.
In 2013/14 BHA had 243 full-time, 524 (on average) part-time employees and a total wage bill including employers NI and pension costs of £20.3m. Apart from what's in the public domain I know nothing but to speculate that the base salary costs of CMS, Kemy and a few "minor" players comprise 31% of the total BHA salary bill seems a bit fanciful at best.
Damn you, with your FACTS and your LOGIC and your FANCY DAN mathematics. I heard CMS was on FORTY GRAND a week. Too much for a LABRADOR if you ASK me.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
i would be in dream land if this comes off

me to, just reading an article from today in Nottingham post that says Hull are also interested,

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Wicked-Whispers-Hull-City-interested-Nottingham/story-27672179-detail/story.html

however on reading article, it looks like Hull are also interested in loan, Forest can't buy and can only loan due embargo and Watford would likely prefer to sell than loan him.

so if we are interested in actually buying we may well be at the head of queue??

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
me to, just reading an article from today in Nottingham post that says Hull are also interested,

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Wicked-Whispers-Hull-City-interested-Nottingham/story-27672179-detail/story.html

however on reading article, it looks like Hull are also interested in loan, Forest can't buy and can only loan due embargo and Watford would much prefer to sell than loan him.

so if we are interested in actually buying we may well be at the head of queue??

I must have missed some crucial info How do we know that they want to sell him? Didn't they only just make him a permanent signing this summer?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I must have missed some crucial info How do we know that they want to sell him? Didn't they only just make him a permanent signing this summer?

we don't, but Bruce says he's not sure if he'll actually come up for loan (paper talk), freedman says Watford want to sell.... and watford remain PC and say we haven't decided. who knows the reality, but if, as Bruces and freedmans comments suggest Watford may prefer to sell than loan, if we're willing to buy, at minimum, Forest is out of that equation and possibly Hull to. Of course he may or may not be sold, he may or may not be loaned and it would still be a massive coup if he ended up here by however means.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

You're a season behind with your figures. And besides, how much do you think receptionists/club shop staff/stewards etc account for that? Not much.
Probably 70% of our wage bill will be on players. CMS and Kemy comprised roughly £32k a week. Aaron Hughes, recruited from the Premier League, was on plenty too.
We were paying the full wages of: Joe Bennett, Gary Gardner and Greg Halford. A portion of:Elliott Bennett, Darren Bent, Joao Texiera's wages and a chunk of Leon Best's HUMUNGOUS salary.
The released players will comprise around 40% of the (considerably higher) 2014/15 wage budget.
Not that fanciful.

Last edited:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
PVydra was superb when he played for Watford at the Amex.Gayle has never impressed me although I have not seen him live. You can miss a lot on the TV.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here