Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Views from the Reading end......

Sussex

MDAL
Apr 14, 2011
Lot of Albion fans talking claptrap on here about Reading. Sure they haven`t always had a nice ground with decent attendances but they have grown over the years and spent a fair few years in the top flight. They look to have been a well run club that have invested a lot into attracting young support. That makes them a noddy club does it ?
Times change....... thats what we`ve been saying isn`t it ?

Good post
I fully agree some have short memories and are being a bit harsh???

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This was my fravourite comment and what the Amex is all about for me.

''ice ground where the needs of the fan has been put first (well, apart from the travel). Lots of nice touches like the decent beer and train times displayed after the game, and fans are encouraged to mingle. Friendly home fans and excellent stewards, it's as if they see you as humans rather than animals. Stadium blends in well with the surroundings and has a surprisingly good atmosphere for a new ground.''

They seem to like the pies too :D If your a Reading fan and liked the pies Vote for us on FB nearly overtaking Arsenal now.

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Nice top see that ..thnx for posting

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
Can't help but laugh at the suggestion that we've been lucky this season. It takes more than luck to get a squad like ours on such a good run of form...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Some people are so full of shit on here. Arrogant tossers.

Yep.... since when did we begin to behave like Arsenal Liverpool or Manure fans looking down on others from our 'lofty' heights (haha!!). Is this what we fought for the last sixteen years... to become arses like them?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Facts are not correct there either, friend.

Worst ever season for RFC was 1971/72 when we finished 16th in old 4th Division. Second/third worst ever were two 8th place finishes in 4th division. The only other five finishes in bottom tier in our entire history have been: 7th, 6th, 7th, 3rd, 1st and 3rd. Hardly a bottom tier club. And since the re-structuring we've never been in 'League Two'.

So 'still' is proved to be totally incorrect!!

I remember Pat Terry......Mr 100% effort.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
You mean two years in the top light:) I agree it's not a crime to grow as a club and they,ve done well.Our history and attendances are far superior and with our ground expanding I don't ever see them competing with us.Reading usually start getting crowds of 16k+ for the first 5/6 months of the season and then upto 24k if in the promotion race,very fickle support,they do get big away followings coming to the mad like 4k's and 3k's which helps.My mate just brought a season ticket for £380 which is awesome as they will be in the prem,our cheapest in the championship is more than that.

Sorry to nit pick but how is our history far superior? We arent exactly Leeds or Nottingham Forest

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
I really have to laugh at people belittling other clubs. If people actually chose the club they support - based on all the criteria like history, attendances, honours won, etc that some people see as so important - then no-one would support any club outside the top 5 in the Prem.

Rejoice in that fact that people do support "smaller" or "less historically significant" teams instead of following the team they've chosen to support via Sky TV on Sunday afternoons only.

i don't know about you, but I didn't choose my team - it choose me, by being where I live. And I support it, warts and all, regardless of size or history.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
One thing that struck me a few times during Tuesday, we are very similiar clubs with a very similar fanbase. During "Fanzone" before the game lots of Reading fans were joining in (do they have something similar?) not the usual cynicsm from away supporters (its not proper foootball etc!!) We both experienced huge increase in crowds when moving to a new stadium, we both are in provincial Citys of similar size and we have a similar history of league positions. The only time I had a problem with Reading was during the 2001-2 season when we were promotion rivals. Good luck to them good team who deserve to go up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Only during the good times-like every club in the land.

Elm Park was a dump, as was The Goldstone for its last 20 years-attendences reflect that. People don't go to dumps of grounds unless the product is there. Our away support reasonable? It hasn't always been that way has it?

There are only a few clubs who have always had ongoing good support over the years, regardless of which division they were in. The rest all seem to struggle to maintain paid support when not doing well. Football fans everywhere are fickle-we're no different.
You are absolutely spot on in your posts on this thread. Historically, we are only a slightly bigger club than Reading - [MENTION=119]The Laughing Bluebird[/MENTION] came on here with attendances stats for the past 50 years to prove the point and our away support has been complete wank at times (prior to the mid 90s). And Reading's away support really isn't as terrible as some on here are making out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We have far more in common with Reading than we do with Millwall or Portsmouth, and that is a good thing. Let Millwall fans bleat on about "football RIP". That's why their noddy club gets 10,000 gates and ours and Reading's are already twice that. Football in this decade has as much relevance to the 80s as 80s football had to football in the 1950s. Times have changed and some clubs are being left behind. Luckily we're not one of them (and nor are Reading)

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
On the whole the Royals fans I spoke to after the game were very honest about how well we had played and while the result meant they were close to automatic promotion seemed realistic about their chances in the Premiership. They have put together the sort of promotion run that we enjoyed last year and in IMHO are deserving of an automatic spot. Inspite of this the Royals fans weren't bigging themselves up. With that in mind I hope they stuff those arrogant Saints.

You don't read incessant posts from Reading fans banging on about their divine right to hold down a Premiership or any other place - unlike Pompey fans who think they are too good to get relegated let alone ejected from the Football League. Seems like institutional arrogance is a Hampshire thing.

I recall Reading grubbing around in the lower Divisions for many years in the 60's and 70's (along with the Albion) and making do with a ropey old ground at Elm Park. Their Chairman and new stadium gave them a springboard to better things but without going on a spending spree. It is good to see such clubs rise to the top tier. They are not my favourite other Club and probably will never be in the true footballing elite but their recent success along with the likes of Norwich and other similar clubs gives hope to Clubs like us. Interesting to note the contrast with Southampton who might have such regard if they were less arrogant.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
On the whole the Royals fans I spoke to after the game were very honest about how well we had played and while the result meant they were close to automatic promotion seemed realistic about their chances in the Premiership. They have put together the sort of promotion run that we enjoyed last year and in IMHO are deserving of an automatic spot. Inspite of this the Royals fans weren't bigging themselves up. With that in mind I hope they stuff those arrogant Saints.

You don't read incessant posts from Reading fans banging on about their divine right to hold down a Premiership or any other place - unlike Pompey fans who think they are too good to get relegated let alone ejected from the Football League. Seems like institutional arrogance is a Hampshire thing.

I recall Reading grubbing around in the lower Divisions for many years in the 60's and 70's (along with the Albion) and making do with a ropey old ground at Elm Park. Their Chairman and new stadium gave them a springboard to better things but without going on a spending spree. It is good to see such clubs rise to the top tier. They are not my favourite other Club and probably will never be in the true footballing elite but their recent success along with the likes of Norwich and other similar clubs gives hope to Clubs like us. Interesting to note the contrast with Southampton who might have such regard if they were less arrogant.

Excellent post

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
I was in the Reading end with my cousins and thought they were a little lucky to get the win. Many supporters around me kept moaning about CMS and Barnes diving throughout the game. I sat there knowing my follow Ablion supporters would be moaning about their players in the same way. I always find it amusing watching the Albion when sat with the opposition supporters.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Nice to read some considered comments about our side and ground rather than the usual rubbish - but I guess the away supporters thoughts somewhat reflect the result.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I have worked in Reading and Bracknell for the past 10 years so have come into contact with a lot of Reading fans and followers I make the difference because they do seem to have a large element of followers who support London clubs or rugby as well as the true Reading fans. I think you also need to take into account the socio makeup of the Thames valley apart from a few small estates it is not your inner city or Hampshire troglodyte so their views tend to be more balanced and educated.
We are similar and I enjoy banter with Reading supporters both clubs are moving with the times and I would take them as rivals over mill wall any day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here