Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

View from the other side...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think the atmosphere got to Brighton on saturday. The Middlesborough support was just
too hot and intimidating. I fear more of the same at Hillsborough and It's how the Albion players
handle it on the day.
For the first time in weeks the match isn't a 'Must Win', it's a 'Must Not Shag Up Too Badly'.

The pressure is well and truely off on Friday, I wouldn't worry about intimidation too much if I were you.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I did want them to win the play offs but seeing them turn into the biggest bunch of pompous cry babies has made me want to root for Shef Wed. They're pathetic.

You have sought out this response by coming on here and poking your finger in a fresh wound.

Did you expect to come on here and have all the little Brighton fans tell you that your team is great and thank you for deigning to give up your valuable time to give us a virtual pat on the head and say 'close but no cigar?'

Did you consider for even a moment that people might consider your presence on here to be unnecessary, patronising and passive aggressive?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I did want them to win the play offs but seeing them turn into the biggest bunch of pompous cry babies has made me want to root for Shef Wed. They're pathetic.
I reckon your welcome on here has pretty much expired now, so perhaps you can find your way out.

If I were a mod I'd remove your temptation to post on here for a while and let you get out and enjoy your summer.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I do think that's the way the rest of the football world feel about them now.

Yes, 'the rest of the football world' is completely focused on squabbles on a Brighton internet message board.

Try to read back what you have written before you post it. If it doesn't make any sense, you do have the option to not post it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Boro fans are convinced that if the challenge was the other way round we'd all think it was a red.

That reasoning only works if, had it been that way round, they'd all believe it wasn't a red and Stephens was just a big Southern poofter who couldn't deal with a scratch on his leg.

I wonder how gracious they would be if it had been the other way round, and they were reduced to 10 men. With an extra man, we pushed and pushed and, in the 98th minute, scored the winner that took us up.

Would they all be saying it was a fair and just red? Would they all be saying that Read made the right decision? Would they be accepting of Albion fans wishing them good luck in the play-offs?

I think we all know how it would be, had things been completely reversed.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
These norverners are quaint aren't they?

They get promotion, should be out having fun enjoying the warm, summer weather and the prospect of lower table obscurity next year but they choose to post b0ll0cks on a rival forum.

Bless.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Don't agree at all. I felt we did okay, the first half we held them comfortably, goal from a set-piece, a shot blocked, nothing else of note.

Second half we bossed lots of possession but very few chances.

If that had been a mid-season game we'd be saying 'what a good point', there was nothing lucky about it.

At the end of the day we played a team with a very strong defence, who are above us, we were never going to roll over them.

The game that cost us was Derby, when we were very poor in the second half.

Agreed. I am not one for "if only" threads, but if we had beaten Derby and needed to go to Boro for a draw, it might have been different. But then, Boro would have had to go all out for the win, which would have made it different again.

Absolutely right that under any other circumstances it would have been a good result - just not good enough to get us "over the line" against a team which are acknowledged as one of the very best in the division.

A couple of posts on the Bradford foroum???

Never been a straight red. Not sure why Prem refs come down for these games.

Dean let obvious yellows go early off then sends a guy off for a yellow card foul. A game of this value has been ruined and could cost Brighton 170 million.

For the ref it will just go down as a mistake. Shocking.:moo:

Agree, the Boro fanny messed about and lost control of the ball, it was free to be won, what was Stephens supposed to do? I think a yellow would have been a tad harsh, a red was nonsense, he scored a great header and I think they would have gone on to win. Scandalous!:moo:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Also, what is Kawanka doing on our BBC Sports page?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion

Screenshot from 2016-05-10 08:32:59.png

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
These norverners are quaint aren't they?

They get promotion, should be out having fun enjoying the warm, summer weather and the prospect of lower table obscurity next year but they choose to post b0ll0cks on a rival forum.

Bless.

They don't have warm summer weather. Ever.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for the non abusive thoughtful response. I agree we were poor and struggling for nerves but I'd say the same for Brighton to. Neither team had end product and both were guilty of defensive lapses which can only be expected when the players are under such instrumental pressure. I do think maybe a lot of you are underestimating our defence slightly. I thought our defence was good, and has been our main strength all year, which made your attack look poor rather than your attackers having a bad game.

Having watched the red card countless times now, I'm less adamant it was a red as I was initially. But what went against Stephens was a culmination of the following, because I agree it's clear to see he got the ball before Gaston (not that this makes it not a foul)
A) handbags with gaston 1 min earlier
B) the nasty wound
C) I don't know why he put his studs through the ball as opposed to poking it away with your toe or side of the foot as usual? I think that's what as put doubt in the refs mind.

However looking at it from your point of view
A) gaston didn't cheat let's be clear. He took a nasty hit and has every right to show the ref (those saying dive or self inflicting I have no time for) however he should not of hit the card out of the refs hand. I agree that's a red card offence and if people start getting away with that the refs will lose all control
B) disappointing that dean changed his mind. Red card or not aside, the ref was clearly influenced by seeing the gash which must be very frustrating for you all to see him swap a yellow to red

Putting the mentally unstable abusive members of your site a side, you're a great club who play lovely football and it will be so unfair if you don't go up via the play offs as you've been much better than Derby hull and Wednesday all year. I'll be backing you that's for sure. It's a shame the game was over with the red. Because whether it was a red or not it ass in the middle of the pitch and had no effect on that stage of play (I.e. Unlike a last man foul)

Great to see some reasoned debate breaking out on NSC. Don't be put off by the knobs.

Personally, I don't think Stephens had any intent in this challenge, but given that he and Ramirez had only just had a talking to by the ref it was an unwise challenge for him to be going into and was bound to result in a yellow card if only for Dean to send a clear message to both players. I actually feel that the injury could have gone either way as both players had their feet up and no player had control of the ball.

It won't be rescinded and you guys are up so I think this is the last I'm going to contribute to the debate (unless the FA extend Stephens' ban).

Good luck next year. What are your odds on winning the league? I might blow a quid on it.

Sent from my iPhone using blancmange

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I do think that's the way the rest of the football world feel about them now.

Of course they do. Gary Lineker, Sir Bobby Charlton, Pele, Roy Hodgson, Ronaldo, Diego Simone... they were all just on Radio 5 saying the same thing.

Smells like you have too much interest in the Albion and this board.

Sent from my iPhone using blancmange

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
A couple of posts on the Bradford foroum???

Never been a straight red. Not sure why Prem refs come down for these games.

Dean let obvious yellows go early off then sends a guy off for a yellow card foul. A game of this value has been ruined and could cost Brighton 170 million.

For the ref it will just go down as a mistake. Shocking.:moo:

Agree, the Boro fanny messed about and lost control of the ball, it was free to be won, what was Stephens supposed to do? I think a yellow would have been a tad harsh, a red was nonsense, he scored a great header and I think they would have gone on to win. Scandalous!:moo:

Similarly from the Hudds forum:

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/100448/mike-dean

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

Is Stephens 'that sort of player?' I've never seen anything I recall at the AMEX to suggest he is at all, and nothing bad that I can recall ever said about him on here? Maybe when he was a bit younger perhaps, and he's mellowed? What would give the Huddersfield supporters that impression?

My old man spent an evening with the team recently and coincidentally commented (prior to the game) that he didn't think he was particularly friendly(shy?) compared to all the others. There is also that (spirited)pic on the plane, and his prior engagement with Gaston and the ref which is fresh in the mind which makes me wonder. Nothing more than that at all. Hardly damning.

BUT I do NOT mean to bad mouth the guy. I'm sure he is as decent as I'm confident the rest of our team are. I genuinely love the thought of supporting a top bunch of blokes that play good football, and know how to behave. I would struggle to support a Bartonesque player in our team, even if he was good 'at what he does'

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here