Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP look like fools again

D

Deleted member 22389

This is sort of related to what is happening in this country. Perhaps why some are pretty fed up with the parties that are/have been in power.
This was a message i received from a friend, who works in a school, let's just say north of Birmingham.

"The school where I work has just put out a comprehensive memo telling us what we are not allowed to do on social media such as FB, i AM NOT ALLOWED to discuss politics or religion, or I will face disciplinary action!"

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
This is sort of related to what is happening in this country. Perhaps why some are pretty fed up with the parties that are/have been in power.
This was a message i received from a friend, who works in a school, let's just say north of Birmingham.

"The school where I work has just put out a comprehensive memo telling us what we are not allowed to do on social media such as FB, i AM NOT ALLOWED to discuss politics or religion, or I will face disciplinary action!"

If it's a comprehensive memo it's maybe a bit more nuanced than that?

Probably says something along the lines of: if you identify yourself and where you work and through expressing views bring the reputation of the school into disrepute then you could face action and then advises caution in social media etc. This code of conduct stuff is pretty standard & not specific to social media but people are falling foul of it on line. Just sayin.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Probably says something along the lines of: if you identify yourself and where you work and through expressing views bring the reputation of the school into disrepute then you could face action and then advises caution in social media etc. This code of conduct stuff is pretty standard & not specific to social media but people are falling foul of it on line. Just sayin.

Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't sound that weird.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The teachers at my kids' school in Portslade have a social media contract. It's standard.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Common sense really if you are a teacher, we shouldn't be spouting political and social opinions in a public forum. I am sure there are many parents that would get pissed off if their child's teacher was spouting overtly right or left wing views.

I suspect that if you read the document it wouldn't be half as unreasonable as it has been presented here.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
9580087_orig.jpg

Miss Pollyanna, your Facebook status has changed again to "in a committed relationship." On the other hand, you are correct that your new bloke is sooooooo hot!

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Their policies are disgraceful - and consider that they will be sugar coating them (or leaving many out) in order to win votes.

More prisons, harsher laws, scrap the human rights act, abandon green energy in favour of industrial era plants, increased military budget, more money to the rich and less to the poor, privatisation of the NHS and so on.

I would imagine a hypothetical UKIP Britain would be like a return to industrial age Britain, except with an authoritarian and dystopian twist. It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if they would like to introduce labour camps or make Muslims wear yellow badges.

More reprehensible bile spewing from your keyboard.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yep. I fear every single thing on there, and so should you.

You disagree with scrapping tax on the minimum wage ?? Really ?? Or is it that you haven't bothered reading the link ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You disagree with scrapping tax on the minimum wage ?? Really ?? Or is it that you haven't bothered reading the link ?

Not at all. But that's window dressing politics.

Personal tax allowance is £10,000 per annum. Let's say you're working 40 hours a week on the minumum wage and earning circa £13.5k a year. You're already taking a hit of 12% on that for National Insurance which is around £1,600. So, it bring your annual salary down to just under £12k a year. Of that only the £1,900 is taxable. It means you're about £7 a week better off.

Now, I don't get excited by that - in fact, I see that policy as a smokescreen policy. It sounds good, but it detracts from far more important issues. £6.50 an hour is a scandal. The fact that we haven't moved forward to a debate on the living wage (presently £9.15 in London) is a disgrace.

So, yes, I am anti that policy. Even if it does give some marginal gains, it just looks nice and its a little bit of sugar coating to disguise UKIP's other policies and detracts from what we should be demanding.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
PS Shall we talk about UKIP's desire for a flat tax rate as well, so that those earning just above the minimum wage pay the same amount of tax as those on £100,000 a year?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
More reprehensible bile spewing from your keyboard.

Ah! I was curious as to why you were continually hunting my posts down and insulting me. You're a right winger.

D

Deleted member 22389

Not at all. But that's window dressing politics.

Personal tax allowance is £10,000 per annum. Let's say you're working 40 hours a week on the minumum wage and earning circa £13.5k a year. You're already taking a hit of 12% on that for National Insurance which is around £1,600. So, it bring your annual salary down to just under £12k a year. Of that only the £1,900 is taxable. It means you're about £7 a week better off.

Now, I don't get excited by that - in fact, I see that policy as a smokescreen policy. It sounds good, but it detracts from far more important issues. £6.50 an hour is a scandal. The fact that we haven't moved forward to a debate on the living wage (presently £9.15 in London) is a disgrace.

So, yes, I am anti that policy. Even if it does give some marginal gains, it just looks nice and its a little bit of sugar coating to disguise UKIP's other policies and detracts from what we should be demanding.

It is a disgrace, however no company is going to pay more than they have too. We have an over supply of workers more than happy to work on that rate too, it highlights the point ukip make in that respect. Yes the government can try and push a higher minimum wage through, but it would not be popular with smaller business if they are struggling now. One way to may be do it is to regulate what agencies charge, so that more could be paid to workers. Isn't it the case that agencies say charge the employer 8 per hour but pay the workers 6.50 per hour?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
PS Shall we talk about UKIP's desire for a flat tax rate as well, so that those earning just above the minimum wage pay the same amount of tax as those on £100,000 a year?

It would be fairer to integrate NI into a flat rate tax , why should high earners (£100k+ pa) only pay 2% contributions on anything earned above £800 per week ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It is a disgrace, however no company is going to pay more than they have too. We have an over supply of workers more than happy to work on that rate too, it highlights the point ukip make in that respect. Yes the government can try and push a higher minimum wage through, but it would not be popular with smaller business if they are struggling now. One way to may be do it is to regulate what agencies charge, so that more could be paid to workers. Isn't it the case that agencies say charge the employer 8 per hour but pay the workers 6.50 per hour?

And that my friend is the real issue. Immigration has nowt to do with it. Ask yourself why you think it is not possible for this country to push through a living wage. We are fed a line by our media and politicians, but the one we are being fed i.e. it's all Europe's fault, is not the right one.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Agencies should be banned. Middle men taking a cut. Bloody sharks. No need for them.

D

Deleted member 22389

Agencies should be banned. Middle men taking a cut. Bloody sharks. No need for them.

No there isn't. In the old days Thursday was the jobs day in the Argus wasn't it. You would apply in writing or phone for an interview, and then be offered an interview, so you cut these type of people out completely. Your employer had a duty to give you a 3 month trial period and you had a thing called a contract of employment.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
No there isn't. In the old days Thursday was the jobs day in the Argus wasn't it. You would apply in writing or phone for an interview, and then be offered an interview, so you cut these type of people out completely. Your employer had a duty to give you a 3 month trial period and you had a thing called a contract of employment.

Exactly. The JIB in my trade could set up a website for employers to get sparks. Those looking for work could get in touch with those employers looking for labour. The employer would have your details and qualifications etc to avoid cowboys, pay a rate below what the leech agency charge them and higher than what the sparks eventually picks up. As it stands the sparks gets stopped his tax, about £20 a week to provide the pay, and now employee AND employer NI. Known as Umbrella Scam. The agencies worm their way onto the contracts at the start and often to get on the job you have to work for them. Luckily i have managed to work direct mostly, but on my job now the agency workers are about £80 a week (after stoppages) worse of a week than me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here