Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The biggest problem is the traffickers selling golden tickets of false hope. It doesn’t matter what the policy is for letting people into Europe, there will always be another overloaded boat or lorry on its way. When these people are spending €thousands a time it is a very lucrative business.

If we make it open entry into Europe to anyone who wants to try, the death rates from the boat crossings etc will more than likely increase because the dream would become an easier sell for the traffickers.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Communism the world over is the answer. That way, nobody in the world has anything, there is uniform poverty, thus eliminating the inequalities which force people to flee from poor parts of the world to the rich.

Just a thought…

Well done, using human misery and death to further your own, totally unrelated, political ideology and beliefs.
A piss poor post!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
11,000 Icelanders have also volunteered to open their homes.

Oh come on, they've clicked a mouse on a facebook petition.

In the UK 700 000 clicked a mouse on a facebook petition to try to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear.

Its a nice gesture but shows absolutely no real indication of any political or individual will of the Icelandic people and Jeremy Clarkson never returned for Top Gear.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The biggest problem is the traffickers selling golden tickets of false hope. It doesn’t matter what the policy is for letting people into Europe, there will always be another overloaded boat or lorry on its way. When these people are spending €thousands a time it is a very lucrative business.

If we make it open entry into Europe to anyone who wants to try, the death rates from the boat crossings etc will more than likely increase because the dream would become an easier sell for the traffickers.

Why is the only solution to this current issue 'open the gates'. It seems the only two positions in this debate are either a) let millions in, or b) do nothing and protect our borders.

It surely is far more complex than that, and much more could be done without simply suggesting unchecked migration.

I'm no expert on what could be done, so can't offer solutions, but many agencies must have the experience and know how of what is needed to firstly help those most desperately in need, and secondly to ensure the vulnerable are protected. Something like 2500 of the asylum seeking applications last year were unaccompanied children. Kids desperate for someone, or to find lost family. These aren't young men on mobile phones in Nike trainers, its 2500 children.

The answer isn't just unchecked migration, but it isn't do nothing and just protect borders either. These are human beings, and regardless of every 1 chancer adult male looking for a free ride, we must know there are equally desperate young families, women and children. You don't not help these people because of the odd chancer, you just have to manage the situation as best you can.

So perhaps it's not open entry to Europe, but I just think Britain could lead Europe in this, step forward in solidarity with say Germany and come up with a unilateral plan than others can follow. Surely if DC wants us to remain in Europe to convince us of its merits, this is the time to step up to the plate, not cower scared of opinion polls in the shadows.

Like I said, I don't have the solutions, but I know one unacceptable solution is to do nothing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh come on, they've clicked a mouse on a facebook petition.

In the UK 700 000 clicked a mouse on a facebook petition to try to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear.

Its a nice gesture but shows absolutely no real indication of any political or individual will of the Icelandic people and Jeremy Clarkson never returned for Top Gear.

Some did more than just click a mouse.

Here are a couple of examples of the offers that flooded in over a 24-hour period via the Iceland Review Online:

“I’m happy to look after children, take them to kindergarten, school and wherever they need. I can cook for people and show them friendship and warmth. I can pay the airfare for one small family. I can contribute with my expertise and assist pregnant women with pre-natal care.”
“I have an extra room in a spacious apartment which I am more than happy to share along with my time and overall support.”
"I'm a single mother with a 6-year-old son... We can take a child in need. I'm a teacher and would teach the child to speak, read and write Icelandic and adjust to Icelandic society. We have clothes, a bed, toys and everything a child needs. I would of course pay for the airplane ticket," Hekla Stefansdottir wrote in another post, according to Agence France-Presse

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Amnesty International recently pointed out that the "six Gulf countries -- Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain -- have offered zero resettlement places to Syrian refugees". This is DISGRACEFUL and needs focusing on as much as the situation in Europe.

Is it not frustrating that we're not leading on this? That we're not pulling the Americans into this to put pressure on these states to become involved? I find it mind numbing that of all the things I would like Britain to be known for, to be a leader in is moments like this. As said above, we seem hand tied in political rhetoric hiding behind the spectre of media driven opinion polls, and scare mongering over migration.

There are perhaps more solutions like you're suggesting, maybe some are viable, maybe some are impossible or just plain naive.

Perhaps a wave of Europe wide public action, even if it's just transit vans full of clothes, tents and equipment delivered to key locations will demonstrate a will across the continent that for the most part, people want to help, but really, we need our governments to lead on it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Pretty much spot on.

The current refugee exodus exists due to 800 years of our collective history as a colonial and Christian power, hell-bent on exporting our values, religion and control on other nations.

Cant disagree with that. Trouble is too many people fail to appreciate this fact and its subtleties, or disagree with it (I think it more of an unconscious desire to not want to accept some form of ‘responsibility’) or worse don’t care. In addition particularly those in power, have little interest in the past, only interested with remaining popular and powerful today.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why is the only solution to this current issue 'open the gates'. It seems the only two positions in this debate are either a) let millions in, or b) do nothing and protect our borders.

It surely is far more complex than that, and much more could be done without simply suggesting unchecked migration.

I'm no expert on what could be done, so can't offer solutions, but many agencies must have the experience and know how of what is needed to firstly help those most desperately in need, and secondly to ensure the vulnerable are protected. Something like 2500 of the asylum seeking applications last year were unaccompanied children. Kids desperate for someone, or to find lost family. These aren't young men on mobile phones in Nike trainers, its 2500 children.

The answer isn't just unchecked migration, but it isn't do nothing and just protect borders either. These are human beings, and regardless of every 1 chancer adult male looking for a free ride, we must know there are equally desperate young families, women and children. You don't not help these people because of the odd chancer, you just have to manage the situation as best you can.

So perhaps it's not open entry to Europe, but I just think Britain could lead Europe in this, step forward in solidarity with say Germany and come up with a unilateral plan than others can follow. Surely if DC wants us to remain in Europe to convince us of its merits, this is the time to step up to the plate, not cower scared of opinion polls in the shadows.

Like I said, I don't have the solutions, but I know one unacceptable solution is to do nothing.

The starting point is that their is something like 20 - 30 million refugees and migrants, with such a scale it is nearly impossible to offer any fair resettlement without at some point closing entry.

There is a security issue here too, how can you allow 100 000's of unknown persons that come from countries that have a prevalent and active Islamic military arm, with differing degrees of allegiances with ISIS.

It needs to be dealt with on the ground, somehow some level of calm needs to be achieved, it can never be perfect, we cannot mop up the global wreckage.

I am indifferent to those that seem to have only now noticed there are atrocities happening in say Syria, well the Middle East seems to have a penchant for atrocities, it seems to be their default position.

The tragic photo of that drowned child doesnt depict a world recently gone bad, children die by neglect, abuse and deprivation in the UK, perhaps it would be more meaningful if those that want to foster a Syrian family consider fostering a UK child from one of our own residential childrens homes, neither one is more deserving than the other but this recent outrage and sadness at peoples struggles sits a little uncomfortable with me, too much ignorance touted around as compassion.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Is it not frustrating that we're not leading on this? That we're not pulling the Americans into this to put pressure on these states to become involved? I find it mind numbing that of all the things I would like Britain to be known for, to be a leader in is moments like this. As said above, we seem hand tied in political rhetoric hiding behind the spectre of media driven opinion polls, and scare mongering over migration.

There are perhaps more solutions like you're suggesting, maybe some are viable, maybe some are impossible or just plain naive.

Perhaps a wave of Europe wide public action, even if it's just transit vans full of clothes, tents and equipment delivered to key locations will demonstrate a will across the continent that for the most part, people want to help, but really, we need our governments to lead on it.

Unfortunately the USA will not put pressure on the oil rich Arab States and, so, neither will we.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here