Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Uh no he'll sign all of our good players"

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd be very surprised if Chelsea will be that bothered about "ones for the future" they already have a shitload of those and I also imagine they will be looking for better replacements than most Albion players. They already have plenty that already are. Moises maybe Sanchez but you can rely on Bloom making it a bidding war because other top clubs will want them too.

There is rather too much paranoia on this board at the moment imo.

I think you can guarantee that Bloom will be very hardened to making things very difficult and expensive for any future swoops from Chelsea. I really don't see half our team going there :shrug:

Why else would Macualay go? If Potter, Billy and Björn had gone it was just the management (and classic gone in 6 months) . This feels a bit more structured.

The saving grace for me is that it is almost impossible to find anyone that knows TBs star lizard operation end to end. They all seem to know a bit each. On that basis, I'd imagine info at the Albion isn't widely available. Replicating what we do is more complex than a few individuals.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I've been thinking about that. I think the bigger issue is how important is Kyle MacAulay is for future recruitment. And the answer is.......quite important.

https://www.givemesport.com/8805753...g-exciting-transfer-expert-to-stamford-bridge

The report says he was responsible for the recent recruits Caicedo and Cucurella. We have to assume he will have taken a copy of our database of potential recruits as well.

We will probably never know but my understanding is that KM was a link between the recruitment department and GP. Obviously he'd have held influence but I'm not sure he was pivotal in those signings. It is a concern, post KM and DA, that we might return to Ali J style signings though...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey. I didn't say half the team would go to Chelsea. In fact I didn't say anyone would go to Chelsea, inspite of the fact that 5 people have just done so. Read my comment again.

Why would you be surprised that Chelsea will be that bothered about future hires? The article would suggest otherwise.

There's no paranoia here. It is standard practice for sales professionals to download the client database when they change jobs.

I wasn't picking you out, it was just a comment on views expressed on the thread :smile:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If he feels he needs some players that are already supportive of him, to help win over the dressing room, I could se him coming in for a couple.
Sanchez and Caicedo would be perfect transfers, as they both have a high ceiling and are already good enough to play at that level.

Other than that I can't see him being interested in any of our other players.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've been thinking about that. I think the bigger issue is how important is Kyle MacAulay is for future recruitment. And the answer is.......quite important.

https://www.givemesport.com/8805753...g-exciting-transfer-expert-to-stamford-bridge

The report says he was responsible for the recent recruits Caicedo and Cucurella. We have to assume he will have taken a copy of our database of potential recruits as well.

How would the reporter know any of that, it's pure speculation.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

A wild guess is that they might have a database of their own

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Seen PLENTY of posts about Graham Potter and Chelsea coming to sign Sanchez, Webster, Trossard, Caicedo and Ali Mac.

What is that based on?

Certainly not on managers usually doing that.

That managers frequently go for players from former clubs is a myth. Don't worry about it.

The one you're missing is Aubemeyang who was signed specifically because the manager had worked with him in the past

That worked out well

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The one you're missing is Aubemeyang who was signed specifically because the manager had worked with him in the past

That worked out well

Yeah... five years ago, with two clubs in between.

I'll admit I can't rule out Potter buying Ali Mac in five years after he's been to Barcelona and Juventus.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I wouldn't assume that at all.........I would expect the club to have controls in place to prevent that (Tony will be acutely aware of the risks and controls from Starlizard ops), and KM's contract would expressly prevent taking proprietary data. Of course there are (at least partial) ways round it and he'll have a lot of the key names in his head anyway.............

My understanding from what Potter has said previously is that KM was the link between the recruitment team and him - ie he doesn't actually identify potential recruits, what he does is a kind of 'pre-screening' for Potter because he knows what Potter looks for in a player after the recruitment team pass them over.

That's a considered answer. The 'pre-screening' idea sounds likely - to whittle down the numbers. The grunt work will have already been done by the recruitment team, and before that, perhaps StarLizard.
But your theory is that KM would not have had access to that complete database. While neither of us know either way, I would suggest it would be safer to assume he did. Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Only Caicedo is really good and consistent enough for a top 4 side at this stage I think. Chelsea won’t be the only ones after him anyway.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's a considered answer. The 'pre-screening' idea sounds likely - to whittle down the numbers. The grunt work will have already been done by the recruitment team, and before that, perhaps StarLizard.
But your theory is that KM would not have had access to that complete database. While neither of us know either way, I would suggest it would be safer to assume he did. Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.

That’s not my theory at all nor what I posted. Of course he’ll have access to it. The pre-screening isn’t ‘likely’ - it’s something Potter has explicitly said (recent podcast).

Here’s the podcast - the irony of the title :moo:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...ode/NjJmZDBmMmRlMGMxM2QwMDEyMjhmN2U0?hl=en-GB

Last edited:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
We can say NO ! Whilst giving the middle finger.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I would not trust that to be accurate in the use of the word "responsible", certainly involved, but these players were not hiding under a rock. His job title was recruitment analyst, he might elevate a player on our list to the top of the list because he saw something he really liked, or knew Potter would like, but I am pretty sure we would have been in for Caicedo whether Macauley was there or not, and that we would have been watching Cucurella, but maybe others would have prioritised Estupinan.
Bissouma and Mac Allister were acquired a year before we had Potter in the job if you want examples of our recruitment working well without him.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Caicedo will move on and be a starter for a top team, though I wouldn't have thought Chelsea would be the best choice given he'd be competing with Kante for the same role.

Trossard and Ali Mac are both likely to leave next summer given their contract situations. They will go to one of the top 6 as squad players, or to a big club abroad (as their upfront fee will drop in the last year of the contract).

Until Sanchez cuts out his one blunder every two games, we are his ceiling. Top clubs and their fans won't put up with that.

It doesn't really matter whether its Chelsea or whether its someone else who comes in. Though we can probably milk more money out of Chelsea.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Seen PLENTY of posts about Graham Potter and Chelsea coming to sign Sanchez, Webster, Trossard, Caicedo and Ali Mac.

What is that based on?

Certainly not on managers usually doing that. Here's all the managers with a previous club (anyone except Arteta) who were in charge in the summer (= not O'Neil, Crofts and Potter) and how they've gone about it.

Jurgen Klopp
Last club: Borussia Dortmund
Players signed from Dortmund: none, not a god damn soul

Pep Guardiola
Last club: Bayern
Players signed from Bayern: not one single little fecker

Thomas Frank
Last club: Bröndby
Players signed from Bröndby: nah

Ralph Hasenhuttl
Last club: RB Leipzig
Players signed from Leipzig: nil

Brendan Rodgers
Last club: Celtic
Players signed from Celtic: no.

David Moyes
Last club: Sunderland
Players signed from Sunderland: nope

Bruno Lage
Last club: Benfica
Players signed from Benfica: yes plenty. Just kidding; zero.

Marco Silva
Last club: Everton
Players signed from Everton: nein

Patrick Vieira
Last club: Nice
Players signed from Nice: yer mum is palace and nice. other than that, no.

Steve Cooper
Last club: Swansea
Players signed from Swansea: they've signed players from every single club except Swansea

Antonio Conte
Last club: Inter
Players signed from Inter: Ivan Perisic

Eddie Howe
Last club: Bournemouth
Players signed from Bournemouth: nicht

Steven Gerrard
Last club: Rangers
Players signed from Rangers: not even as much as a little Goldson. They did sign 16 year old Rory Wilson however.

Frank Lampard
Last club: Chelsea
Players signed from Chelsea: oh ye they'd like that wouldn't they. but no.

Jesse Marsch
Last club: RB Leipzig
Players signed from Leipzig: Tyler Adams

Erik ten Hag
Last club: Ajax
Players signed from Ajax: Lisandro Martinez & Antony

16 managers, 4 players (5 if you count the kid from Rangers). And you're saying GP is going to sign five players from Brighton?

That managers frequently go for players from former clubs is a myth. Don't worry about it.

This is encouraging reading - I am concerned about heads being turned purely because the lure for Potter remains for the players - Champions League, bigger club, better money and working again under potter who, despite some feeling on here, is by all accounts a good manager to play for. It wouldn't surprise me if enquiries were made. I just hope we stand firm. I suspect all depends on who comes in and their approach, attitudes, who is still getting game time and, most importantly, our performance and results.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think some people are putting far too much importance on the level of influence Potter had over signings, yes he would have been involved but some people seem to think he scouted, signed, arranged contracts and performed the medicals all by himself.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I think some people are putting far too much importance on the level of influence Potter had over signings, yes he would have been involved but some people seem to think he scouted, signed, arranged contracts and performed the medicals all by himself.

Given that he insisted that his man Macauley be embedded within Winstanley's recruitment team, I think its fair to assume he had more of a say, and gave more direction, than Hughton did.

But of course, Winstanley is still here and the Starlizard data is still here. There's no disaster there.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here