Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Uh no he'll sign all of our good players"

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Seen PLENTY of posts about Graham Potter and Chelsea coming to sign Sanchez, Webster, Trossard, Caicedo and Ali Mac.

What is that based on?

Certainly not on managers usually doing that. Here's all the managers with a previous club (anyone except Arteta) who were in charge in the summer (= not O'Neil, Crofts and Potter) and how they've gone about it.

Jurgen Klopp
Last club: Borussia Dortmund
Players signed from Dortmund: none, not a god damn soul

Pep Guardiola
Last club: Bayern
Players signed from Bayern: not one single little fecker

Thomas Frank
Last club: Bröndby
Players signed from Bröndby: nah

Ralph Hasenhuttl
Last club: RB Leipzig
Players signed from Leipzig: nil

Brendan Rodgers
Last club: Celtic
Players signed from Celtic: no.

David Moyes
Last club: Sunderland
Players signed from Sunderland: nope

Bruno Lage
Last club: Benfica
Players signed from Benfica: yes plenty. Just kidding; zero.

Marco Silva
Last club: Everton
Players signed from Everton: nein

Patrick Vieira
Last club: Nice
Players signed from Nice: yer mum is palace and nice. other than that, no.

Steve Cooper
Last club: Swansea
Players signed from Swansea: they've signed players from every single club except Swansea

Antonio Conte
Last club: Inter
Players signed from Inter: Ivan Perisic

Eddie Howe
Last club: Bournemouth
Players signed from Bournemouth: nicht

Steven Gerrard
Last club: Rangers
Players signed from Rangers: not even as much as a little Goldson. They did sign 16 year old Rory Wilson however.

Frank Lampard
Last club: Chelsea
Players signed from Chelsea: oh ye they'd like that wouldn't they. but no.

Jesse Marsch
Players signed from Leipzig: Tyler Adams

Erik ten Hag
Last club: Ajax
Players signed from Ajax: Lisandro Martinez & Antony

16 managers, 4 players (5 if you count the kid from Rangers). And you're saying GP is going to sign five players from Brighton?

That managers frequently go for players from former clubs is a myth. Don't worry about it.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Since Chelsea waltzed in yesterday with their suitcases full of cash and took away whatever took their fancy, and Potter demonstrated he doesn't give a **** about asset stripping his previous club, then I wouldn't put it past them to buck that trend.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I’d say it’s unlikely he’ll come for our squad. He can buy better.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Lets be honest very few of our players are Champions League standard at this point and Chelsea can buy oven ready world class. Other than Caceido who would be anything other than a squad player at Chelsea? Laughable to see people saying Sanchez, he's a long way from being ready for that level of pressure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Caicedo is the one he’s going to really come after………but we’re mostly resigned to losing him anyway so not really a big deal. If it’s Chelsea (they’ll face competition), Tony is probably going to whack a monstrous premium on the price.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Caicedo is the one he’s going to really come after………but we’re mostly resigned to losing him anyway so not really a big deal. If it’s Chelsea (they’ll face competition), Tony is probably going to whack a monstrous premium on the price.

The bigger issue for me is that in all likelihood they know what our existing players want to sign new deals (Mac & Trossard must have been offered them for example) making them easy to tap up as well as what our future targets are and recruitment strategy is. That also includes Cashworth at Newcastle.

Whatever genie was in the bottle that got Veltman & Caceido for peanuts is out to at least 2 clubs.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Seen PLENTY of posts about Graham Potter and Chelsea coming to sign Sanchez, Webster, Trossard, Caicedo and Ali Mac.

What is that based on?

Certainly not on managers usually doing that. Here's all the managers with a previous club (anyone except Arteta) who were in charge in the summer (= not O'Neil, Crofts and Potter) and how they've gone about it.

Jurgen Klopp
Last club: Borussia Dortmund
Players signed from Dortmund: none, not a god damn soul

Pep Guardiola
Last club: Bayern
Players signed from Bayern: not one single little fecker

Thomas Frank
Last club: Bröndby
Players signed from Bröndby: nah

Ralph Hasenhuttl
Players signed from Leipzig: nil

Brendan Rodgers
Last club: Celtic
Players signed from Celtic: no.

David Moyes
Last club: Sunderland
Players signed from Sunderland: nope

Bruno Lage
Last club: Benfica
Players signed from Benfica: yes plenty. Just kidding; zero.

Marco Silva
Last club: Everton
Players signed from Everton: nein

Patrick Vieira
Last club: Nice
Players signed from Nice: yer mum is palace and nice. other than that, no.

Steve Cooper
Last club: Swansea
Players signed from Swansea: they've signed players from every single club except Swansea

Antonio Conte
Last club: Inter
Players signed from Inter: Ivan Perisic

Eddie Howe
Last club: Bournemouth
Players signed from Bournemouth: nicht

Steven Gerrard
Last club: Rangers
Players signed from Rangers: not even as much as a little Goldson. They did sign 16 year old Rory Wilson however.

Frank Lampard
Last club: Chelsea
Players signed from Chelsea: oh ye they'd like that wouldn't they. but no.

Jesse Marsch
Players signed from Leipzig: Tyler Adams

Erik ten Hag
Last club: Ajax
Players signed from Ajax: Lisandro Martinez & Antony

16 managers, 4 players (5 if you count the kid from Rangers). And you're saying GP is going to sign five players from Brighton?

That managers frequently go for players from former clubs is a myth. Don't worry about it.

Stop coming up with reasonable fact based evidence to base your assumptions on. Not a good look on NSC and you know it!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
"Uh no he'll sign all of our good players"

Even if they did they would be in a bidding war with other top clubs Caicedo, Ali Mac and Sanchez will be on the radar of all of the ‘big 6’ and if they are not they are doing something seriously wrong!

I am not worried about Chelsea taking our players I am more worried what a change of manager means for the likelihood of getting new deals out of Ali Mac and Trossard

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

And Mac Allister .... already bossing most EPL games, the complete midfielder.

I hope it's not to Chelsea.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

That will surely be a bidding war with Manure and Liverpool. The final figure could dwarf Cucu’s transfer fee.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
He pre booked Cucu!!

Am interesting point.

There is no doubt in my mind that Potter had been tapped up by Chelsea some considerable time before Tuesday.

That Potter in my thoughts is little more than a conniving personality, it does beg the question as to how much influence he had in Cucurella s transfer.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The bigger issue for me is that in all likelihood they know what our existing players want to sign new deals (Mac & Trossard must have been offered them for example) making them easy to tap up as well as what our future targets are and recruitment strategy is. That also includes Cashworth at Newcastle.

Whatever genie was in the bottle that got Veltman & Caceido for peanuts is out to at least 2 clubs.

I've been thinking about that. I think the bigger issue is how important is Kyle MacAulay is for future recruitment. And the answer is.......quite important.

https://www.givemesport.com/8805753...g-exciting-transfer-expert-to-stamford-bridge

The report says he was responsible for the recent recruits Caicedo and Cucurella. We have to assume he will have taken a copy of our database of potential recruits as well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is there any upper limit to a release clause, anyone know? If not, TB should be updating certain players' contracts pronto tonto

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've been thinking about that. I think the bigger issue is how important is Kyle MacAulay is for future recruitment. And the answer is.......quite important.

https://www.givemesport.com/8805753...g-exciting-transfer-expert-to-stamford-bridge

The report says he was responsible for the recent recruits Caicedo and Cucurella. We have to assume he will have taken a copy of our database of potential recruits as well.

I wouldn't assume that at all.........I would expect the club to have controls in place to prevent that (Tony will be acutely aware of the risks and controls from Starlizard ops), and KM's contract would expressly prevent taking proprietary data. Of course there are (at least partial) ways round it and he'll have a lot of the key names in his head anyway.............

My understanding from what Potter has said previously is that KM was the link between the recruitment team and him - ie he doesn't actually identify potential recruits, what he does is a kind of 'pre-screening' for Potter because he knows what Potter looks for in a player after the recruitment team pass them over.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Am interesting point.

There is no doubt in my mind that Potter had been tapped up by Chelsea some considerable time before Tuesday.

That Potter in my thoughts is little more than a conniving personality, it does beg the question as to how much influence he had in Cucurella s transfer.

There is of course the possibility we had tapped up Potter when he was at Swansea before we sacked Hughton!!

It goes on, it's not nice but it goes on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I'd be very surprised if Chelsea will be that bothered about "ones for the future" they already have a shitload of those and I also imagine they will be looking for better replacements than most Albion players. They already have plenty that already are. Moises maybe Sanchez but you can rely on Bloom making it a bidding war because other top clubs will want them too.

There is rather too much paranoia on this board at the moment imo.

I think you can guarantee that Bloom will be very hardened to making things very difficult and expensive for any future swoops from Chelsea. I really don't see half our team going there :shrug:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It depends on who they had at their previous clubs and how much they thought of them, and what they have at their new club. I think Sanchez is at risk for sure.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'd be very surprised if Chelsea will be that bothered about "ones for the future" they already have a shitload of those and I also imagine they will be looking for better replacements than most Albion players. They already have plenty that already are. Moises maybe Sanchez but you can rely on Bloom making it a bidding war because other top clubs will want them too.

There is rather too much paranoia on this board at the moment imo.

I think you can guarantee that Bloom will be very hardened to making things very difficult and expensive for any future swoops from Chelsea. I really don't see half our team going there :shrug:

Blimey. I didn't say half the team would go to Chelsea. In fact I didn't say anyone would go to Chelsea, inspite of the fact that 5 people have just done so. Read my comment again.

Why would you be surprised that Chelsea will be that bothered about future hires? The article would suggest otherwise.

There's no paranoia here. It is standard practice for sales professionals to download the client database when they change jobs.

I agree with you that Bloom will make any future hires by Chelsea very difficult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here