TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Popkins said:
Once again people on here are blinkered to what the club thinks is right!!!

Persus has the right to his opinion, if he thinks penge is a good site for the Albion then he has the right to put across his point of view!

The does not make him a Wanker!
Sorry, Mr P, he is a wanker.

He has been warned on many occasions that he was giving comfort to the enemy. He has consistently brushed this off with statements like Falmer Parish Council will "propose Withdean as their alternative. They would not be capable of anything else" (22 Nov 2004, 1.50pm).

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lord Bracknell said:
Sorry, Mr P, he is a wanker.

He has been warned on many occasions that he was giving comfort to the enemy. He has consistently brushed this off with statements like Falmer Parish Council will "propose Withdean as their alternative. They would not be capable of anything else" (22 Nov 2004, 1.50pm).

Well they can have him - have you ever met him?? Not the most credible of people!!

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Surely at some stage before the Inquiry WSCC/Adur DC will coem out with a statement like "There is no way on this Earth that any application for the Stadium within our boundaries will get planning permission"

That should finish it !

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Why all this fuss? As i see it one of the sites may be better than Falmer and we get a ground there (and hopefully bigger than 22k), if not, we get Falmer. Win - win as i see it! :clap: :clap:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
On the plus side, we'll save a stack of cash on materials, if the stadium is built at the cement works. Just get a f***-off hosepipe & f***-off digger & flood the cement works with the river Adur & get building PDQ - should knock it up in a month!

:dunce:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...and you assume Adur, or whoever is going to give us the land for nix do you? And you assume that if its accepted as plausible that the site would be ok that no-one would challenge it and we would not have to have another PE? Who is going to pay for that then?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Lord Bracknell said:
I received a letter from the Planning Inspectorate this morning, about the arrangements for the resumed Public Inquiry.

This revealed that two more sites have been added to the list of alternatives that will be considered at the Inquiry. These are:-

Beeding Cement Works and
Shoreham Airport.

Presumably they have been suggested by Falmer Parish Council.

The Albion will, of course, now have to incur further costs in preparing and presenting detailed assessments of these sites. And it could mean that the Inquiry lasts longer than originally programmed.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I blame perseus.

But isn't it THEIR job now to prove that they CAN be used and meet all requirements?

Not our job??

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Mr Popkins,

Perseus is free to come up with a scheme that he thinks will work. No-one here has stopped him in his quest. I personally liked the Brighton station car-park site. We could have tried to construct a "downtown" sports development there, I would have been thrilled if were building it there.

We are not.

The Club and the professionals it employed, along with the Council, decided that Falmer was the best available site. Now I have to trust them that their judgement is right. We have to all work together if we are going to make this thing happen. If they think that Falmer is better than Brighton station then I will support Falmer. That's why I wrote e-mails and letters of support, signed petitions and given money to the club.

Perseus's scheme was not selected as the best possible site. However he has chosen to ignore the clubs plans and has carried on hawking his own scheme around. He was told that people who are fighting AGAINST this club were interested in what he was saying and he didn't care. I don't think for a minute that he wants to see serious harm inflicted on the club, but he has to accept that he has given the opposition some support. He has worked against the team that is trying to make Falmer happen for his own interests, namely his opposition to Shoreham Airport expansion plans.

It may not bother you that thanks to his plan the club now has to spend time and money (things that we are in short supply of) coming up with a detailed rebuttal to his personal dream. You have been very vocal in your claims that you "won't give a penny to the begging bowl". But I, and many, many, other people have given our hard-earned into the Alive and Kicking fund and we are not amused that it may well have to be spent on Pende.

I don't like seeing someone being hounded in the way perseus has been on this site. I find it very discomforting. I do, however, understand how some people have been driven to this behaviour. Brighton & Hove Albion FC haven't issued any sort of statement about this development. Dick Knight and Martin Perry have NOTHING to do with peoples opinions of perseus. We all know that you loath the people in charge of this club but don't try and involve them in something that happens on this board. Dick Knight hasn't told Dave the Gaffer, Bracknell or TLO to orchestrate some kind of hate campaign against perseus and his Pende plan. They have formed their own opinions about him and his plans and they don't need people from the club telling them what to do. They are frustrated and angry that his refusal to accept that promoting an alternative to Falmer as being more viable at a time when we all need to work together has ended up costing us money, money that we can ill-afford to waste.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Anyone who is jumping on the Shoreham Airport Expansion idea can come and see my right fist first :angry:

Only because I dont want to be awoken at 11am on a sunday by a huge Boeing 747 ;)

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Done some digging, Horsham District Councils website:
http://www.horsham.gov.uk/

Found this blurb from November 2002, I remember abit from the local paper about this but cant remember the outcome:

Draft Waste Local Plan

West Sussex County Council has released details of 30 possible locations which may be included in the Draft Waste Local Plan, which is the blueprint for future waste disposal in West Sussex.

These include 20 potential areas for waste recycling and recovery, of which eight are in the Horsham District and three sites that would be suitable for future energy from waste facilities including two in the Horsham District at Warnham Brickworks and Shoreham Cement Works.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I could be wrong on this and probably am (cos I failed Geography O level ... twice!) but I thought that land to the west of Shoreham Airport was deemed to be part of the strategic gap between Shoreham and Lancing and Adur council's long term plan is to retain that gap.

Quite frankly I can't see either of these as viable options. There are basically 2 roads between Shoreham and Lancing, both of which have problems with current traffic volumes. Neither can be expanded to cater for additional traffic.

Transport links must make the Cement Works a non-starter. No rail links and the cost of re-instating a railway line from Shoreham to Beeding would be prohibitive. Add onto that, the A283 is a single carriage road that imho cannot cope with the additional traffic that would be generated by siting a football ground.

Look on the bright side ... by considering ALL options now, it means they can't appeal the decision because certain sites have not been given due consideration, although I understand your frustration.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm amazed!!!

A) You lot weren't expecting some thing like this to happen (Why would Prescott reopen the case to hear the exact same arguments?)

B) You're surprised by it

C) You're blaming it on some chap who posts on an internet messageboard (if you are reading Mr Prescott I suggest you do something more worthwhile with your time).

It's just yet another stumbling block, how many of them have we had over the last, (I've lost count - 7 is it?) years?

I dare say that there will be many more over the next X years!!

I am going to be interested to hear the club's spin on things though, especially as one their chief puppets is so negative about the news.

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
As I have already asked. Lord B wouldn't Falmer council have just come up with other sites, if not Pende, that would be equally costly to argue against. At least now we know the site we're fighting against and many of us know its weaknesses etc.

'Better the devil you know.....'

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
More info I found:

SHOREHAM CEMENT WORKS

In 2003 an outline planning application for Shoreham Cement Works of 84 houses, 12,000 sq m of office floorspace, 26,500 sq m of industrial/storage floorspace, hotel, landscaping and open space was refused on appeal by the Secretary of State. Fundamentally, the proposal was refused as a consequence of the proposed development being of an inappropriate scale for a location within the South Downs AONB, and for including a considerable proportion of unsustainably located housing development. The Secretary of State's planning inspector stated in his decision that:

“ Notwithstanding the overall policy objective of securing restoration of the site, I consider that this substantial divergence from the broad guidance setting out proposed uses to be sufficient reason alone to conclude that the scheme does not comply with the Development Plan as a whole.“

On the basis of the appeal decision it is considered that the policy approach outlined in the existing Local Plan remains valid and should be rolled forward into the emerging Local Development Framework. The primary policy objective for the cement works will remain that only appropriate comprehensive development, which facilitates the environmental improvement of the site and respects its location within the South Downs AONB may be considered acceptable.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Mr Popkins,

Perseus is free to come up with a scheme that he thinks will work. No-one here has stopped him in his quest. I personally liked the Brighton station car-park site. We could have tried to construct a "downtown" sports development there, I would have been thrilled if were building it there.

We are not.

The Club and the professionals it employed, along with the Council, decided that Falmer was the best available site. Now I have to trust them that their judgement is right. We have to all work together if we are going to make this thing happen. If they think that Falmer is better than Brighton station then I will support Falmer. That's why I wrote e-mails and letters of support, signed petitions and given money to the club.

Perseus's scheme was not selected as the best possible site. However he has chosen to ignore the clubs plans and has carried on hawking his own scheme around. He was told that people who are fighting AGAINST this club were interested in what he was saying and he didn't care. I don't think for a minute that he wants to see serious harm inflicted on the club, but he has to accept that he has given the opposition some support. He has worked against the team that is trying to make Falmer happen for his own interests, namely his opposition to Shoreham Airport expansion plans.

It may not bother you that thanks to his plan the club now has to spend time and money (things that we are in short supply of) coming up with a detailed rebuttal to his personal dream. You have been very vocal in your claims that you "won't give a penny to the begging bowl". But I, and many, many, other people have given our hard-earned into the Alive and Kicking fund and we are not amused that it may well have to be spent on Pende.

I don't like seeing someone being hounded in the way perseus has been on this site. I find it very discomforting. I do, however, understand how some people have been driven to this behaviour. Brighton & Hove Albion FC haven't issued any sort of statement about this development. Dick Knight and Martin Perry have NOTHING to do with peoples opinions of perseus. We all know that you loath the people in charge of this club but don't try and involve them in something that happens on this board. Dick Knight hasn't told Dave the Gaffer, Bracknell or TLO to orchestrate some kind of hate campaign against perseus and his Pende plan. They have formed their own opinions about him and his plans and they don't need people from the club telling them what to do. They are frustrated and angry that his refusal to accept that promoting an alternative to Falmer as being more viable at a time when we all need to work together has ended up costing us money, money that we can ill-afford to waste.
At last some sense amongst the witchhunt. Although I disagree with his opinion, I think the threats made against perseus make the perpetrators look like hopeless keyboard warriors. If anyone thinks that perseus is the reason why Shoreham Airport has been dragged into the equation then they are giving a man with an obsession with rock pool life more credit than he ever deserves.

If you look at a map of Brighton and Hove and the surrounding area, one area which stands out as open, flat and not considered special is the flat area to the west of Shoreham Airport. Any nimby with a map was always going to propose it, even though it is outside the connurbation of Brighton and Hove. If FPC (or other nimbys) are using perseus website as their 'expert analysis' then we are home and dry

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
More on the Cement works here:
http://www.vic.org.uk/edu/faq/faq3.htm
not sure how old this bit is but it does say: "...In 1999 the new owners of the site..." possibly suggesting that it is "owned" land not just by the council but other people, not entirely sure what that means though :)

Yoda

English & European
Eddie the Seagull said:
On the plus side, we'll save a stack of cash on materials, if the stadium is built at the cement works. Just get a f***-off hosepipe & f***-off digger & flood the cement works with the river Adur & get building PDQ - should knock it up in a month!

:dunce:

And we could relay the Branch line from Shoreham-by-Sea for a match day shuttle. :jester:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Liam Wards just pointed this out on the mailing list

We couldn't play night games at the airport, if it was still active. Light pollution would blind pilots from seeing the runways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports