Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rangdo said:
There isn't a mileage limit. JP's report said sites must be "within the conubation of Brighton and Hove".

The original FA recommendation was that we stayed withing 8 miles of the centre of Brighton ( set at the Pavillion I think). What Prescott said was a tad ambiguous.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Would I be right in assuming that these are both pretty crappy sites for a stadium, and thus by suggesting them, Falmer PC is actually just making itself look rather stupid?

Or am I being too optimistic?

Keep the faith everyone, we WILL get Falmer.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Aside from wanting to feed Perseus to the Lons heres my thoughts on the two sites (Living in Shoreham I have a decent idea about both):

Cement Works:
Road access is crap, would need a two lane road from at least the south Flyover area and that would never happen due to environment impact not to mention the coast!
Train access is miles away in Central Shoreham.
Removal of the Asbestos and general cleaning up of the Site would cost loads...who is gonna pay for that?
I *think* it was Horsham District Council (or whoever it is near there) that objected to it in the first place and would probably fight it.
Outside Brighton & Hove.
No NIMBYS to argue, well theres a row of about 10 houses but I cant see them hating it, they'd love a wider road!

Pende:
Train access is miles away in Central Shoreham or Lancing.
NIMBYs, especially the old folk in the nearby Lancing estate.
Area has been outlined for other dvelopment that would generate more cash to the locals councils,t hey would want that route.
Outside Brighton & Hove.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
The original FA recommendation was that we stayed withing 8 miles of the centre of Brighton ( set at the Pavillion I think). What Prescott said was a tad ambiguous.

I think they are both within 8miles, checking now...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The cement works has been put forward before (by Barry Lloyd I believe) and it was catagorically thrown out as unsuitable.

Every time someone comes up with a suggestion for the cement works it is thrown out, hotels, sports centre, even a ski centre, all have been thrown out.

Don't worry about it, it won't be even considered.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
To: Brighton,E Susx

Total Distance: 13.0 miles

The Cement works is near Shoreham but probably more than 8miles I reckon.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
To: Brighton,E Susx

Total Distance: 7.4 miles

Pende is probably right on or within 8miles

The Beeding Cement Works site is within the boundary of the AONB and the proposed National Park. Presumably this sort of thing doesn't worry Falmer Parish Council any more.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
dave the gaffer said:

Yes, but JP isn't concerned with the FA. He's only interested in planning issues. My point is that by saying it must be within the conurbation I think he has made it more restrictive than the 8 miles. Pende may be within the 8 miles but I'm not sure you could say it is within the conurbation of Brighton and Hove which is what all proposed sites must be..

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
gazwag said:
Won't Shoreham Airport be a bit dangerous with all those planes landing - that gets that one out of the way and it didn't cost a penny

(i'm trying to lighten the mood a bit before I break something)

:lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
The Beeding Cement Works site is within the boundary of the AONB and the proposed National Park. Presumably this sort of thing doesn't worry Falmer Parish Council any more.

So am I right in saying they have shot themselves inthe foot with this argument AGAINST Falmer?
Would seem so to me!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rangdo said:
Yes, but JP isn't concerned with the FA. He's only interested in planning issues. My point is that by saying it must be within the conurbation I think he has made it more restrictive than the 8 miles. Pende may be within the 8 miles but I'm not sure you could say it is within the conurbation of Brighton and Hove which is what all proposed sites must be..

I'll go along with that. seems a fair argument

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
SURELY!!! Prescott or someone with a tadge of common sense will say "RIGHT THATS IT, we have the sussgested sites, no more!!"

FFS!!! This is so clearly an attempt to block a decision they all know they are going to lose!!!

:censored:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Joy.

Surely all the info about the Shoreham Aiport/Pende site is all on perseus's website? I imagine the FPC will simply cut'n'paste from there and present it as "expert" evidence. It can't be too hard to come up with rebuttals against that sort of "evidence".

Beeding Cement Works has been proposed for about a thousand different applications and none of them have ever happened. What possible evidence could the numpties have that could turn this into a viable site. Are they going to bring in Barry Lloyd to give evidence?

I think we all knew this was going to happen. LDC might be happy to concentrate on Sheepcote Valley but FPC were never going to agree with any of the original sites. The site all the numpties want to present is Withdean but that site has been scuppered by the need for 22,000 seats. Therefore FPC were always going to have to come up with some sort of "original" site and Shoreham was always going to pop up. I'd like to think that the club has already run the rule over the sites, just to establish the basics of the sites.

Is this the final list? Or can the numpties and spanners (Downsmen, Green Party, the un-usual suspects) come up with anymore "pearlers" like these two?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
gazwag said:
Won't Shoreham Airport be a bit dangerous with all those planes landing - that gets that one out of the way and it didn't cost a penny

(i'm trying to lighten the mood a bit before I break something)

"So you accecpt that there is a possiblity of Plane/Vehicle Collision?"

Nevermind the Bats :lolol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
dave the gaffer said:
I'll go along with that. seems a fair argument

Lets hope the inspector sees it that way :)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
CrabtreeBHA said:
So am I right in saying they have shot themselves inthe foot with this argument AGAINST Falmer?
Would seem so to me!

So Mr NIMBY please could you explain to the rest of the class why you think it is acceptable to build on this AONB and not Falmer?

Hmm? Hmm? Hmm?

To be honest I think the only draw back of this is the added cost the club is going to face in pointing out the drawbacks. In the case of the cement works it would appear that a lot of this work has already been carried out by other companies wishing to build there. I'm sure the local council will be happy to object too!

I don't think this two site really hold a candle to Falmer anyway.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I understand Adur District Council has absolutely no desire to house a stadium for Brighton & Hove Albion.

The main thrust of Horton's argument is driven by the fact he is so totally and utterly opposed to any expansion of Shoreham Airport into a commercial international airport. His obsessive opposition has driven him to plead for a stadium there instead. He has often said that any plans for an improved airport have already been turned down - which is not necessarily true. This is where his single-handed campaign has now got us.

That, and he is a complete f***ing twat as well.

While this is an irritation, and a f***ing annoying one, the arguments for these sites are so poor, and Horton's ideas so full of holes, that in the end, it should not make too much difference to the final outcome - i.e. we get Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here