[Football] Two England supporters in a bad way in Marseille according to French press

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
User Name

How come there is a violent moronic element that 'follow' England and Wales doesn't?

Welsh football has had more than its fair share of hooligans down the years. I'd suggest that while, sadly, England still attract a fair amount of meatheads - although a minuscule proportion of the overall number who travel - the biggest problem is that they're seen as a prime scalp for foreign hooligans. Our game has largely moved on. Some countries (and the approach to policing) are 30 years behind.

The most worrying aspect of all tonight are the pictures of fans fleeing the Russian supporters. Exactly how Heysel happened. Thankfully, this match wasn't in a stadium that was already falling apart.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
She was trying to get into the ground. Others were attacked in their seats. How is this provocation? How is this their fault? How can you avoid being in the wrong place if the wrong place is your seat in the ground?

Yes I'm sure that some people not involved in causing the violence will have been unpleasantly affected by it. Incidentally that includes many innocent residents of Marseille, many of whom might have not even had the slightest interest in a football match between two foreign countries.

Personally, as a football supporter who happens to be English, I find this whole 1980s retro hooligan thing tedious and vaguely embarrassing.

Again, however, and just going on the basis of what people in Marseille and at the match this evening have told me in texts today, it hasn't been difficult to avoid the trouble of you use a bit of common sense and don't flag yourself as a target (eg by being visibly drunk in the city centre in English colours while chanting abuse).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Yes I'm sure that some people not involved in causing the violence will have been unpleasantly affected by it. Incidentally that includes many innocent residents of Marseille, many of whom might have not even had the slightest interest in a football match between two foreign countries.

Personally, as a football supporter who happens to be English, I find this whole 1980s retro hooligan thing tedious and vaguely embarrassing.

Again, however, and just going on the basis of what people in Marseille and at the match this evening have told me in texts today, it hasn't been difficult to avoid the trouble of you use a bit of common sense and don't flag yourself as a target (eg by being visibly drunk in the city centre in English colours while chanting abuse).

Clueless! :ffsparr:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Also people saying the loud bang in the ground was in effect a starter gun to get the Russians to rush the England fans at the same time

rather hope thats true, as it will put alot of focus on the Russians and the French authorities who appeared to not care for security in the ground. flare and some other firework in a stadium is got to be an embaressment for them.

and on embaressment, i wonder if this will give FIFA an excuse to rescind the Russian hosting?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
At least our moronic English 'fans' will be getting free hospital treatment thanks to our reciprocal EU arrangements with the French health service. After Brexit, they'd probably have to pay for it, which is probably fair enough really ...

If there is a Moron around , you are that man ! , firstly for assuming that the victims of these incidents somehow deserved their ill fortune , secondly for trying , in vain , to score a cheap political point , Gobshite !

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Well the English fans getting a slap in the ground didn't look your typical lad.

Not sure what you mean by that but this is one of the most horrific pictures I have seen in modern day football:

CktBmx9XEAE7yOl.jpg

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
From the ITN at just after 10 the clip i saw was England fans in shirts gettting a slap ,not your typical lad type.

I thought thats what you meant, I just thought this picture is horrific at least 3 Dads with kids there obviously trying to get to safety, there is a picture from a little later of England fans having to jump over that fence to the right of the picture

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
So a group of English thugs started causing trouble, smashing windows, throwing bottles, giving it loads, and challenging other fans. And the normal English football fans pay the price times a hundred. I hope it isn't genuine fans that got hurt.

Haven't read or seen anything about England fans breaking windows. Have you got a link to these reports?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
"The hunters have become the hunted "
a quote from Cass Pennant in a football hooligan documentary
To these Russian mobs they see bashing England fans as a massive scalp where as the fast majority of England fans have moved on from the 70/80s
Sad to see proper English FOOTBALL fans being attacked, but sadly Russia Poland Ukraine etc fans are now what we were in the 80s

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a sad reflection of the polarisation of Europe this time. I feared this might happen with an enlarged tournament and many eastern nations being a lot more transient now. It will only get worse. The far right is on the rise and events such as this will become a show case. Scenes of violence and discord like this are the tip of the iceberg. I may sound like a drama queen here, but as I said, I expected it.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It sounds like the metro rumours are untrue to a degree, hope if this is correct that the lady is OK from a British Ambassador in France

Julian KingVerified account
‏@JulianKingFCO
French authorities clarifying that incident at metro involved a French woman who has been hospitalised.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
You just know we'll get fined for the trouble as well.

EDIT: I should clarify, by that I mean tonight's fiasco with Russia

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports