Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trip to Australia

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
My 6pennyworth. Firstly, do not hesitate. Go. Oz is a great place to visit despite the Aussies (Only Joking).

As for travel arrangements a stop over is tempting but it robs you of time in Oz. We have son and young family in Sydney and they have given up on stopovers as they find the kids just want to get to Uk/ Oz asap. Especially coming back you will feel pretty exhausted and all you want is to get home and your own bed!

Emirates are the new boys on the block for flights to Oz but it's all routed through the Middle East. The airports there are not a patch on Changi @ Singapore, where the 2 -3 hour changeover can be spent swimming or just on the rooftop garden . Might be worth talking to Trailfinders to see what offers they have via the Far East rather than Middle East.

We usually go in March to enjoy the late summer there and it's nice to get away from our March weather which usually is not great, except this year. Agree too that you need to budget with care. Things are not cheap but staying with family obviously helps.

Australia is a seductive place. It will tempt you to want to live there. Go and Enjoy LG.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
I was in WA a couple of times in the last two years,and could deal with most things,but......

The flies.....billions of them,everywhere and anywhere.

And the violence. Unbelievable how it kicks off.

And the alcoholism.Particularly in Aboriginal communities. Jawdropping.

For some reason these aren't mentioned in the guidebooks,but they left a huge impression on me.

The other thing that surprised me was how many fat Australians there are! Booze,watching rather than playing sports,and eating fried chicken from the Red Rooster have taken their toll on Aussie society.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Qatar Airways usually well priced and actually a good service.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
good luck to them mate.......is he an Albion fan.......not too many about in Perth , i'll keep a look out for him on my jobs although it sounds like he's snagged a job on one of the big civil projects going on in town.

ave to catch up for a pint if you get over here........i got two girls 10 and 12. And a wife ...i aint really that naughty....:lolol:

Yeah they follow the Albion - both lovely people - he is probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met - he's a great dad and a great partner - I don't worry about her over there as I know he will work hard to look after her.

Definitely will have a pint with you - lol the resident NSC nawty boy - Lololol it has to be done!!! Bet your nothing like what you come over as on here x lol lol

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I loved my times in Aus. To be fair most of the arilines going out there are much of a muchness. 24 hours in Economy in a 747 is quite dull. I think I watched about 8 films on each way. . Tho if you can dind a way to get on an A380 I suspect they're mose comfortable than a re-conditioned 747.

And Melbourne is a better place than people here are giving credit for. Bit more relaxed than sydney and less stuffy and a bit more like home than I was expecting

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Changi airport (Singapore) is indeed excellent for a stopover if you fly Singapore Airlines - they have the most beautiful rest areas with orchids and koi ................ really attractive and if you have more than 6 hours there is time to go into the City and sample a cocktail on the verandah of Raffles :)

Have a look at Quatar Air for cheap flights - stopover in Doha which even with the new terminal isn't brilliant tbh

If you can get a decent priced flight via Hong Kong (Cathay/Lufthansa/KLM) try a 24 hour (minimum) stopover on the way - my favourite city in the world

If you really fancy an adventure fly via Hong Kong and Bali (Garuda Airlines are worth a look) - a week on Kuta beach will do you the power of good :)

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Aussie springtime is best it can be very hot and humid during their summer, a direct flight can result in bad jetlag,we went by Emirates stopping over in Dubia airport for 24hours worked a treat.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Here's some excellent websites for traveling around Australia that you or anyone else heading this way might like to bookmark .

Domestic Air Travel ;

I Want That Flight ; Cheap Flights Australia - Qantas, Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Tiger Airways
Comparison site for all 4 Australian domestic airlines .

Between 4 & 6pm Monday - Friday (Tues to Sat , 7 - 9am UK ) , Virgin have an extended Happy Hour ;
Happy Hour Flight Specials | 4 - 6pm AEST | Virgin Australia

Qantas often will appear to be a slightly more expensive option , but they are the only airline that include a checked baggage allowance ( 1 x 23kg ) . All the others airlines use add-ons , which are much cheaper to do online than at the airport .

Car Hire ;

Drive Now ; Car Hire Australia, Car Rental, and Campervan Hire in Australia
Australian car hire comparison site that includes 5 majors plus the locally based Redspot

Standby Relocatations ; Rental Relocations Australia New Zealand United States Canada - Hire Now at StandByCars

If you can be flexible this company actually PAY YOU to drive their vehicles to where they want them relocated within a certain date . It's often only a token $1 a day but that's often negated with them giving you a fuel allowance . As well as cars you can also pick from Campervans & Motorhomes .

You really shouldn't come all this way and just stay in Perth - Get out there I say !!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Changi airport (Singapore) is indeed excellent for a stopover if you fly Singapore Airlines - they have the most beautiful rest areas with orchids and koi ................ really attractive and if you have more than 6 hours there is time to go into the City and sample a cocktail on the verandah of Raffles :)

Have a look at Quatar Air for cheap flights - stopover in Doha which even with the new terminal isn't brilliant tbh

If you can get a decent priced flight via Hong Kong (Cathay/Lufthansa/KLM) try a 24 hour (minimum) stopover on the way - my favourite city in the world

If you really fancy an adventure fly via Hong Kong and Bali (Garuda Airlines are worth a look) - a week on Kuta beach will do you the power of good :)

I really fancy going to Raffles! Just to say I've been.

There's so much to think about - got to sort out our workload beginning of March is looking good at the moment though - we run our own business so we have to go when we are not so busy etc. Thank you for all your help xxx

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
went about 8 years ago and had a short 12 hour stopover in Singapore; there is a hotel in the terminal and it's airside so within 10 minutes of getting off the plane we were in the room. A nice kip and a shower then some food and we were ready to get back on to the Sydney Flight. The hotel does rooms in 6 hour slots.

One thing you might get is the school being funny about taking kids out but their guidelines say (or they used to) that term time holidays should be granted if children are going to see relatives abroad that they've never met.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yeah they follow the Albion - both lovely people - he is probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met - he's a great dad and a great partner - I don't worry about her over there as I know he will work hard to look after her.

Definitely will have a pint with you - lol the resident NSC nawty boy - Lololol it has to be done!!! Bet your nothing like what you come over as on here x lol lol

dont know about that.......i am a bit of a wrongun to be honest...:lolol:

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Get a permit to work in NZ, then after 5 years you can walk into Oz. Not my plan as I feel at home in NZ, but one that many people take.

Yet again, getting into NZ is easier with sponsorship.

Cheers, have looked at NZ aswell. Just a small issue as the Mrs StillHateBellotti has Kidney Failure and may soon be on Dialysis so not sure whether that would scupper any efforts to get residency.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Oz is fantastic, as someone else mentioned, you go there and you will then want to stay forever.
I have done stopovers, 3 days each way and a direct flight with 2,4 and 6 year olds! I can recommend the stopovers if you fancy visiting other countries, such as Malaysia Singapore, Los Angeles, Dubai, sooo many options.
Don't think about it anymore, just go and is there room for me?:smile:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Oz is fantastic, as someone else mentioned, you go there and you will then want to stay forever.
I have done stopovers, 3 days each way and a direct flight with 2,4 and 6 year olds! I can recommend the stopovers if you fancy visiting other countries, such as Malaysia Singapore, Los Angeles, Dubai, sooo many options.
Don't think about it anymore, just go and is there room for me?:smile:

Thanks Hun - so many options to think about - my big concern is my daughters school I've emailed them today - we have a holiday booked in October for one week which I am taking her out for - I got flight prices yesterday great flights via honkers for 2.5k including taxes and visas - partner is just saying come on book it - f*** it let's go - I've gone into mrs responsible and am teetering - it would mean having her off school for three weeks plus one at half term.

Had words with partner this morning as he's just too impulsive and I'm trying to think about everyone - he's apologised though and thanked me for being grown up and thinking about everything - see I can be sensible at times :)

Decisions decisions

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Then again I know if I don't go I won't until she finishes secondary school I guess - ooooooo help x

And I can't wait to see my nieceymoo that long :( x

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If your daughter is only 8 then she's not going to miss enough schooling to affect her education long term. My boy was 7 when we went in 2004 and I think he got more out of it in terms of experience of australian culture, travel etc. We got him to keep a diary every day and put in stuff like tickets and leaflets. We gave him the responsibility to get something for it every day and he came home with a lovely piece of work (the fact that his old witch of a teacher wouldnt allow him to show the rest of the class is another matter).
As I said before, you are entitled to take kids out of school if they are going abroad to meet relatives they've never seen; I think it's a rule designed for children of recent immigrants who have family and roots abroad but we used it to our advantage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here