Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trip to Australia

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Ok - am toying with the idea of making a trip to Australia - next year - never been - my niece has just emigrated out to western Australia and have an aunt in rocking ham.

Three adults and one child - when is the best time to go? Best flights and airline info? In fact any info - partner really keen to just go - think I need a lot of gentle persuasion - flight a blooming long way for my liking but with a few Valium and someone to hold my hand and my kids with me I think I'd be ok!

Any info please would be fab x

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Probably best time to go is Sep/Oct/Nov and March/April/May, any time between that can be ridiculously hot or miserable and raining. I grew up in Perth, Its a lovely place, only a couple hours drive along the coast and you are out of the main part of Perth and into the nice seaside towns. Scarborough and Cottesloe are the two most common beaches with decent waves both are pretty close to the City.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ok - am toying with the idea of making a trip to Australia - next year - never been - my niece has just emigrated out to western Australia and have an aunt in rocking ham.

Three adults and one child - when is the best time to go? Best flights and airline info? In fact any info - partner really keen to just go - think I need a lot of gentle persuasion - flight a blooming long way for my liking but with a few Valium and someone to hold my hand and my kids with me I think I'd be ok!

Any info please would be fab x

you can stay with me if you want.....:)

seriously.......you will get much cheaper flights sept/oct and feb/ march emirates seem to be the best but cathay and malaysia also good.......how long can you be away for..? you could break the flight up with a stop over for a few nights..singapore/bangers/honkers.......you will still get good weather here in march...prior to that you will be likely to kop temps in the high 30 pretty much day in day out........things are very expensive here specially with the exchange rate .......if you like the beach and beer and bbq's with mates/family this is the place to be ...good all round place to come for a holiday.......although as i said a wee bit pricey.

patcham lad

Nov 27, 2009
hello there - bear in mind from november tru to april it can be too hot for touring around - possibly 40 Celsius some days - hope this helps.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Flights in general are a bit cheaper to Perth and personally I think this time of year is a great time, just coming into spring and the flowers and plants are fantastic and not too hot.

I was lucky to live down Scarborough Beach for 4 months (a long time ago) and Perth and Western Australia is a fantastic place to visit. Make sure you travel and get out of the city, been back a couple of times with my wife and hired a Camper van and travelled down south to Margaret River, Albany and Esperance beautiful places and the beaches are amazing.

If I was you I would break the journey up either going or coming back, the airlines are all much of a muchness, for me it depends on where you want to stop off to break the journey.

Are to restricted on a time when you go go with your children? Flights are expensive from early December to mid January.

Go and have a top time, you will love it.

PS. The cost of living is expensive and the pound is not strong to the Aussie Dollar so it is not cheap.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
hello there - bear in mind from november tru to april it can be too hot for touring around - possibly 40 Celsius some days - hope this helps.

Sweeping generalisation there as it depends where you go. If you're visiting the relatives in Rockingham then you're heading for mid Queensland and up which is very nice (usually) during late winter/early spring so september-ish.

NSW and around are good in spring (a little later). I wouldn't bother with Victoria at any time of year (having lived there for a year). Don't know much about WA but have heard it is stunning.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Cool thanks guys - Am looking at three to four weeks - not bothered about doing much when we are there - except spending time on the beach with friends and family. - bbq's few beers - check out the city of Perth - maybe hire a car and do a few picnics in the parks and stuff - obviously we will be staying with family so will just chick them some dollars for food and stuff or buy the shopping whilst we are there - if they let us x

Thanks for the offer Sydney lolololololololololoolol - xxx

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Spring or autumn are best in terms of cost and, arguably, weather.
Depending on how long you plan to stay is what you can do - sense says don't try to do too much but when there is only one chance to see places, sense goes out the window!

We have been to WA a few times staying with relatives and travelling independently. Camper van hire is cheap and driving is easy..... certainly worth thinking about.

In and around Perth - King's Park is lovely and Cahunu Park is a great place to kiss a kangaroo and cuddle a koala. Araluen is a small botanical garden but for me it is paradise on eaerth. Go for a boat ride on the Swan River and visit a winery - touristy but enjoyable.
The drive down the coast through Fremantle stopping to visit some isolated beaches on the way (be very careful of the surf!) through to Pinjara and Margaret River is a delight (don't bother with Bunbury).
The boutique vinyards around MR are a great place to pass some time enjoy some wine and watch some lorikeets and the like.
Don't miss the Kari forest and I challenge you to climb the Gloucester tree. Enjoy a train ride at Pemberton and meannder down to Albany and its white sand beaches. Visit wave rock and travel north and east to Kalgoorlie if you can (and don't forget to wave to the prossies!) - if you don't fancy driving there a trip on a short section of the Indian Pacific Railway is a great idea.

An alternative (or ideally an addition) is to drive north up the coast from Perth via a stay at Rottnest Island and the long drive up to Monkey Mia - the beach bungalows are idylic and paddling and swimming with the dolphins every day is pretty much guaranteed - I can't think of many better ways or places to spend time.

I guess the answer for me is to spend as much time as possible and to plan your visit building in twice as long for everything as you think it will need. Whatever you decide I guarantee you will love WA

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sweeping generalisation there as it depends where you go. If you're visiting the relatives in Rockingham then you're heading for mid Queensland and up which is very nice (usually) during late winter/early spring so september-ish.

NSW and around are good in spring (a little later). I wouldn't bother with Victoria at any time of year (having lived there for a year). Don't know much about WA but have heard it is stunning.

Speaking of sweeping generalisations!

Melbourne has topped 140 rivals to be crowned the most liveable city in the world.

For the second year in a row, Melbourne has been ranked as the best place to live in the Global Liveability Survey, taking into account healthcare, education, infrastructure, culture and crime.

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
To those of you out there now! how difficult is it to perm residency or is it better to get sponsored!

Better to get sponsered. I've been trying to get PR for years, and even though I have enough points, I have been told I will have to wait another 6 years! If you get sponsored you will get PR much, much quicker. I even had to sit an english test, even though I'm english!!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Fantastic place - fantastic people - GO !

:) really tempted - lots to think about though - whether to leave eldest here as he's at college and just go the three of us - she's nearly 8 and it's a great experience for her - she misses her cousins. Then maybe send my son over for longer when he's finished his college course - thanks though for all your advice.

Have found the flights for about 3000 quid for four of us and 2293 for three of us - that's going beginning march - so back for April when wedding season kicks in and am busy!

Thanks lads xxxxxx

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Depending on how long you plan to stay is what you can do - sense says don't try to do too much but when there is only one chance to see places, sense goes out the window!

We have been to WA a few times staying with relatives and travelling independently. Camper van hire is cheap and driving is easy..... certainly worth thinking about.

In and around Perth - King's Park is lovely and Cahunu Park is a great place to kiss a kangaroo and cuddle a koala. Araluen is a small botanical garden but for me it is paradise on eaerth. Go for a boat ride on the Swan River and visit a winery - touristy but enjoyable.
The drive down the coast through Fremantle stopping to visit some isolated beaches on the way (be very careful of the surf!) through to Pinjara and Margaret River is a delight (don't bother with Bunbury).
The boutique vinyards around MR are a great place to pass some time enjoy some wine and watch some lorikeets and the like.
Don't miss the Kari forest and I challenge you to climb the Gloucester tree. Enjoy a train ride at Pemberton and meannder down to Albany and its white sand beaches. Visit wave rock and travel north and east to Kalgoorlie if you can (and don't forget to wave to the prossies!) - if you don't fancy driving there a trip on a short section of the Indian Pacific Railway is a great idea.

An alternative (or ideally an addition) is to drive north up the coast from Perth via a stay at Rottnest Island and the long drive up to Monkey Mia - the beach bungalows are idylic and paddling and swimming with the dolphins every day is pretty much guaranteed - I can't think of many better ways or places to spend time.

I guess the answer for me is to spend as much time as possible and to plan your visit building in twice as long for everything as you think it will need. Whatever you decide I guarantee you will love WA

f*** sake - you've just sold it to me - xxxx

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex

That sounds just what we want to do x thanks x

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

She might mean Rockingham in WA, South of Perth and full of Brits..........

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Personally I love Perth, have lived here nigh on 18 years and was lucky enough to come out on a work permanent residency visa (8 years) which I converted to citizenship after 2 years.
Ironically I head for Hove on Thursday for a short work / social trip - got a ticket for Friday's game and waiting for more Watford ones to be released.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Personally I love Perth, have lived here nigh on 18 years and was lucky enough to come out on a work permanent residency visa (8 years) which I converted to citizenship after 2 years.
Ironically I head for Hove on Thursday for a short work / social trip - got a ticket for Friday's game and waiting for more Watford ones to be released.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the Amex xxxx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here