Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains shitshow - next STRIKE - October 8th (Spurs)??

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
All in all not a great day yesterday. Left home earlier than usual to try and ensure arrival at MR p & r as it opened at 2.30. Normally if you get there early there is a line of buses at the bottom waiting to go up the hill - there was none! Heard later that some buses that were coming from hampshire direction were caught up in the traffic resulting from the very bad accident that occurred at Arundel (road closed air ambulance attended). The bus we got on then broke down on the way to the amex though somewhat luckily it made it to the bridge from the uni over the A27 so we were able to walk from there. As others have said thank goodness it wasn't raining but i found the drumming group to be overly noisy and repetitive took the edge off my Harveys! Football, well, less said the better and after the game waited our usual 45 mins to an hour for the queues to die down only to find when we mooched round both the racecouse and mill road nearly back to the ground. Another long wait and after dropping off a friend in Steyning finally got home at 10 pm.
So 8 1/2 hours spent in total to attend a home match! Was it worth it? Probably not but i suspect, idiot that i am, i would do it again.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I used ST and getting there was fine, in fact we were early despite queues on the A27 as far back as the Lewes bypass.
Post match was different though. The coach sat in the park until well after 8:00 but then once on the move we were directed straight out onto the A27 with stewards holding up all other traffic.
How to solve the problems. Individual cars seemed to get in the way both pre and post match. Village way was just jammed with cars, generally wives coming to pick up husbands. So next time ban all cars from village way. Coaches & Buses need there own bus lane on the A27 west bound slip road. There needs to be police at the roundabout at the top of the slip road getting buses/coaches moving. Police stopping all cars entering Village Way. The 25 bus that serves the Uni should NOT drive through the campus on the west side but, using a bus lane, have priority straight through to Village Way. Cars leaving the Uni car parks need to be controlled. Having police at the Falmer Village roundabout controlling the flow would ensure that cars move fast but at the same time don't block the roundabout for buses.

They can’t do that, hall of residence car parks, Virgin Active gym, etc.
People need to learn that the entire world doesn’t always revolve around their own personal want, if you have to queue for a bit just suck it up, we’d all get on a lot better in general actually.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
They can’t do that, hall of residence car parks, Virgin Active gym, etc.
People need to learn that the entire world doesn’t always revolve around their own personal want, if you have to queue for a bit just suck it up, we’d all get on a lot better in general actually.

When the coaches finally moved (I'm not moaning about the delay) I could see the problem with Village Way. Just full of cars, cars & more cars. Everyone going to Virgin Gym, no way. It was Wifes/girlfriends/mums asked to come and collect someone. Signs all down the road saying 'no parking' and yet taxis parked up waiting. And those cars then had to go to the end, turn around and come back again. Shove someone at the end of Village way and stop them coming in.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Are there schedules strikes for wolves away (5th Nov)?

Not yet however Unions must give 2 weeks notice.

At least Citeh away is OK

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's one hour 19 times a year. 'They' (the club, police, councils etc) simply don't see it as a priority.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All in all not a great day yesterday. Left home earlier than usual to try and ensure arrival at MR p & r as it opened at 2.30. Normally if you get there early there is a line of buses at the bottom waiting to go up the hill - there was none! Heard later that some buses that were coming from hampshire direction were caught up in the traffic resulting from the very bad accident that occurred at Arundel (road closed air ambulance attended). The bus we got on then broke down on the way to the amex though somewhat luckily it made it to the bridge from the uni over the A27 so we were able to walk from there. As others have said thank goodness it wasn't raining but i found the drumming group to be overly noisy and repetitive took the edge off my Harveys! Football, well, less said the better and after the game waited our usual 45 mins to an hour for the queues to die down only to find when we mooched round both the racecouse and mill road nearly back to the ground. Another long wait and after dropping off a friend in Steyning finally got home at 10 pm.
So 8 1/2 hours spent in total to attend a home match! Was it worth it? Probably not but i suspect, idiot that i am, i would do it again.

Trouble is, time's a great healer. Even a fortnight's time. So we keep subjecting ourselves to the same old transport crap over and over again. It's totally half-arsed, barely fit for purpose - unless you have countless post-match hours to fritter away at Falmer - and realistically its never going to get any better. What a drag eh?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Are there schedules strikes for wolves away (5th Nov)?

None planned yet. But my wife is in Birmingham on the 4th Nov and was looking at trains yesterday only to find out that the times she wants aren’t on sale yet, something to do with timetable not finalised yet, bit strange.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When the coaches finally moved (I'm not moaning about the delay) I could see the problem with Village Way. Just full of cars, cars & more cars. Everyone going to Virgin Gym, no way. It was Wifes/girlfriends/mums asked to come and collect someone. Signs all down the road saying 'no parking' and yet taxis parked up waiting. And those cars then had to go to the end, turn around and come back again. Shove someone at the end of Village way and stop them coming in.

You would think there would be someway of blocking off Village Way before and just aftet the match, apart that is from the 25 bus, Park & Ride buses and Seagulls Travel coaches etc. carrying supporters to and fro, plus l suppose the traffic that needs to go to Brighton Uni at the end of the road.

Inconvienient for motorists wishing to go in the Woodingdean direction from Falmer, but for 30/60 minutes immediately post match it would certainly help if the lights at the top of village way could be switched to green to allow all the football traffic to disperse quickly.

el punal

No problems pre match - drove down from London and parked at the the park and ride at the racecourse but afterwards waited an hour for a bus back. Understand it was always going to be busy but there wasn’t a single bus for about 45 minutes. A bit of communication would have helped ease the collective frustration.

I was probably in the same queue as you - no buses turned up until 8.30 then about five turned up in one hit. I can only assume they were stuck in traffic after dropping off the first load of fans. Our bus exited out of Village Way and turned right down Falmer Road to go back to the race course. It was then I noticed an enormous queue of cars going in the opposite direction - why? I can only assume it was people who had parked on grass verges all the way down to Woodingdean, and by doing so blocked a quick return for the P&R buses.

As many have already stated, those in charge - the club, the police, the council and Uncle Tom Cobley really need to get a handle on this problem and sort it out once and for all.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Trouble is, time's a great healer. Even a fortnight's time. So we keep subjecting ourselves to the same old transport crap over and over again. It's totally half-arsed, barely fit for purpose - unless you have countless post-match hours to fritter away at Falmer - and realistically its never going to get any better. What a drag eh?

Oh come on, but it isn't really c***, not on a normal match day anyway. Yes yesterday may of been different, but it was an exception, how often is there a national rail strike? In fact even then, l would say that given the circumstances everyone did as well as they could to get around the problem.

In fact in my case it actually worked out in my favour, rather than just relying on a dirty slow old 25 to propel me slowly up the Lewes Road to the stadium, l had the choice of a whole line of nice comfortable Sussex Spirit coaches to take me nonstop to Amex.

Certainly for the great great majority of home games things go pretty smoothly in my experience, yes wherever public transport is involved, especially when it comes to transporting multiple thousands of people to and from sporting events like this there are always going to be problems here and there, but overall l think we manage ok.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Were the first strikes midweek, and have since moved to weekends?

Almost as if they thought midweek strikes would cause the most disruption, but a lot of folk just said "no worries, I'll work from home", so they decided to **** up weekend leisure plans instead.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Missed kick off by 15 mins then that twunt Kane scores. We then pussy foot about all night and you wonder why did I bother. Horrific PR wait to seal things off nicely.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Almost as if they thought midweek strikes would cause the most disruption, but a lot of folk just said "no worries, I'll work from home", so they decided to **** up weekend leisure plans instead.

If it means it gives them more chance of achieving their aims, they won't worry about inconveniencing people.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

To help you, personally, presumably.

Many people got picked up last night because that was their only option home.

Blame Mick Lynch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes, that's exactly it.

The most incompetent government in living memory in charge and the Unions are losing love for the Labour movement at a rapid canter.

It's pretty much making away games a lottery and home games a total PITA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here